Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

Coach Dawkins’ speech about your season ending in tears or cheers because of the amount of effort you put forth really rings true. I get that the NCAA and NIT are completely different animals but did we have a single player upset we lost? I’m sure they’ll get to “run it back” when the court opens up again.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Until somebody tells me that Archie is going to get this team actually giving effort and can back it up I will see no hope for the future 
I have very low expectations for next year. At least I would by overly optimistic again.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Think about this, we were an NIT team this year. Everyone on the team seems to have hit their ceiling except Rob. We lose Juwan and Romeo. Replace them with TJD and Franklin.... so how much better will we be? Probably worse.

Where are the shooters??? I see none.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Think about this, we were an NIT team this year. Everyone on the team seems to have hit their ceiling except Rob. We lose Juwan and Romeo. Replace them with TJD and Franklin.... so how much better will we be? Probably worse.

You could be right, but why would you expect a team full of freshman and sophomore to have hit their ceiling? Al has a lot of room to grow. Deron will hopefully be healthy. We get TJD and Franklin, but you could include Hunter and Race in that class too since they didn't really play this year. I expect we will either get Quinones, Beverly, or a solid grad transfer as well. For this year's team, the difference between 17-15 and 21-11 is Rob and Al being legit 3 point shooters. If they can become that, we will be good. If they stay below average, and none of the new guys can contribute there, we will be very similar to this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre Season 7th or 8th in B1G next year at best. No matter what happens in the off-season.

Sad. Here’s to hoping Archie has a rabbit hidden in his hat somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Honestly I think it would have to be Hunter. He was the third best player on this team by all accounts in the fall. We have to hope whatever he has is cleared up and he is able to make an impact.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Pre Season 7th or 8th in B1G next year at best. No matter what happens in the off-season.

Sad. Here’s to hoping Archie has a rabbit hidden in his hat somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Someone want to make a way too early guess at the standings?

Edited by ThomasJane

Honestly I think it would have to be Hunter. He was the third best player on this team by all accounts in the fall. We have to hope whatever he has is cleared up and he is able to make an impact.

I agree with this. He’s not necessarily to shooter we need but he is the player Justin Smith should be. Would be a huge help.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes hopefully he can contribute. Romeo was obviously the crown jewel of the class, but Hunter was the one with a better chance to have a long term impact. Really hope he's ok

Its hard to predict we will be better next year given how we played this year (including against Ohio State in the Big 10 Tournament and Wichita State in the NIT) and what we've got coming back.  We lose our two best players. We have one starter recruit coming in with Trayce Jackson-Davis who may be a better defender but not likely a better scorer than Morgan. We will still lack consistent shooters/scorers, good free throw shooting. Maybe the backcourt steps up with a year of experience, maybe Hunter becomes the player everyone hoped, maybe we convince another starter type recruit to come to IU, maybe our team will figure out how to better defend 3-point shooting. Maybe Miller starts to coach at a level everyone expected.  But we can't count on any of those things.

My favorite way for our team to improve next season?

I love the attitude, skill, and intensity that DeRon Davis brought to the team late in the season. I (wrongly) assumed that he wouldn't be healthy enough to contribute less than a year past an Achilles tear. Last night I saw two occasions where DeRon slipped to the basket completely unguarded, and even at 6'10" had to lay it in rather than slam it home. Currently the young fella can barely jump at all.

If DeRon Davis can acquire/regain some level of athleticism by next October we will be a significantly better team. 

Not so sure we are losing our two best players. 

I am sure we are losing our best player, Juwan Morgan, but in retrospect, I'm trying to decide if Romeo, Rob, Al, or a squared-away Devonte Green was our second best player from the concluded season.

We're definitely losing the 2 best individual players, but agreed that Romeo's loss is not as big as it may seem as his skill set didn't fit well with the team's personnel. This is not a knock on Archie, but I think he would have been more effective on almost any other team because he needs shooters around him to maximize his skill. He would have helped on a night like last night where we couldn't get the offense going, but I think the team can do well next year without him.

I think it's somewhat similar to when Blackmon went down the last time we won the Big 10 title. His injury was seen as a big loss to our offense, but it wasn't. We already had a lot of shooters. Yes, he was probably our best shooter/scorer outside of Yogi, but we had other guys who could capably, but not completely, replace his skill set. This allowed other guys to get more playing time and round out the skill set on offense, and that was a really fun team. We will need guys to step up next year, but I could see a similar thing happening.

Saying everyone has hit their ceiling seems to be a little false. Al, DG, Hunter, Anderson, Thompson, Smith if he is here, Forrester all can get better. We lose Romeo who didn't ever want to be a part of the team. Morgan who played an undersized forward. I'm not saying we will be better but saying that all players except Rob have his their ceiling is false. 

Good teams, aside from UK and Duke, get better because they develop guys for 4 years. There's no reason to think any of the freshmen or sophomores are near their ceiling. Juwan looked like a role player after his sophomore year. We were one of the youngest teams in the Big 10 this year, generally starting 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores. These guys shouldn't be anywhere near their ceilings

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

We lose Romeo who didn't ever want to be a part of the team. 

Can you explain more on this part? After he committed I was a little concerned that he wouldn't really jive with the rest of the team, so it's interesting to see you say this.