Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

We will probably miss it for four straight yearsWe will probably miss it for four straight years
That is mind boggling. I remember when we made it like 20 years in a row. Now we miss it more than we make it. We are just another average big ten team but with a top 5 fan base.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

There’s plenty of sense when your perspective is capable of expanding beyond a four game period of time. Wait till Archie has upperclassmen in RP, Al, Race, Cliff, Jake and Anderson.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The way I see it, Cliff, Jake, and Anderson are bad.   They may improve, but they're not going to improve much on "bad."   You either have spacial awareness or you don't.  You either understand angles and gaps or you don't.  You are either physical or you're not.  Anderson played 3 minutes tonight.  He had 2 turnovers and a foul.  That's it.  Forrester played 2 minutes.  Had a block and a turnover.  Moore showed more than that, but he's also a sophomore. 

As a team, we shot 38.3% from the floor.   (This is not aimed at you)  I don't care who your players are, you have to be good enough as a coach to get better shots than that against a very average defensive team.  To me, there's a lot more wrong than simply waiting for bad players to get older.  And I am losing patience watching us walk the ball up the floor into bad shot after bad shot.   When we do run, we seem to rush shots.  There's no middle ground.  No efficiency anymore.   We held NW to < 40% shooting as well...good enough to win almost all the time.  Unless your offense is incredibly anemic.  And Indiana's is.

9 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

That is mind boggling. I remember when we made it like 20 years in a row. Now we miss it more than we make it. We are just another average big ten team but with a top 5 fan base.

Because nobody has expectations anymore.  People can love or hate Dan Dakich, but he is exactly right.  Indiana has become just like everyone else because it's all about kumbaya.  One team.  Blah, blah....bleccch.  Give me a break,  Bring me a coach like Knight who got pissed off when the team didn't play well, win or lose.  Who heaped expectations on the players and the program.  So many people said the game passed him by.  I remember "Knight time is over..it's a new Day..vis"   Give me a damned break.  This is an embarrassing display game after game.

Because nobody has expectations anymore.  People can love or hate Dan Dakich, but he is exactly right.  Indiana has become just like everyone else because it's all about kumbaya.  One team.  Blah, blah....bleccch.  Give me a break,  Bring me a coach like Knight who got pissed off when the team didn't play well, win or lose.  Who heaped expectations on the players and the program.  So many people said the game passed him by.  I remember "Knight time is over..it's a new Day..vis"   Give me a damned break.  This is an embarrassing display game after game.

If Dakich had the solution he’d still be here. He doesn’t have the answers other than ones that are easy to create sitting at a desk behind a mic.

5 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

If Dakich had the solution he’d still be here. He doesn’t have the answers other than ones that are easy to create sitting at a desk behind a mic.

Disagree.   He's not there because of things well beyond his knowledge.  He never had a chance at the job  because he was a Knight guy and because IU's administration was convinced Tom Crean was their guy,  Had zero to do with whether or not he had the answers.  He's absolutely spot on as far as I'm concerned and I don't have any idea why so many people think he's wrong.  We've tried it every other way we can, and look where the program is.  You're selling him way short if you believe his answers are created sitting at a desk.  Not like he played and coached at Indiana for 18 years or whatever it was.

Meh I’ve made my thoughts on Dakich clear. “Knight guy” is just an excuse.

Expectations are a product of reality. Expecting to win the championship this year isn’t going to make it real. We need to build back to that. Program needs a cultural foundation to build from.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Expectations are a product of reality. Expecting to win the championship this year isn’t going to make it real. We need to build back to that. Program needs a cultural foundation to build from.

Is Archie that foundation? It starts with the coaching staff and he is either going to get it established and going or this is going to be another disaster hire

But he is still right. Expectations are just making the tourney now. Not national title contention every year.

If making the tourney is the expectation we arent even very good at that. I think we have missed like 6 of the last 11 or something like that

I said when he got hired that Archie was Crean 2.0 and got slammed for it.  Now I think he's actually worse than Crean.  Worse at player development, worse at coaching offense, worse in transition, worse at recognizing talent, worse at getting his teams prepared to play.  Yuck.

This team is so hard to watch with virtually no shooting options. I'm not so sure Archie shouldn't just let Romeo loose kind of like Carsen Edwards and let him take 20-25 shots per game. No offense is effective when you have zero threats outside. That being said I have a good feeling about the Michigan game this week and think we win by 8. Need that one bad and I think we get it done. Trust me it makes zero sense I know!

8 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Who was expecting to win a title this year?  How about just expecting consistent effort and intensity?  Or an offense that actually makes some sense?  We don't have that, 1.5 years in.

Honestly I think Dakich would have been a better hire than Crean. Because Dakich isn’t going to do his own PR to help get a pass his first 3 years, therefore if he didn’t produce, he’d be fired pretty quickly, allowing us to hire someone else

Dakich would have been a disaster for this program. He was mediocre at Bowling Green and went 3-4 as interim coach at IU.
You can win without being an abusive a-hole. Do Jay Wright and Tony Bennett look like maniacs? 

Feel like I was just hit by a bus. We’ve found our common ground gradman! Let’s agree to always agree on Dakich.

Is Archie that foundation? It starts with the coaching staff and he is either going to get it established and going or this is going to be another disaster hire

It does start with Archie.

I feel that you may be farther along in life than me - have you ever had to tear down and recreate an organization or team? If so, you already know how difficult that is and that it takes time and the right people to buy in to the plan and culture. I see guys like Al and Phin buying in. Justin Smith has shown that he gets it, but sometimes still reverts to the old ways. It all takes time. We have one senior leader who gets it in Juwan. Wait till we have a starting lineup of juniors and seniors who learned over a few years this culture. I like Archie’s strategy, but the execution is obviously not there. That’s a knock on him, but not one that he can’t fix in time.

Ball screen, dribble right. Ball screen dribble right. Ball screen dribble left. Dribble hand off. After all of that the ball ends up where it started at the top of the arc. That is my concern. I get that he's trying to run the pick n roll but to see the same thing ran for 75% of the game it makes it real easy to game plan against. Now with that being said I could live with a somewhat inept offense if the defense were elite.....but it's not. I'm going to give Archie some more time but I'll admit with each passing game he is losing me more and more. As for this season I'm just apathetic at this point and that is the most concerning thing of all to me personally.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

I said when he got hired that Archie was Crean 2.0 and got slammed for it.  Now I think he's actually worse than Crean.  Worse at player development, worse at coaching offense, worse in transition, worse at recognizing talent, worse at getting his teams prepared to play.  Yuck.
So far it certainly appears he is worse. I was so happy to get rid of crean i guess i bought into the archie hype. The state of things right now is very depressing and i dont see help on the way.