Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

Really i just remember cream touting how great the grades were several times. Maybe thats why glass did what i never thought he would and fired him.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

We carried a 1000 for a few years. Then the movement and 2013-14 happened. From those years on our scores went down.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think we are going to have to really hope Rob improves, Al continues to improve and Damezi is ready. Really need that

Yeah that’s the way he feels I think by his recruiting. I can see Rob, but I am still not too sold on Damezi’s upside on consistency to this point.

I said early in the year that 3pt and perimeter would be our biggest issues, and got poked at by several. 

I didn't see FT performance being this bad though.

NW game IMO will set the tone going forward. Of our losses this year, we haven't lost to a "bad" team. We just need to start wining vs good teams.  5 of 6 losses were on the road. Losing to Nebraska, or really the way we lost, is what bothers me the most.

Not high or low on Archie yet, but he needs to figure out a rotation that can score. Fitz is not a short or long term answer. Situational at best depending on the personnel and D we are facing.

Given this is the first season any of "Archie's recruits" are playing, I'm willing to wait and see, but his offense is awful.   We are so easy to guard it's comical, and having next to no perimeter weapons, I'm not sure I see it getting any better.  McRoberts starts the other day, and had one shot that almost broke the backboard and rim at the same time.   The ball doesn't move, it's deliberate, slow, and predictable.  I don't even see Indiana do much in transition.  It has been a frustrating couple of weeks for sure, mostly because I see no "help on the way."

Given this is the first season any of "Archie's recruits" are playing, I'm willing to wait and see, but his offense is awful.   We are so easy to guard it's comical, and having next to no perimeter weapons, I'm not sure I see it getting any better.  McRoberts starts the other day, and had one shot that almost broke the backboard and rim at the same time.   The ball doesn't move, it's deliberate, slow, and predictable.  I don't even see Indiana do much in transition.  It has been a frustrating couple of weeks for sure, mostly because I see no "help on the way."
I keep reading on many sites about coaches struggled the first two years and the third year was the breakout year. I will give archie time but if this season tanks he needs to have his breakout season next year. He simply cant miss the ncaa three years in a row. Hopefully we make it this year. It all starts at northwestern.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Stats from 7 conference games.
Points per game- 64.1(12th)
We are 5th in FG% at 45% but also rank 11th in 2 point attempts and 13 in 3 point attempts. We are last in assists with just 66.

The ball needs to move more and we need to play a bit quicker. The amount of times we have scored in transition can almost be counted on your hands. That’s with a guy like Romeo who would absolutely dominate in transition.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Tom Crean, is that you?

I haven't commented on this topic in a while as I still think it's too early to place judgment on CAM. However, this 4 game run is showing some ugly trends. Our offense is stagnant at best, which is concerning when looking at Romeo and Juwan being conference stand-outs. However, look at how often those two get into foul trouble early in the game. We also have at least 4-5 players on this team who would not be recruited to Bloomington today and several who just aren't as talented as we were hoping they would be. We have two "shooters" who don't play or can't shoot. We have 2 injured guys who would be playing; possibly starting. We're thin and it's causing problem. It's showing up in box scores when our bench scores literally zero points. Zero. And it shows on defense when our very limited talent pool is on the bench with fouls. I don't believe in bashing players as they're kids, but we also have several players who are simply an awful fit for Archie's system. Kids who shoot recklessly early in the shot clock and basically turn the ball over which doesn't hit the box score....but it killllllls this offense even more than not moving the ball. I continue to wonder if we had a couple of shooters (someone who could played like Hulls, for example) to space the offense what we could be. Purdue just trapped JMo and we had no where to go when Romeo was on the bench. It was played quite effectively by them IMO even though Fat Painter is a joke of a coach. I love it that he's their mediocre solution to basketball. I hope we can find a bright spot as the season continues, and I'd like to see more out of our offense, but I'm far from throwing in the towel on CAM. He's smart; he'll figure it out. PS - our guys also need to give a crap, which it doesn't appear they do today.

Honestly think everyone just needs to relax. With the Devonte Green news today, it's obvious that we have people that aren't all in still on the team. I think that combined with the academics issue and injuries, it's going  to take a little longer to see long term results. We've seen this team beat a zone already. I think that says enough. lol 

44 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

I think the biggest thing they could do is play the passing lanes a bit more. Try and create some offense from the defense.

That's not the Packline Defense, and would require Archie and the team to re-configure the entire defensive philosophy.

That wouldn’t exactly be a bad thing with this team. The defense hasn’t been amazing in B1G play. Tweaks need to be made for this team. No sense in continuing what hasn’t worked.

There’s plenty of sense when your perspective is capable of expanding beyond a four game period of time. Wait till Archie has upperclassmen in RP, Al, Race, Cliff, Jake and Anderson.

I've tried staying on the ledge as long as possible, but I'm worried. Very worried. This season has slipped away and I'm not seeing improvement as the season progresses. We had our best game in mid-November and it's been a slow downward slide ever since. 

That may work in the future, but you still have to try and win now. And teaching more than just one way can help the team and the players. Because not every game is going to be the exact same. You’re going to just have to go out and score a ton of points one night and the next game the first to 50 wins. That’s the biggest problem with college coaches. It is one way and one way only. Only the absolute greatest have figured out that you have to be flexible. Knight liked to play a controlled game but when it came to playing UNLV in 87’, they were going to run and the team was capable of doing it. Look at Virginia. That team has the capability to score. They have the guys who can do it. They got absolutely whooped by a 16 seed because they never tried speeding it up. Georgetown against FGCU when they got whooped. They were scoring at will on FGCU when going faster but always kept slowing it down. Some games you just have to go in with a different game plan. It can’t be the exact same every game. Sometimes your talent can make up for it like the 12-13 team. Fast teams can struggle when the game is slowed down. Just like Crean teams against Wisconsin.

I stopped reading after the first sentence.

What’s happening right now is not good. It takes time, and pain, to fix a broken program. Regardless of whether Archie is the guy to do it or not, that doesn’t happen in 1.5 years and 1 recruiting class.