Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

Per Rabjohns McRobbie to blaim for lack of athletic success

Per this podcast:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-ride-with-jmv/e/57456497?autoplay=true

Rabjohns absolutely tears into McRobbie and basically says he does not get athletics and that is why we struggle so much and says Daniels is much better at PU. I know McRobbie is not the most into athletics but my understanding is he has done a lot of good things for the university outside of sports and just leaves it alone and lets Glass run it as he sees fit and he is not helping or hurting either way.

Does Rabjohns have something against McRobbie and his complaint is unfounded or is McRobbie really keeping us from competing at the level we need? Worst case scenario I would think he does not give much money from the University side and IU can use its athletic and BTN money for expenses. I mean we just spent a boatload on a new golf course, volleyball stadium and south end zone as well as Assembly Hall upgrade. Going further back we built a new baseball and softball stadium and basketball practice facility and the North end zone.

All of this was done on McRobbie's watch so if things are like Rabjohns says I am not sure how we have upgraded salaries and facilities (we still need to do more) so much recently.   

I recently heard rumors that McRobbie allocated a huge chunk (I think $20m) of the athletic revenue towards a non athletics related project. Again, I seen this posted on Twitter but can’t remember who posted it.

Interesting argument.  If I step back and think about it, I suppose I'd prefer my University President prefers allocating resources towards the educational side.  Let's not put the cart before the horse.  Even if true that $20mil was moved from athletics to the educational side, that's the direction I'd prefer the funds be going.  In 15 years I'll be sending my kids to college, and I'd love for a degree from IU to be meaningful.  

I know the counter-argument.  "But successful athletics provides prestige and more money for the school!"  Exactly.  So let's let the athletics provide money for the school.  As a reminder, Archie is the highest paid Indiana state employee.  By a loooooooot.  

I don't think your acknowledgement of the counter-argument does it justice in terms of short-term vs long-term gains involved with investing in the sports program.

If steering money away from athletics curbs the growth of the athletic program in terms of both performance and financial success, it is bad for academics and sports long-term.

Of course I don't know the right balance, but I also don't think a blanket statement of diverting funds to the academic side ultimately fulfills our purpose is necessarily correct either.

IU Athletics is in no way hurting for $.  Income from tv contracts, apparel contracts, ticket sales, and donations/gifts provides athletics with more than most other programs (top 30 likely).  The capital campaigns and all new facilities and upgrades (and salaries) we've seen in the last 10 years is a testament to that. 

Is Rabjohns arguing that McRobbie isn't providing enough financial support from the university?  I wouldn't think that there are any $ issues for athletics, and I don't think that's the main cause of his concern. btw, i didn't listen to the podcast above, so just assuming here.

Those at the uni definitely follow the directive from MAM though, so for him to not make athletics a priority does trickle down in the amount of effort, hiring, and accountability of athletics programs. 

McRobbie isn't going to change his priorities at this point however.  The For All bicentennial campaign is coming to a close in the summer of 2020, and his retirement will come shortly after.  A new president of IU will be chosen, and if the university and public want a president who shifts more of his/her limited time, energy, and resources towards athletics, we as fans need to make that clear before another individual is chosen to lead. 

He mentioned that we may have the worst President from a power 5 university when it comes to sports. Can't say I disagree. Personally I would love to see McRobbie and Glass replaced. 

When I was going to IU McRobbie gave a speech about how we all needed to make sacrifices to afford a secondary education... then a week or so later he announced he was receiving a substantial raise. I get that the market dictates the presidents pay, but come on... Especially when compared to Mitch Daniels, McRobbie is trash. Daniels had multiple years of tuition freezes.

6 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I don't think your acknowledgement of the counter-argument does it justice in terms of short-term vs long-term gains involved with investing in the sports program.

If steering money away from athletics curbs the growth of the athletic program in terms of both performance and financial success, it is bad for academics and sports long-term.

Of course I don't know the right balance, but I also don't think a blanket statement of diverting funds to the academic side ultimately fulfills our purpose is necessarily correct either.

Agree that it's a balance.  But if you don't ever divert some funds from athletics to education, then it's not a reason at all.  

11 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Brohm will be the highest paid state employee, by a lot. Plenty of schools have strong academics and athletics, including several in this conference. IU’s academic ranking has fallen significantly under McRobbie so he isn’t even doing well in that area. And if that is the direction IU is going, prioritizing academics over athletics, communicate that to the fans so they can decide if they want to invest their time and money into athletics. Don’t blow smoke up our butts and talk a good game while shortchanging football. 

What's your point, Vanessa.  Hard to pick through the negativity for a cogent thought.  You're now threatening to take your fandom elsewhere?  Well, bye.  

