Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

My concern is if we continue playing like this we are going to have a hard time making the NIT. The B1G is going to be brutal to this team! Vic needs to have a talk with these guys. We need the Oladipo persona pixie dust sprinkled on them!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I thought our team was very intimidated.

Honestly, all other analysis aside, I think this summarizes it. Archie mentioned that anyone who is scared of playing at Duke should stay home - I wonder now if that was inspired by observation. We immediately came out scared to play and the early foul calls reinforced the tentative approach. I thought when RP stepped in to take the charge on Zion and bailed last second resulting in a foul represented our team’s mentality nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I thought when RP stepped in to take the charge on Zion and bailed last second resulting in a foul represented our team’s mentality nicely.

I get (and agree with) the overall point, but this specific business decision probably saved his life; physically, emotionally, and otherwise. 

To me, this loss is not as disappointing as the loss in 2015. In 2015 it was CTC's 8th year as our HC and the program as a whole was not what the fan base expected to be in year 8 of a head coach. 

This time around, I feel optimism that CAM can take this as a learning experience and help the build the program into a perennial powerhouse. I do however have the following gripes with the program that I haven't seen mentioned on here:

1. The fact we are sponsored by Adidas and have garbage looking uniforms. My friend is a fashion editor at a New York magazine and she completely agrees. I'm not talking about the colors or candy stripes, but rather the fit of the uniforms and overall aesthetic compared to Duke and Michigan. Our upper jerseys are trash this year and I hate the stars on the back of the shorts. Why does IU feel the need to remind everyone we have 5 championships by putting them on our behinds. I would like to see Archie go with Under Armour or Nike going forward. I would like to see us wear our traditional uni's 75% of the time and the other 25% reserved for funky alternates that even include our names on the backs of the jerseys. 

2. I think IUBB needs an unofficial mascot. Doesn't have to be the face of the program, but something entertaining for home games and NCAA tournament games. Can be the Bison, but am also open to other ideas.

I get (and agree with) the overall point, but this specific business decision probably saved his life; physically, emotionally, and otherwise. 

Yes, he should’ve never stepped in in the first place. Once you’re there though, you’ve signed your life away to the Ghost of RMK and you stay there.

Fun math problem: if a 285 pound boulder traveling through the air at 18mph collides with a stationary 160 pound human, with how much force does the human travel through the wall 50 yards behind them?

To me, this loss is not as disappointing as the loss in 2015. In 2015 it was CTC's 8th year as our HC and the program as a whole was not what the fan base expected to be in year 8 of a head coach. 
This time around, I feel optimism that CAM can take this as a learning experience and help the build the program into a perennial powerhouse. I do however have the following gripes with the program that I haven't seen mentioned on here:
1. The fact we are sponsored by Adidas and have garbage looking uniforms. My friend is a fashion editor at a New York magazine and she completely agrees. I'm not talking about the colors or candy stripes, but rather the fit of the uniforms and overall aesthetic compared to Duke and Michigan. Our upper jerseys are trash this year and I hate the stars on the back of the shorts. Why does IU feel the need to remind everyone we have 5 championships by putting them on our behinds. I would like to see Archie go with Under Armour or Nike going forward. I would like to see us wear our traditional uni's 75% of the time and the other 25% reserved for funky alternates that even include our names on the backs of the jerseys. 
2. I think IUBB needs an unofficial mascot. Doesn't have to be the face of the program, but something entertaining for home games and NCAA tournament games. Can be the Bison, but am also open to other ideas.

I bet the Bison would’ve taken a charge from Zion...

Just now, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I bet the Bison would’ve taken a charge from Zion...

I don't live in Indiana anymore and honestly, have no clue what the Bison is other than a large, animal.  What connection does it have to I.U.?

They could come out and play in hobo garb as long as they value each possession and play with some toughness, as far as I’m concerned. The uniform fit and finish played zero part in the way they performed last night.

And I agree with the mascot thing as long as it’s an invisible entity named “Captain Turnover Free” and he shows up to motivate us every game!

2 minutes ago, FloridaHoosierGirl said:

I don't live in Indiana anymore and honestly, have no clue what the Bison is other than a large, animal.  What connection does it have to I.U.?

It's on the seal of the State of Indiana and it was a mascot at the football games for some time in the 1960's.

6 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Fun math problem: if a 285 pound boulder traveling through the air at 18mph collides with a stationary 160 pound human, with how much force does the human travel through the wall 50 yards behind them?

Plenty. 

It's on the seal of the State of Indiana and it was a mascot at the football games for some time in the 1960's.

More importantly, it’s part of Nick’s branding so....

They got outplayed and completely bullied on the floor.  Since that Arkansas game that toughness has been missing. 

Honestly though, I'm not too worried about it.  Confidence is contagious and once that starts to spread in the locker room again that swagger will come back.  If it doesn't then this is going to be a very long season. 

And I would be completely surprised and utterly shocked if Zion is not the overall #1 pick in this year's NBA draft.   

10 hours ago, Iugradman said:

I don’t see an identity or a system with this program under Archie. We should have seen one by now. 

I think I understand what you're saying here.  I do see a much better defense under CAM.  If I'm being completely honest  I see a much better fundamentally rounded team under CAM.  And last year they progressed as the season went on.  Maybe his identity is a defensively minded team?  Who knows.  I will say he's got to fix those darn free throws though!  

2 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I think I understand what you're saying here.  I do see a much better defense under CAM.  If I'm being completely honest  I see a much better fundamentally rounded team under CAM.  And last year they progressed as the season went on.  Maybe his identity is a defensively minded team?  Who knows.  I will say he's got to fix those darn free throws though!  

Judging by Dayton the FT issue is here to stay. 

Mind boggling I have one good eye and one good knee and I can hit 70% of my FTs   How we can’t as a team is just crazy. 

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Mind boggling I have one good eye and one good knee and I can hit 70% of my FTs   How we can’t as a team is just crazy. 

That's a bummer, man.  Maybe that'll change.  Here's to hope!

Well, at least one of us can drain from the charity stripe.  I couldn't hit the ocean if I were on the beach.

I’ve never coached - how do you coach that? I always thought free throws are something you practice on your own time. I’m just curious how a coach could impact free throw shooting positively or negatively.