Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

3 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

You don’t have to be a ball handler to be a 3. I don’t know where that concept came from. You don’t even have to shoot to be a 3. His size and athleticism make him a 3. Instead we start McRoberts at the 3. Are you going to tell me McRoberts is better at the 3? Justin Smith is actually going to be worse at the 3 than McBob? He’s yet to find an open shot he’d want to shoot. Our offense is going to suck. We have to leave it to the defense. Going big, long and athletic is our best option. We don’t have shooters, we don’t have playmakers. Our offense will be the exact same no matter who we trot out there. Guess what? If we put Rob, Al and Romeo out there(which we already do) along with Morgan(which we already do) the offense will still be terrible because it is nothing but pick and rolls. Literally nothing will fix the offense except a new offense. That’s isn’t happening. This team has to lean on its defense to make stops and keep teams under 65.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

A 3 is a wing/perimeter player, so yes if you want to be effective it helps a great deal to be able to handle the ball and shoot the ball. It's the entire positionless basketball theory of having skilled guys at every position that can shoot, handle and distribute. Right now Justin Smith is poor at all of those things. Teams literally do not defend him whatsoever when he's on the perimeter and it's part of what is killing the offense. He currently is not a 3, or at least not a good or effective one. 

Again, the change I'm proposing, while slight, is a change offensively. It's putting Morgan at the 4 instead of the 5, it gets more skill on the court together (right now Smith is our most unskilled offensive player), while not sacrificing defense. It's also utilizing Green on the wing, instead of the point, when he comes back. He's mistake prone, frustrating and takes bad shots for sure, but let him play a role where he can focus on hitting shots and not thinking about distributing. 

I'm not sure what you mean with McRoberts? I'm not advocating for him to play more, I'm advocating to put our skilled guys (Phinisee, Langford, Durham, Green off the ball, and Morgan) in the game together so they can be more effective. 

It also doesn't hurt the defense to have our best defenders, Phinisee, Green/Durham and Langford, in more together, while you also keep Morgan from defending the big 5's because he's at the 4 spot. 

Again, it's a very slight change, but getting Morgan at the 4 could have an impact, but I don't see how it works effectively with Smith clogging things up on the perimeter. 

The position less basketball theory is absolute trash and always will be. Everyone has a position. You have to or things don’t work. We have guys who fit into very specific roles. Smith is a 3 that is athletic and long. He can defend. He is a slasher. You can make that fit into an offense that actually has a purpose. The problem is that our offense has no purpose. You think Beilein couldn’t get a starting of Rob, Romeo, Smith, Morgan and Moore to score some points? You think Knight couldn’t have? It just takes a coach with a creative offensive mind. Archie doesn’t have that. And that’s what will hurt him trying to make it past his initial contract.

Whatever makes you feel better man. Keep doing you

24 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

The position less basketball theory is absolute trash and always will be. Everyone has a position. You have to or things don’t work. We have guys who fit into very specific roles. Smith is a 3 that is athletic and long. He can defend. He is a slasher. You can make that fit into an offense that actually has a purpose. The problem is that our offense has no purpose. You think Beilein couldn’t get a starting of Rob, Romeo, Smith, Morgan and Moore to score some points? You think Knight couldn’t have? It just takes a coach with a creative offensive mind. Archie doesn’t have that. And that’s what will hurt him trying to make it past his initial contract.

Positionless basketball is not trash. Most successful teams in basketball right now subscribe to this theory. The best teams in the NBA (Houston, GS, Boston, Toronto, etc.) and most in college (Villanova last year, Michigan this year) are using multi-skilled players that can play multiple spots on the court and defend multiple spots on the court. Most teams have 1 pg, 1 big who is athletic and skilled, and then everyone else is a wing that can handle, shoot and defense multiple spots. That's where the game is going. 

I do agree that Smith should fit perfectly into that theory, he would be a perfect positionless basketball player, but unless he improves massively in terms of skill, literally nothing about his game allows him to effectively play on the perimeter offensively right now. Tell me what he does offensively that's effective on the perimeter? He's a slasher that can't catch the ball or finish in traffic. Great!

I'm not sure why you're bringing up Beilein or Knight? Neither one of them is walking through that door. Archie Miller is IU's coach and we're discussing how to make this roster more effective offensively. Yes, I think putting our most skilled offensive players (which I agree isn't many) on the floor together is the way to get this offense going. Rob, Durham, Langford, and Morgan are the most skilled, and at least threats to shoot. Put them on the floor together, with Morgan in the spot in the offense that Smith is usually in (which is a huge upgrade at that spot and would force the defense to respect it), and then round it out with Moore who has at least shown the ability to get an offensive rebound and finish. 

Yeah but I was being ridiculous before I’m told

That hasn’t changed.

This is year is trash. That’s a fact. The team was doing great, and I don’t know what the catalyst was other then injuries, but the wheels fell off.

I’m still looking at year three and four as years where there are no excuses about not having the right guys for the system. You won’t see me bail until then at the earliest.

If you’re hoping for change sooner, don’t hold your breath. Administration is probably willing to give him five or six years.

I don't know about you guys but I won't watch another IU game the rest of the season. In fact I haven't watched a single minute of the last 6 games...I just won't subject myself to watch the garbage play of this team. I keep checking the score after I know the game has ended and just hope they win game and it always ends in disappointment. I'm done with that now too. Now with Vic out and the Pacers looking like hot garbage without him there's nothing to look forward to until the Colts start back up and the NFL season isn't even over yet. Gonna be a rough 9 months without anything to look forward to in sports. I can't remember a worse month in regards to sports for Indiana fans.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, jbell833 said:

I don't know about you guys but I won't watch another IU game the rest of the season. In fact I haven't watched a single minute of the last 6 games...I just subject myself to watch the garbage play of this team. I keep checking the score after I know the game has ended and just hope they win a game. I'm done with that now too. Now with Vic out and the Pacers looking like hot garbage without him there's nothing to look forward to until the Colts start back up and the NFL season isn't even over yet. Gonna be a rough 9 months without anything to look forward to in sports.

Im ready for baseball and warm weather.

43 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:
Those of us who saw this team as bad before the season ever started we’re basically called stupid. Those of us who have said this team isn’t good and isn’t a tourney team when this losing streak began were basically called stupid. If anything the few of us should get an apology because we were sadly correct. This team is pathetic. This program is a dumpster fire. Will Indiana ever be a winning program again?

Go dig up my posts before the season started. You’ll see that I said we were screwed because we didn’t have a proven PG and we had no interior presence outside of Juwan who is a 4. Also called out that there are too many of Crean’s guys.

No one is going to pat you on the back for being negative and stating the obvious.

Oh! Also said that if McBob was starting we were in trouble because that would signal none of the high potential guys developed enough replace him.

I’ll take my apology too please!

You can disagree civilly. You don’t just call people stupid and expect them to bow down. We were right, yet treated like swine.

Calm down Joe, no one called you stupid. Whether you’re swine or not, only you know that.

4 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

You can disagree civilly. You don’t just call people stupid and expect them to bow down. We were right, yet treated like swine.

Joe,

Please refer me to a post calling you, or anyone, stupid that was not moderated properly. 

Best Regards,

Hovadipo