Crean was paid as a top ten coach.  Archie is, too.  Assembly Hall was ranked as a top venue before the upgrades, and remains top now.  I'm pretty sure our coaches get top budgets for recruiting, also.  This isn't an issue of funds allocation.  If Daniels were here, he'd be asking about his ROI.  

Haven’t we had countless individuals more qualified to speak to the importance of a shared weight room state that this is not even remotely an issue?

This is a rhetorical question. The answer is yes, yes we have.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A university's success is not defined by athletic performance, it's defined by academic performance.  IU has a $3.5 billion budget and just $100 million of that is devoted to athletics.  Athletics is potentially profitable, but the revenue brought in from athletics is dwarfed by other revenue streams. The athletic department is a very small part of the president's responsibility, and while McRobbie should strive to make it as competitive as possible, at the end of the day it makes no sense for the school's president to spend much time concerning himself with something that takes up less than 3% of his budget. 

The school's mission and it's financial priority is to focus on academics, and that is exactly what it should be. 

17 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

A university's success is not defined by athletic performance, it's defined by academic performance.  IU has a $3.5 billion budget and just $100 million of that is devoted to athletics.  Athletics is potentially profitable, but the revenue brought in from athletics is dwarfed by other revenue streams. The athletic department is a very small part of the president's responsibility, and while McRobbie should strive to make it as competitive as possible, at the end of the day it makes no sense for the school's president to spend much time concerning himself with something that takes up less than 3% of his budget. 

The school's mission and it's financial priority is to focus on academics, and that is exactly what it should be

If this is the case, then why hasn't Fred Glass stepped up to the plate? 

Who's more at fault McRobbie or Glass? Are we to believe that Glass is so handcuffed that he can't do what needs to be done, or is Glass just that incompetent?

38 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

The school's mission and it's financial priority is to focus on academics, and that is exactly what it should be. 

Except academic standing is falling. 

Mitch Daniels>>>>>>>>>McRobbie. It’s not even close. 

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

That's a much better argument, and McRobbie should be 100% held accountable for academics.  My only point is the the president of the university should NOT be held accountable for athletic success...  It's just a very minor portion of their responsibility.

6 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

That's a much better argument, and McRobbie should be 100% held accountable for academics.  My only point is the the president of the university should NOT be held accountable for athletic success...  It's just a very minor portion of their responsibility.

I think the president absolutely should be held accountable for sports and academics. As president, he is over all areas at the university: academics, growth, sports, facilities, research, etc. He doesn’t get a pass for sports and he definitely shouldn’t get a pass for a academic standing slide.

Lets be honest, sports is the lense that the average person sees your university. People see football and basketball on their TVs weekly. It’s a huge part of marketing the university. There is a reason you see applicantion spikes at universities after you play for national titles. Easier to get donations when sports are doing well. 

McRobbie, as President, should absolutely be responsible. If you are going to rake money from sports to pay for academics, where is the results? I see a decrease in standing, while taking funds from sports. 

If McRobbie is staying out of athletics then I don't see the big deal. If he was actively hurting them then that would be one thing, but it seems he leaves athletics to the hands of the people in charge of them. 

Fred Glass is the one to blame for our athletic shortcomings. McRobbie didn't tell Glass to hire the high school football coach without doing a search committee, that was all Cool Dad. Crean had an enormous recruiting budget that didn't deliver on-court results. That's on Glass as well. 

IU isn't an elite academic school and that's fine with me. I had a fun four years and IU helped get me to where I wanted to go after college. 

If McRobbie is staying out of athletics then I don't see the big deal. If he was actively hurting them then that would be one thing, but it seems he leaves athletics to the hands of the people in charge of them. 

Fred Glass is the one to blame for our athletic shortcomings. McRobbie didn't tell Glass to hire the high school football coach without doing a search committee, that was all Cool Dad. Crean had an enormous recruiting budget that didn't deliver on-court results. That's on Glass as well. 

IU isn't an elite academic school and that's fine with me. I had a fun four years and IU helped get me to where I wanted to go after college. 

Fred Glass does not determine his overall budget or deliverables. So, if handcuffing someone and expecting excellence is acceptable then you are right. Just because someone isn’t visible in an area doesn’t mean they aren’t involved to any degree. McRobbie is very involved and only cares about donor dollars. Been that way for years. Every renovation Glass has to fight for. The renovations mainly get us back to par with the pack. Not place us with the leaders. That is how business works. IU is a business first. An academic institution second. And an athletic institution distant third in McRobbies eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Yeah, it's embarrassing to see how far ahead Purdue is now in academic rankings. 

Edited by 7th & Bryan