Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

8 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Yes rob Phinesse is a FRESHMAN that was ranked 125ish. He is starting at point guard on a big ten team. Look at the other top big ten teams and tell me who he should start over at THIS point in his career.

Cassius Winston? Ranked: 31 (junior)

Carson Edwards? 118 (junior)

Glenn Watson? 75 (senior)

Zavier Simpson - 67 (junior)

Anthony Cowan Jr.? 62 (junior)

The top teams in this league have an experienced, and talented point guard. We do not. I love rob, but he is not there YET.

IU starts Zach Mcroberts. A walk-on. Not only is he a walk-on, he has 15 total point this year and won’t shoot the ball. What other top big ten team would he play major minutes for?

Justin Smith. A sophomore who is still developing. Ranked around 100. Maybe he should be more productive than he is, but I don’t think that’s on Archie. Once you watch him play, you can’t tell me he is a starting caliber big ten player (for a top team) at this point in his career.

IU’s first guy off the bench is Al Durham. A sophomore Ranked around 230. If you want to go off pure rankings, he is not a guy you should rely heavily on in his sophomore year if you want to be top 3-4 in the Big ten.

Yes IU starts Romeo, another freshman. And Juwan a senior. This team has 12 wins because they have carried them despite the glaring holes in the rest of the roster. Two players don’t get it done in this league without quality experience around them.

Take 2016-2017 Michigan State for example.

Started THREE five stars Cassius Winston, Miles bridges, and Joshua Langford. A high four star in nick ward. That team went 18-13 and barely made the tournament in a weak big ten.

TALENTED EXPERIENCE MATTERS. IU doesn’t have nearly enough of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree with this.

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

Well, high school rankings are pretty good indicators of talent and impact. Yes with any rule their are exceptions, but for the most part the recruiting services get it right. 

However, I only used the recruiting rankings because he did. He stated we had 4 and 5 stars in our starting lineup. Which is true. But if someone wants to use the recruit rankings to show we have a lot of talent, I am going to use that same logic to show that according to those services, we are nowhere near the top of the league in terms of talent/experience. 

So, it is actually the best way to prove the point I was making. 

Not being critical of why you used those metrics, because I get that. Just saying I've never seen any data to back up the correlation between high school rankings and college output. I can think of several current NBA Superstars and even a Hall of Famer or two off the top of my head who weren't in the top 50/100 nationally coming out of high school and blew up in college. HOWEVER, using the eye test, I think what you're saying is 100% spot on.

“New NET rankings out today. Indiana now has 4 quad 1 wins and zero losses outside quad 1. Resume to date is tourney worthy. Their play questionable. Probabaly a 7/8 if season ended today. One win and things will look better”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Soooooo....all is well.  Got it.

I mean, we’re still in the tournament. And there’s still plenty of room for improvement and injury recovery. So yes and no. Have some flexibility.

Leaning so heavily on this NET crap is going to ruin things. It’s gotta be 50/50 on numbers and eye test.

They leaned on RPI before this year so I don’t see anything changing from before. They will use the NET instead of RPI. NET isn’t only thing they will use in determining teams.

I just want to see some defensive up take. It’s simple play harder then the other team (well maybe not). I’ll let the brain trust speak about the offensive challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Makes me wonder how bad the records will be on some of these tourney teams.

Oklahoma got in last year with a 18-13 (8-10)
A couple years ago Vandy got in with 15 losses and they were not even in the first 4. Teams with terrible records are always going to get in regardless of what metric is used