Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

Per Rabjohns McRobbie to blaim for lack of athletic success

Not defending McRobbie or Glass or anyone else, I’m just asking a question. Doesn’t Title IX play a major role in how athletic department monies are allocated? Someone mentioned earlier about a volleyball venue being built. I’m assuming that is predominantly a women’s program benefit. Doesn’t Title IX dictate percentages that have to be spent and so forth? Excuse my ignorance if I’m completely wrong about this. I don’t claim to be a Title IX expert or any other kind of expert.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well the thing is academic ratings are more BS than the BCS. But they do influence important things like donations. 
And our is horrid compared to Purdue across all the rankings i have seen. 

This is why I asked as I understand most to be heavily influenceable with dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

32 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Not defending McRobbie or Glass or anyone else, I’m just asking a question. Doesn’t Title IX play a major role in how athletic department monies are allocated? Someone mentioned earlier about a volleyball venue being built. I’m assuming that is predominantly a women’s program benefit. Doesn’t Title IX dictate percentages that have to be spent and so forth? Excuse my ignorance if I’m completely wrong about this. I don’t claim to be a Title IX expert or any other kind of expert.

I believe you are correct. I referenced the volleyball and wrestling facility. They both get main use of that. But even if it were title 9. The football team can still have their own lifting facility in the NEZ. Heck just look at what Clemson has....no other team at Clemson has access to that facility from my understanding. All IU would have to do after making NEZ weightroom football only.....they build another weightroom for the other programs and teams and bam....

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well the thing is academic ratings are more BS than the BCS. But they do influence important things like donations. 

And our is horrid compared to Purdue across all the rankings i have seen. 

It could also influence students who feel they have to apply and be accepted to the "best" school in the ranks, whatever that may mean. 

Academic rankings are basically a prestige and reputation factor. This may look better on a resume I guess, but I have been told by multiple physicians (oncologists, specifically) that it doesn't matter one bit where you went to undergrad, and probably does not matter where you attend medical school (in terms of securing a desirable residency and a job as an attending physician). So where does it matter then? Securing impressive LORs? Getting better access to research opportunities? Maybe better at top tier universities, but IU is not lacking in either of these departments. Departmental rankings (med, law, business, engineering, etc) would seem like they are more important because one could find which major they are interested in and research from there. 

1 hour ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Volleyball is another example where half the conference is light years ahead of us.

20 hours ago, Feathery said:

Except academic standing is falling. 

Mitch Daniels>>>>>>>>>McRobbie. It’s not even close. 

If IU wants to move up in academic standings, the way to do it is simple. Be much more selective in admissions. Basically, anyone can get into IU. Compare that to UNC, UVA, UC Berkley, and any other Big10 schools. At IU it has always been the goal of the trustees and administration to make Bloomington have one of the largest enrollments in the country for a single campus. This equals larger budgets and more dollars to control for the people in charge. Academics are secondary and athletics a distant third.  

17 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Didn’t realize IU fell that far behind Purdue in academics. Dang. But the problem is obviously both McRobbie and Glass. IU is behind in athletics and academics. Both men are culpable

I think they redid the ranking methodology a few years ago that placed a greater focus on some different criteria, including stem funding, which is partly why IU added an engineering program and Purdue started to separate itself. The aggregate undergraduate ranking has been slipping the last decade, but our graduate school program rankings remain nationally competitive. 

45 minutes ago, Gahoosierfan said:

If IU wants to move up in academic standings, the way to do it is simple. Be much more selective in admissions. Basically, anyone can get into IU. Compare that to UNC, UVA, UC Berkley, and any other Big10 schools. At IU it has always been the goal of the trustees and administration to make Bloomington have one of the largest enrollments in the country for a single campus. This equals larger budgets and more dollars to control for the people in charge. Academics are secondary and athletics a distant third.  

The problem with how IU does things with easier admissions criteria is that while the education received remains solid, it's more difficult for a portion of the student body to either graduate on time or finish at all when compared to peer institutions. This hurts the school's ranking in three ways: admission standards, acceptance rate, and student who finish within four years.

Both IU and Bloomington have been targeting out of state (largely east coast) pockets for 20 years, and just look at how it has paid off. Major campus facility upgrades and new pricier downtown apartments. Hopefully things will sooner rather than later reverse course and with newer facilities in place, the school can focus on improving its incoming student portfolio.

