Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

chicagoHOOSIER

Indiana vs Penn State Post Game Thread

I don’t know what you do about Smith and Fitzner. We need them both if this season is going to be fully realized  

Fitzner’s closest player comparison is an unathletic Hanner Perea. His hands are THAT bad. And then he passes up shots on the perimeter. That’s why you’re there dude!

Green got us back in the game early and then boned away 4 turnovers in about 6 possessions to let Penn State back in the game. Can’t trust him. The highs aren’t high enough and the lows are killer. 

The beauty and curse of being an Indiana coach is not one fan base is as knowledgeable about the game as ours. We support our team like no other but can shade tree coach every minute, mistake and good play made. We’ll take the W but there’s plenty to improve moving forward. 

Tonight's take... a win is a win. I don't care if we won at the buzzer or won by 50 we have to we these kind of games. Penn State is probably an NIT team. They are tough. I'll be rooting for coach Chambers and his team the rest of the season. A few things...
1) For Archie's first 20 months on the job I really haven't had any complaints. However, Justin Smith HAS to sit. I don't know what's going on. I hope nothing is wrong with his family. But he is costing us games. Start the Jagger kid over him, I don't care. But he has to sit. Sorry to the Bills fan on here but he is worse than Nathan Peterman. Goodness...
2) Is it just me or has Fitzner been a dissapointment? What is going on with him??
3) Great game by Rob and Romeo. Rob rebounded really well after a few off games. I think he clearly needs to stay in the lineup. Turnover Devonte was back tonight. 
4) Liked seeing Clifton Moore get some minutes. Think he could be a solid role player. Really don't know why Damezi and Jake aren't playing. McRoberts doesn't seem 100% yet. 
Hope this team gets ready for University 6 on Saturday. I hate those guys and they have had our number lately. 
Fitzner did not get big minutes at st marys and averaged 4 points per game. So no i was never expecting much from him.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

Why is Anderson not getting any minutes...? I know he can be a liability on defense, but he can hit a shot. Sometimes you need a shooter on the floor. End of half...?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

From what I saw when he played earlier this year he is no where near ready. His defense and sloppiness with the ball were both awful. 

From what I saw when he played earlier this year he is no where near ready. His defense and sloppiness with the ball were both awful. 
You got it. He just isnt ready and there are only so many minutes to go around.

I know Smith played horrible on offense but he did play some pretty good defense. He had the assignment of Stevens for the majority of the game and held him to 5-13. He also had 9 rebounds which is crucial to how bad of a rebounding team they seem to be.  

Also, didn’t a player from a few years back use to play catch with a baseball to improve his hands? I might be making that up but maybe that could help Smith. 

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don’t know what you do about Smith and Fitzner. We need them both if this season is going to be fully realized  

Fitzner’s closest player comparison is an unathletic Hanner Perea. His hands are THAT bad. And then he passes up shots on the perimeter. That’s why you’re there dude!

Green got us back in the game early and then boned away 4 turnovers in about 6 possessions to let Penn State back in the game. Can’t trust him. The highs aren’t high enough and the lows are killer. 

Guy averaged 4 points a game at St. Mary's.  If he's not shooting, he's just a tall body.   But Hanner Perea could never shoot like he can.   

12 minutes ago, Hoosier2014 said:

I know Smith played horrible on offense but he did play some pretty good defense. He had the assignment of Stevens for the majority of the game and held him to 5-13. He also had 9 rebounds which is crucial to how bad of a rebounding team they seem to be.  

Also, didn’t a player from a few years back use to play catch with a baseball to improve his hands? I might be making that up but maybe that could help Smith. 

Exactly.   A coach's grade on Smith will be higher than a fan's grade.

50 minutes ago, Hoosier2014 said:

Yeah, he was what they needed on defense. Held him under 10 pts of his avg. The turnovers and overall lack of effectiveness on offense are frustrating and stick out, but you grab 9- and 3 very important boards- and keep their biggest weapon in check...Smith is big in this win.

Guy averaged 4 points a game at St. Mary's.  If he's not shooting, he's just a tall body.   But Hanner Perea could never shoot like he can.   
I still dont get what some expected from him? He can shoot but there is a reason he did not start at st marys. He is very limited and his minutes may continue to go down if moore plays well or race comes back. Not ripping him but he is what he is.

Rewatching game at 2am (18 month old teething). Fitzner had a terrible ending to the game
Missed 3
Next possession missed layup
He had Romeo wide open for a layup but mishandles the ball and ends up getting fouled
Misses front end of 1 and 1
After miss could of got called for a foul going after the miss (surprised they didn’t call it on the road)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Rewatching game at 2am (18 month old teething). Fitzner had a terrible ending to the game
Missed 3
Next possession missed layup
He had Romeo wide open for a layup but mishandles the ball and ends up getting fouled
Misses front end of 1 and 1
After miss could of got called for a foul going after the miss (surprised they didn’t call it on the road)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Currently re-watching.

Smith did have a couple of key rebounds late. But..... what did he do next? He darn near turned it over with 2 bad air head passes! His inability to finish at the rim is unfortunately his trademark. He reminds me of this quote by Bobby Bowden..... "Son, you've got a good engine, but your hands aren't on the steering wheel."

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners