Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

One old man's opinion.  For Archie's style of play, he was hired at the wrong moment in time.  Romeo's a 5-star Indiana kid and in the next class Brooks and TJD both 5-star Indiana kids.  Archie put the pressure on himself in his opening presser with his recruiting comments but the fanbase also had the same feeling that we weren't landing the top Indiana kids and collectively we were pissed to see them going to MSU, VA, UCLA, etc.

I don't care what anyone else says, a 5-star rated kid has a different personal agenda and for that reason, I'm not that overly upset that we lost Brooks and not that overly enthused for Trendon Watford.  Archie's style needs more than 1-year players and not a reliance on one and dones and so I'm kinda sorta happy the Indiana '20 class doesn't have that caliber of player that demands a heavy IU recruitment.  I think we need to get Archie's style ingrained and then you can selectively go after the 1-year rentals.  And I'll also go so far as to commit heresy and suggest we stop overly obsessing on the 5-stars in our overall recruiting efforts.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Can you explain more on this part? After he committed I was a little concerned that he wouldn't really jive with the rest of the team, so it's interesting to see you say this. 

Yes and nothing that I saw or heard just my take on it. I don't think you ever want to have 1 one and done player. Romeo was thinking about the NBA and what he needs to do to get there. Some players are jealous, some players don't like one and done because he is going to the league and they think they're better than him. It just doesn't create a team attitude. If you have 4 or 5 one and done, their all on the same page, with one it's just different. 

13 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Until somebody tells me that Archie is going to get this team actually giving effort and can back it up I will see no hope for the future 

I like Archie and fully supported the hire, but I have to say I don't think he's handled a lot of things well this season. The lack of effort is one of those. After watching certain player prance around the court last night, I just don't understand how a coach can put up with that and what kind of message it sends that he does.

I totally get that he wants players to play hard in practice and wants that to be the basis for their playing time, but at a certain point, you have to base it on what happens during the games. Some players love the pressure of playing under the lights and others shrink away from it. That has to be factored in because you don't get any points for practice. We continued to see the same starting lineup almost every half, with seemingly no consideration to the on-court performance.

One old man's opinion.  For Archie's style of play, he was hired at the wrong moment in time.  Romeo's a 5-star Indiana kid and in the next class Brooks and TJD both 5-star Indiana kids.  Archie put the pressure on himself in his opening presser with his recruiting comments but the fanbase also had the same feeling that we weren't landing the top Indiana kids and collectively we were pissed to see them going to MSU, VA, UCLA, etc.
I don't care what anyone else says, a 5-star rated kid has a different personal agenda and for that reason, I'm not that overly upset that we lost Brooks and not that overly enthused for Trendon Watford.  Archie's style needs more than 1-year players and not a reliance on one and dones and so I'm kinda sorta happy the Indiana '20 class doesn't have that caliber of player that demands a heavy IU recruitment.  I think we need to get Archie's style ingrained and then you can selectively go after the 1-year rentals.  And I'll also go so far as to commit heresy and suggest we stop overly obsessing on the 5-stars in our overall recruiting efforts.

Yeah it’s rough but I kind of agree. We need stabilization, and not stars (borrowing from Old Friend). The stars may be best suited after the culture is built if it’s not the UK or Duke path (and I personally don’t want). Won’t speed up the process any but could have longer effects on the program. That sucks to admit we just aren’t that stable anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I believe we are in for another rough season. I think we need to add an offensive coach to our bench and land at least one lights out shooter to have a chance at anything. Archie gets a c- from me. The effort of this team at times is mind boggling. We score in the 50s and 60s most the time. We need help in a big way. I hope Archie gets it going soon because 4 seasons total will probably be all he gets if we don’t improve.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I believe we are in for another rough season. I think we need to add an offensive coach to our bench and land at least one lights out shooter to have a chance at anything. Archie gets a c- from me. The effort of this team at times is mind boggling. We score in the 50s and 60s most the time. We need help in a big way. I hope Archie gets it going soon because 4 seasons total will probably be all he gets if we don’t improve.