Of course, we've all seen how successful athletic programs have bolstered applications, so just maybe winning the NCAAT and beating Michigan and OSU in football more than once every 30 years would help?

I find the fact that McRobbie took money from our B1G Network deal and using it for academic expenditures a very interesting conundrum. Do other B1G schools do this? Since athletics is responsible for generating that revenue, should the money go there? I don't know the answer. I'm asking. ...

Has anybody seen "Friday Night Lights" the TV series? This reminds me of an episode in which Buddy (a big-shot town businessman who is a big-time booster and former player) and the boosters raised a truckload of money for a Jumbotron at the football stadium. Meanwhile, the school is in financial dire straits and had to cut teachers and is doing without basic materials. So Tami, the principal, took Buddy's money and redirected it toward academics -- nixing the Jumbotron.

Both sides have very valid arguments: Without Buddy and the boosters' work, that money wouldn't even exist. And they raised it and solicited donations specifically for the purpose of building a Jumbotron. But when the school is floundering financially, doesn't a Jumbotron seem very frivolous? ... And poor Eric was caught in the middle. He married to Tami, so wants to support her, but also is the football coach -- and wants to keep Buddy and the boosters happy. ... Great writing on that episode. 

1 hour ago, Magnanimous said:

I think they redid the ranking methodology a few years ago that placed a greater focus on some different criteria, including stem funding, which is partly why IU added an engineering program and Purdue started to separate itself. The aggregate undergraduate ranking has been slipping the last decade, but our graduate school program rankings remain nationally competitive. 

That's exactly right. I was working at IU during the time, and the slip in rankings had a lot to do with that change, and on top of that the ranking systems are inconsistent and don't include every significant or critical pieces of info.  The rankings are obviously super important and potential students and news articles use that to build the reputation of the school.  But it also makes it important for the university to play the system to adjust their statistics in certain areas that the ranking system uses to assess them.  So IU or other schools might not be doing things in their best interest, but instead playing the ranking game to get to the top of the list.  Not a real indicator of success, really has to do with how the student uses the opportunities presented to them, and IU has a TON of opportunities. 

new intelligent systems engineering program, media school, etc. are big advancements for IU that have all come under McRobbie.  They will pay dividends for the uni going forward, but they are still in their infancy and not sure if they even have graduated any regular 4 year degree seekers from those programs. 

I find the fact that McRobbie took money from our B1G Network deal and using it for academic expenditures a very interesting conundrum. Do other B1G schools do this? Since athletics is responsible for generating that revenue, should the money go there? I don't know the answer. I'm asking. ...

Has anybody seen "Friday Night Lights" the TV series? This reminds me of an episode in which Buddy (a big-shot town businessman who is a big-time booster and former player) and the boosters raised a truckload of money for a Jumbotron at the football stadium. Meanwhile, the school is in financial dire straits and had to cut teachers and is doing without basic materials. So Tami, the principal, took Buddy's money and redirected it toward academics -- nixing the Jumbotron.

Both sides have very valid arguments: Without Buddy and the boosters' work, that money wouldn't even exist. And they raised it and solicited donations specifically for the purpose of building a Jumbotron. But when the school is floundering financially, doesn't a Jumbotron seem very frivolous? ... And poor Eric was caught in the middle. He married to Tami, so wants to support her, but also is the football coach -- and wants to keep Buddy and the boosters happy. ... Great writing on that episode. 

I would be willing to bet one thing. The board won’t allow the athletic department to become more powerful than the university and probably made it so a percentage of their deals comes back to the university. They made that clear when Knight was fired.

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I would be willing to bet one thing. The board won’t allow the athletic department to become more powerful than the university and probably made it so a percentage of their deals comes back to the university. They made that clear when Knight was fired.

No doubt.  But i'd say that's the right stance for the trustees to take. 

Quinn Buckner is one of the Board members too, so there is a voice to champion athletics in that group. 

I thought I read or heard when Maryland joined the B1G, one of the items that attracted them to the B1G was the fact that a portion of the Network money will go toward academics

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I thought I read or heard when Maryland joined the B1G, one of the items that attracted them to the B1G was the fact that a portion of the Network money will go toward academics

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

And I’m sure some money does get kicked back to the university it is the fact that reportedly 26.5 million just somehow found its way to the academic buildings and their budget, and the athletics received a very low percentage out of where that 26.5 came from........