Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

Just now, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I’ve never coached - how do you coach that? I always thought free throws are something you practice on your own time. I’m just curious how a coach could impact free throw shooting positively or negatively.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Accountability  make your FTs or sit on the bench. 

Make them Hit FTs before they can leave the gym

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I’ve never coached - how do you coach that? I always thought free throws are something you practice on your own time. I’m just curious how a coach could impact free throw shooting positively or negatively.

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Accountability  make your FTs or sit on the bench. 

Make them Hit FTs before they can leave the gym

Yeah, I remember back in the day when I tried to play the game our coach would set some time aside to practice them and he would make a game of it.  If you missed the shot the entire team would run gassers.  He would also create scenarios to where make the shot(s) you win the game.  It got to the point where if the coach wanted to make sure we ran gassers he would put me on the charity strip.  :-D

What's the story with Green showing disrespect to Archie last night?  I was watching when he made a knucklehead play and Archie was not pleased, but on another thread, it sounded like DG had a televised disrespectful action. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I'd like to focus my disappointment on things like that, the DD technical and other things IU players should not be known for...

11 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

We value the ball about as much as I valued my Transformers growing up

We think effort is optional

We don’t care about FTs to the extent I’m not sure the team knows those points count

There seems to be no accountability. Players do stupid stuff and continue to play and even start. 

Player development seems to be non existent. Juwan is about the same same as last year same as Al. Green and Smith look worse than last year and Moore is still not good enough to be a rotation player 

Yeah I just really don’t like what I am seeing mostly because this doesn’t appear to be a funk at this point it’s the norm as it’s been the majority of the season. 

Very accurate on most Brass. Can't have 20 turnovers and expect to win. If that number was, say maybe 10 ,I think we would have had a game. I think the repeat offenders need to sit. Anything over two is excessive. Rob is a freshman but Justin Smith knows and can play better. He looks like Nathan Peterman out there.  I agree with the effort it hasn't been there. Need Juwan to be a senior and step up. Can't get two fouls early. Hurt us last night and at Arkansas. Archie has to send a message. Justin Smith cannot start against Northwestern. I don't know if it's time to have Devonte run the 1 but IU can't have Rob turning the ball over four times. I think he just had a bad game. 

I do think it is early to tell about player development. I didn't expect a big jump from Juwan. Al looks a little better than last year. Time will tell. These next four games are going to be very telling for our season. IU can win each of those games. 

Free throws are a huge part of the game and should not be ignored in practice. They need to work with the players on form and repetition to build that muscle memory and more importantly, do it during and at the end of practice when they are sweaty and tired because that is a reality in a game. Shooting free throws on your own time is good too but doesn’t have the same impact as the above.

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Very accurate on most Brass. Can't have 20 turnovers and expect to win. If that number was, say maybe 10 ,I think we would have had a game. I think the repeat offenders need to sit. Anything over two is excessive. Rob is a freshman but Justin Smith knows and can play better. He looks like Nathan Peterman out there.  I agree with the effort it hasn't been there. Need Juwan to be a senior and step up. Can't get two fouls early. Hurt us last night and at Arkansas. Archie has to send a message. Justin Smith cannot start against Northwestern. I don't know if it's time to have Devonte run the 1 but IU can't have Rob turning the ball over four times.

I do think it is early to tell about player development. I didn't expect a big jump from Juwan. Al looks a little better than last year. Time will tell. These next four games are going to be very telling for our season. IU can win each of those games. 

I’d start Al at the 1. Al, Romeo, Mcroberts, Fitzner and Morgan. 

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

Free throws are a huge part of the game and should not be ignored in practice. They need to work with the players on form and repetition to build that muscle memory and more importantly, do it during and at the end of practice when they are sweaty and tired because that is a reality in a game. Shooting free throws on your own time is good too but doesn’t have the same impact as the above.

Especially for a team with the stated purpose of drawing fouls 

So then our assumption is that Archie just doesn’t do this considering his Dayton teams and now his time at IU. Seems really odd.

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I'd do Rob, Al, Romeo, McBob, and Morgan. Fitz and Devonte off the bench first. I remember reading a book about Steve Alford. He said Knight sat him and a few players because of effort. Might need to happen with Justin Smith. That was pathetic yesterday. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I'd do Rob, Al, Romeo, McBob, and Morgan. Fitz and Devonte off the bench first. I remember reading a book about Steve Alford. He said Knight sat him and a few players because of effort. Might need to happen with Justin Smith. That was pathetic yesterday. 

4 guard line up?

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Either Al or Rob on a turnover away from sitting and I like this lineup. Fitzner gives us a credible scoring threat and hopefully less turnovers. Bring Davis, Smith and Green off the bench. I would also find short stretches for another big such as Race or Jake. We need another serviceable big with energy for short stints.

19 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Very accurate on most Brass. Can't have 20 turnovers and expect to win. If that number was, say maybe 10 ,I think we would have had a game. I think the repeat offenders need to sit. Anything over two is excessive. Rob is a freshman but Justin Smith knows and can play better. He looks like Nathan Peterman out there.  I agree with the effort it hasn't been there. Need Juwan to be a senior and step up. Can't get two fouls early. Hurt us last night and at Arkansas. Archie has to send a message. Justin Smith cannot start against Northwestern. I don't know if it's time to have Devonte run the 1 but IU can't have Rob turning the ball over four times. I think he just had a bad game. 

REALLY????

WTH???

Why did you have to bring up that name... we released him and I thought he would just ride off into the sunset of my memory...:120:

Rob should not be starting. He made major turnover mistakes last night.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Love the title of this thread lol. Some concerns lol. We have to right the ship starting this weekend. This next stretch of games is monumental for our post season hopes. Time to move past lastnight and to do so some of the concerns will need fixed

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

1. The fact we are sponsored by Adidas and have garbage looking uniforms. My friend is a fashion editor at a New York magazine and she completely agrees. I'm not talking about the colors or candy stripes, but rather the fit of the uniforms and overall aesthetic compared to Duke and Michigan. Our upper jerseys are trash this year and I hate the stars on the back of the shorts. Why does IU feel the need to remind everyone we have 5 championships by putting them on our behinds. I would like to see Archie go with Under Armour or Nike going forward. I would like to see us wear our traditional uni's 75% of the time and the other 25% reserved for funky alternates that even include our names on the backs of the jerseys. 

Archie doesn't have control over the shoe/apparel. IU's deal with Adidas runs another 5 years at $7 mn annually. It's in the top 10 or so apparel deals in the NCAA.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What is Smith thinking at the free throw line? He must be a practice player. A guy who excels in practice but the brighter the lights the worse the game.

His misses aren’t even close. Not sure in all my life have I missed a free throw the way 50% of his look.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

What is Smith thinking at the free throw line? He must be a practice player. A guy who excels in practice but the brighter the lights the worse the game.

His misses aren’t even close. Not sure in all my life have I missed a free throw the way 50% of his look.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Let's face it. De'Ron is running out of time and is probably never going to turn into the monster we thought he would be (mainly cause of injuries), but at this point, we may want to look at starting De'Ron over Smith. Smith absolutely sh*its his pants in big games

9 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Yes, in the top 10 or so and provide solid cash flow for the program, but aside from cash, what does Adidas gives us to set Indiana as a program apart from everyone else? Our jerseys are below average. I'm sure Archie or Fred Glass can ask for a refresh of the jersey.