Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

We don’t run sets even. That’s the problem. Just running some picks and rolls isn’t doing anything when you have guards who aren’t a threat to pull from 3 or a roll man who actually cares to roll.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Come on man you don’t really believe that do you? So we don’t run sets because we don’t have 3 point shooters? Moving on.

Remember all our optimism about having the best coaching staff in college basketball? Remember how optimistic we were about player development when we hired Schilling?

Early on things looked promising as JMO really blossomed last year but after more time I am not seeing it.

Has anyone really seemed to get much better? McBob seems worse, Davis has been hurt too much to say, Green has been a little better, Moore has had a small improvement, Smith can jump high but looked better at the end of last year, Al has been a little better.

With such an amazing staff and a great developer of players in Schilling, where is the improvement?

Sure Al and Green are a little better but they would be a little better in year 2 at any school.

So yeah it is early and admiringly I am looking for improvement on offense but some of these guys have had 2 off seasons to develop and yet I am not seeing any early improvements that warrant the claims made about the staff.

Hopefully we can start to see development, better than average development, as the year goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm too tired to pick a fight with anyone, but maybe, just maybe, there wasn't any significantly higher ceiling for McBob, Green, Durham after last season.  We're never going to know what could have been with Davis because he's injury prone or so it seems.  Smith is just a major enigma to me -- potential seems to be there, but he seems unwilling to fulfill it.   Disappointment is an understatement.  JMO just can't carry this team on his own shoulders and maybe he's wearing down from trying too hard to do so.

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm too tired to pick a fight with anyone, but maybe, just maybe, there wasn't any significantly higher ceiling for McBob, Green, Durham after last season.  We're never going to know what could have been with Davis because he's injury prone or so it seems.  Smith is just a major enigma to me -- potential seems to be there, but he seems unwilling to fulfill it.   Disappointment is an understatement.  JMO just can't carry this team on his own shoulders and maybe he's wearing down from trying too hard to do so.

Right, honestly folks dogging on the coaching staff about player development...to me thats just not fair. Archie recruited none of the guys that came back this year. And its not like a lot of these guys were top 50 recruits with lots of fanfare coming in. I know Davis and Smith were but thats about it. Maybe they have reached their ceilings, maybe not. It's certainly a big reason we are where we are. That riddled with injuries. 

Right, honestly folks dogging on the coaching staff about player development...to me thats just not fair. Archie recruited none of the guys that came back this year. And its not like a lot of these guys were top 50 recruits with lots of fanfare coming in. I know Davis and Smith were but thats about it. Maybe they have reached their ceilings, maybe not. It's certainly a big reason we are where we are. That riddled with injuries. 

So I don’t think you are suggesting that we should only expect a great staff to develop top 50 kids right? We have a cupboard full of 4 star recruits though. I would expect a great staff to be very good at developing 3 star kids and up over time.

The staff has had 2 years with many of the kids and they are about the same. Maybe 2 years with kids you did not recruit is not enough time. I can accept that, but it is as the thread title is named a concern I am having.

There's so much to be concerned about, but the biggest thing to me. It looks like the team has quit. Doesn't look like there's any chemistry. No communication out there, no fight, nobody looks upset to be getting blasted every game. Just going through the motions. The offense is just everybody standing around, I mean what is the offense being run here? It's hard to pinpoint one specific thing that's changed the past month but this got ugly quick and it has the potential to get a whole lot worse if nothing changes.

There's so much to be concerned about, but the biggest thing to me. It looks like the team has quit. Doesn't look like there's any chemistry. No communication out there, no fight, nobody looks upset to be getting blasted every game. Just going through the motions. The offense is just everybody standing around, I mean what is the offense being run here? It's hard to pinpoint one specific thing that's changed the past month but this got ugly quick and it has the potential to get a whole lot worse if nothing changes.
I agree 13 big ten games left but it feels like its already over. Winning the next two would really give us a shot in the arm. But winning on the road right now seems like a monumental task.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

None of this discussion matters, because our program has been cursed by RMK!  Doesn't matter who the coach is, we are still going to suck for eternity!
Certainly seemd like it. Seems like we needed to get this right the first time. Now we are on our forth and maybe final try.

38 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

So I don’t think you are suggesting that we should only expect a great staff to develop top 50 kids right? We have a cupboard full of 4 star recruits though. I would expect a great staff to be very good at developing 3 star kids and up over time.

The staff has had 2 years with many of the kids and they are about the same. Maybe 2 years with kids you did not recruit is not enough time. I can accept that, but it is as the thread title is named a concern I am having.

No I am merely saying maybe the problem might be that the cupboard was more bare than people thought instead of the other opinion that Archie just hasn't done a good job of developing guys. Davis was slow to begin with and then had a serious injury. Moore was a project when he arrived. Green seems committed to making the same mistakes over and over, its like it just is a part of his style and game. Durham was a 3 star guy who was looked at as a 4 year guy. Smith still has lots of upside, he's improved some. McBob is a walk on for a reason.

If Archie recruits guys and can't develop them then I will be really concerned. Until then, I am not giving Archie a free pass but also am optimistic that there are much better days ahead and player development wont be one of the problems when he gets more of his own guys in here. 

No I am merely saying maybe the problem might be that the cupboard was more bare than people thought instead of the other opinion that Archie just hasn't done a good job of developing guys. Davis was slow to begin with and then had a serious injury. Moore was a project when he arrived. Green seems committed to making the same mistakes over and over, its like it just is a part of his style and game. Durham was a 3 star guy who was looked at as a 4 year guy. Smith still has lots of upside, he's improved some. McBob is a walk on for a reason.
If Archie recruits guys and can't develop them then I will be really concerned. Until then, I am not giving Archie a free pass but also am optimistic that there are much better days ahead and player development wont be one of the problems when he gets more of his own guys in here. 

How would you say Archie’s recruits have developed thus far? I can’t see any?

I’m now very concerned about wasting Romeos one season here. Obvious we aren’t a tourney team. Makes us seem like Washington or LSU. Get a big time recruit and not make the tourney.

If we didnt have him we would likely be under .500

Well said

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I’m now very concerned about wasting Romeos one season here. Obvious we aren’t a tourney team. Makes us seem like Washington or LSU. Get a big time recruit and not make the tourney.

Obvious IU is not a tourney team? 36 at-large teams get picked. You think there are 36 teams ahead of IU as of today? Or are you projecting IU to lose every remaining game possible. Is it possible they slide out of the tourney. Maybe but to say the obviously are not a tourney team is a stretch at this point