Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

Try something different?  LOL  I have been saying that for awhile now.  But you get the "He ain't got his players".  You get the "The players aren't a good fit for his system".  And now my favorite "You got to buy into the culture".  
We are losing.  The season is going down the proverbial toilet.  
Archie seems to be a guy where you got to win his way, or he would rather lose his way.

Try something different... what different way will work when players aren’t giving full effort? I would 100% agree if the players were giving everything they had and it wasn’t working. That’s not the case.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Try something different... what different way will work when players aren’t giving full effort? I would 100% agree if the players were giving everything they had and it wasn’t working. That’s not the case.

How about this small our bench stink so how about we stop playing multiple bench players at the same time. Our starters need rest but not necessarily at the same time

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

How about this small our bench stink so how about we stop playing multiple bench players at the same time. Our starters need rest but not necessarily at the same time

I don't ever want to see a lineup with both Fitzner and McRoberts again.  Especially not when a third player is one of Forrester/Moore.

The subject of trying something different is very interesting to me.  I can see where a coach would be hesitant to do so if it's something he really believes in, has had success with in the past, and feels he will need to stock the roster with different players that suit his style of play.  He also has to recognize that the longer the futility drags on, not to mention failure to win big, things will only get worse and worse for the program.

One concern I have is that his system worked at Dayton where his team was allowed to mature and they played with experienced players (i.e. stability).  Now at IU he's trying to recruit blue chippers, guys like Romeo, who may not be here long enough to perfect their game.  When you have frequent player turnover, from starters, it seems like you'd better run a system that the players can pick up and execute in short time. 

I don't think a complex, finely tuned style of play is well suited to a constantly changing roster.  And if you're bringing in 5* talent, you're going to have early departures.

It's a judgement CAM has to make.  I'm too dumb to know what the answer is.

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I thought we tried something different last night giving extended minutes to Moore, Anderson, and Forrester.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

And yet Fitzner and McRoberts were out on the floor.

And yet Fitzner and McRoberts were out on the floor.

At times yes. We can’t go the whole game with the three I listed. But I like seeing McBobs and Fitzners minutes cut. I thought the three brought energy in spurts. OF questioned me about that because he didn’t know what bringing energy was. That’s what it looked like. The best we were last night was with those three on the court in some variation.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

I thought we tried something different last night giving extended minutes to Moore, Anderson, and Forrester.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yes, it was different and I actually liked it. I also think it is a little too late in the season to throw them in. I saw someone this morning say that maybe Davis should have been brought back much slower, than depending on him to log as many mins as he did and now he is unavailable again. They stated that was the time Jake and Cliff should have gotten some extended mins to get used to the game and gain experience. I kind of agree with that take. I would have much rather allowed Davis more time and let the freshman have time against some of the easier competition. If that happened I think they might not look as lost at times as they do now and we could potentially still have Davis available.

Yes, it was different and I actually liked it. I also think it is a little too late in the season to throw them in. I saw someone this morning say that maybe Davis should have been brought back much slower, than depending on him to log as many mins as he did and now he is unavailable again. They stated that was the time Jake and Cliff should have gotten some extended mins to get used to the game and gain experience. I kind of agree with that take. I would have much rather allowed Davis more time and let the freshman have time against some of the easier competition. If that happened I think they might not look as lost at times as they do now and we could potentially still have Davis available.

I agree with all of that.

At this point if the losing streak gets to 10 games long we will not be making the tourney and Archie better play the young guys over Fitz and Mcroberts. 

If we waste this season and then go into next year with the young guys not having had any experience that will be beyond poor roster management. 

At this point if the losing streak gets to 10 games long we will not be making the tourney and Archie better play the young guys over Fitz and Mcroberts. 
If we waste this season and then go into next year with the young guys not having had any experience that will be beyond poor roster management. 

That and Hunter hopefully is as good as he looked at HH.

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep, at some point in time you got to build for next year.

I for one am less pessimistic about next year than some. We lose Romeo and Juwan yes. But not so sure that Romeo is that irreplaceable. Yeah he’s scoring 17 points a game but 43% from the field isn’t exactly lighting it up. If Rob can develop nicely and Al continues I think we should be good at guard. 

We lose Juwan but gain somebody more built to play the position. Juwan might be the better player but TJD is probably the better center. 

We need Brooks and we need hunter to be as advertised. 

I was talking to someone earlier yesterday and he was talking about Miller being fired. I said, "He isn't going to get fired after 2 seasons, that would be ridiculous." He responded, "What if they lose out?" That thought had never crossed my mind. After last night, that is a real possibility.
Glass doesnt have the guts to make a move like that. But if archie misses the tourney next year glass may be told this is over

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Just now, Bailey7878 said:

Glass doesnt have the guts to make a move like that. But if archie misses the tourney next year glass may be told this is over

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

If Archie is getting fired then a new AD should be the one doing it

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I for one am less pessimistic about next year than some. We lose Romeo and Juwan yes. But not so sure that Romeo is that irreplaceable. Yeah he’s scoring 17 points a game but 43% from the field isn’t exactly lighting it up. If Rob can develop nicely and Al continues I think we should be good at guard. 

We lose Juwan but gain somebody more built to play the position. Juwan might be the better player but TJD is probably the better center. 

I am pretty optimistic about it myself.  There are plenty of pieces there to work with.  One you forgot was Davis.  

57 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Or cant make a jump shot.

18 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I am also optimistic about next year, because the roster structure seems more adequate. Right now, we're leaning completely on a freshman PG and do not have someone capable of acting as a true post defender outside of an undersized Juwan.

The thing that will likely still haunt us is that unless Damezi improves his defense, Al continues to progress with his shooting and plays into a starter or 6 man role, and Armaan is a legitimate off the bench shooting threat, I'm not sure we've addressed our shooting issues. Maybe the interior presence of TJD helps create more spacing, but adding Keion would really help our team offensively.