We need two lights out shooters. Sure some of these guys can improve their shooting but by how much? Without three point shooters we will not go far

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

We need two lights out shooters. Sure some of these guys can improve their shooting but by how much? Without three point shooters we will not go far

THAT!

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

I agree we need one really good shooter to spread the floor. If you get more than one on the floor at a time they are usually a defensive liability 

Saying everyone has hit their ceiling seems to be a little false. Al, DG, Hunter, Anderson, Thompson, Smith if he is here, Forrester all can get better. We lose Romeo who didn't ever want to be a part of the team. Morgan who played an undersized forward. I'm not saying we will be better but saying that all players except Rob have his their ceiling is false. 

Al has shown that he is who is is. A solid guy who can knock down some shots. Sometimes aggressive and sometimes not. Not a guy you ever want to be in your top 3 options offensively. Devonte is who he is as well. Erratic. Gotta take the good with the bad. Smith’s problem is hustle. Just like Jeremy Hollowell. Very talented but just won’t put forth the effort. Anderson is a shooter. We saw that. Defense? Doesn’t look like he’ll have be able to do. There wasn’t a single flash of good defense from him. Moore and Jake have the hustle and athleticism but not the IQ. Moore would be the best of the two with his length. But both need to spend a majority of their time watching tape. Rob has the most potential but to unlock it, he needs to find that killer mentality on offense and shoot the ball.

Al has shown that he is who is is. A solid guy who can knock down some shots. Sometimes aggressive and sometimes not. Not a guy you ever want to be in your top 3 options offensively. Devonte is who he is as well. Erratic. Gotta take the good with the bad. Smith’s problem is hustle. Just like Jeremy Hollowell. Very talented but just won’t put forth the effort. Anderson is a shooter. We saw that. Defense? Doesn’t look like he’ll have be able to do. There wasn’t a single flash of good defense from him. Moore and Jake have the hustle and athleticism but not the IQ. Moore would be the best of the two with his length. But both need to spend a majority of their time watching tape. Rob has the most potential but to unlock it, he needs to find that killer mentality on offense and shoot the ball.

Anderson is a shooter? He shot 27% from the field and seems totally lost in the court. If we have to count on him alot next year boy...

On 11/28/2018 at 12:14 AM, Brass Cannon said:

We value the ball about as much as I valued my Transformers growing up

We think effort is optional

We don’t care about FTs to the extent I’m not sure the team knows those points count

There seems to be no accountability. Players do stupid stuff and continue to play and even start. 

Player development seems to be non existent. Juwan is about the same same as last year same as Al. Green and Smith look worse than last year and Moore is still not good enough to be a rotation player 

Yeah I just really don’t like what I am seeing mostly because this doesn’t appear to be a funk at this point it’s the norm as it’s been the majority of the season. 

So glad these issues were addressed. 

I’ve been questioning Archie for a while but with the underwhelming recruiting class in 2020 and the constantly poor on court results, today marks the day I’m done. We will have to wait for 1 more bad season before we start over again. Omg. Can’t believe he’s this bad too. Really can’t. Didn’t expect to be the next UK but at least expected poor man’s Sean Miller.

I don’t honestly think their is a coach out there I’d be excited about for IU. We need a new administration, too.

23 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Concerned is a understatement. No denying this team should be better and also no denying same problems are a consistent pattern. I think glass retired to avoid this mess and what it could turn into

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

He’s a coward. He should leave now.

I don’t know if this fan base can endure the rest of this season and another one on top of it before a change is made.

There is no reason to believe we make the tournament this year and we are not addressing our glaring needs yet again next year.

Last years complete collapse caught us by surprise, we’re now expecting it and no end in sight

On 11/28/2018 at 12:14 AM, Brass Cannon said:

We value the ball about as much as I valued my Transformers growing up

We think effort is optional

We don’t care about FTs to the extent I’m not sure the team knows those points count

There seems to be no accountability. Players do stupid stuff and continue to play and even start. 

Player development seems to be non existent. Juwan is about the same same as last year same as Al. Green and Smith look worse than last year and Moore is still not good enough to be a rotation player 

Yeah I just really don’t like what I am seeing mostly because this doesn’t appear to be a funk at this point it’s the norm as it’s been the majority of the season. 

Nothing has changed