Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

How running an offense that actually moves the ball? The vast majority of the offense is setting ball screens with the laziest rolls known to man and then repeat. That’s why we are so easy to guard. It is just dribbling and ball screens. The ball hardly ever gets swung around the perimeter to offset the defense. No drive and dish to do so. It’s the same pick and roll every single time down the court. Our guards suck at attacking it and our bigs are lazy as hell rolling or popping. The offensive game plan is miserable at best. Safe to say that Archie doesn’t have a lot of creativity on that end of the floor. Might be time to break out the ol HS playbook for some classic offenses. Some Princeton, Flex, motion. Maybe run the triangle? Something other than the trash that’s being run now. If we had the Chris Paul/DeAndre Jordan combo, it might work, but we don’t. Need a new offensive system entirely. If Archie doesn’t fix it, he’s going to get fired quickly because he’s on his way to missing the NCAA tourney yet again.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Lmao. Oh man I wish you were our coach.

To me, one easy fix would be to give McBob and Fitzner's minutes to Demezi and Clifton Moore at least then you have to respect Demezi's shooting and not sag off and then collapse down low at the first sign of a drive.

The other fixes would be on defense.. Personally, I hate the pack line and wish we would just run a simple man- to- man with the occasional zone and occasional press. If these kids have been ingrained since they picked up a basketball to defend one way, why would you install a system that is similar but completely different? No before anyone says "but our defense is actually good!" ya, but so is Texas Tech's Defense, Michigan's and Duke's, and I don't think they run a pack line. 

Why are we not good, and why is everything with IU basketball just so complicated?

So what about that do you disagree with? How about actually making an argument against it rather than snarky comments.

Oh I thought that’s what we were going with when you said it was time to “break out the ole high school playbook.” Couldn’t really tell from your post you wanted to be taken seriously, so I thought you would understand snarky. But the hyperbole in your statement was misleading. My mistake. When implying something along the lines of Chris Paul and DeAndre Jordan are the only ones that could run our offense I shouldn’t have assumed you were being over the top and that you truly feel that.

To me, one easy fix would be to give McBob and Fitzner's minutes to Demezi and Clifton Moore at least then you have to respect Demezi's shooting and not sag off and then collapse down low at the first sign of a drive.

The other fixes would be on defense.. Personally, I hate the pack line and wish we would just run a simple man- to- man with the occasional zone and occasional press. If these kids have been ingrained since they picked up a basketball to defend one way, why would you install a system that is similar but completely different? No before anyone says "but our defense is actually good!" ya, but so is Texas Tech's Defense, Michigan's and Duke's, and I don't think they run a pack line. 

Why are we not good, and why is everything with IU basketball just so complicated?

The pack line isn’t hard to understand as a player. It’s not hard to learn that’s just an excuse. Their are plenty of schools that run it just fine.

15 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I don’t find it surprising/disturbing for a coach to tell his team to focus on the other teams two primary offensive threats.  I’m sure that waaaaayyyy back in the day opposing coaches said watch out for Alford coming off a screen or a pass into Thomas without naming other players.

Clearly you want to stop the other team's best players. That's the most basic, GED level coaching statement you can make.

However, the context in this case was, hey guys, lets continue to do what we said we were gonna do to stop these two guys because that's all they've got. And they proceeded to clog up the lane with bodies to stop the inside game, get stops, and dare this team to shoot... I think if you watch tape of IU and game plan, that's the formula to beat them.

52 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Check out UVA vs Duke this weekend. UVA runs the pack line to perfection.

The issue becomes stopping teams with good outside shooters. You really have to extend the man-to-man in that case, making the pack line less effective.

The pack line isn’t hard to understand as a player. It’s not hard to learn that’s just an excuse. Their are plenty of schools that run it just fine.

Agreed. It’s just slight differences in principles. Habits are hard to break but those need to be broke with the bench. At this point if we were truly going down which I don’t think we are I think it would be best to run with others to give them valuable game experience. This is the toughest stretch of our season. The boys need to sack up and start fighting.

Well those are pretty simple offenses to run and we don’t exactly have a bunch of high IQ PG’s. Rob is a bit too young, I don’t think Al has ever made a pass to the roll man and Green is... well he is who he is. I don’t think going more simple would hurt this team because if ran well those offenses can score points and wouldn’t be too difficult for this team to run. Might make us a little less predictable. By now every coach knows exactly what we are going to do.

Did every coach pretty much know what the Clippers were going to run? How does it work so well... having JJ Reddick sitting in the corner helps, A LOT, but you already knew that. Having a slashing Blake Griffin helps, A LOT.

The problem with our offense is not having the personnel to support JMo and Romeo whether through recruiting, injury, or not living up to the billing. Anderson, when on, would be great to have in the game to open up the lane for JMo to work in the post, Romeo driving, or Smith slashing. The problem is he’s a huge defensive liability. Is he going to provide more points than he allows? Probably not. Ditto for Fitzner and Moore. I would like to see Moore get more minutes but I’m not tore up about it. Phin getting back healthy and running the point would help. Durham and Green taking good, open outside shots will help. I

t’s a work in progress. This stretch of games was always tabbed as the most difficult. If we can get through them with a few wins and then excel in February and March we’ll be comfortably in the tourney. I’m sure with your high b-ball IQ you knew that though. It’s just really rainy and cloudy out right now.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Well those are pretty simple offenses to run and we don’t exactly have a bunch of high IQ PG’s. Rob is a bit too young, I don’t think Al has ever made a pass to the roll man and Green is... well he is who he is. I don’t think going more simple would hurt this team because if ran well those offenses can score points and wouldn’t be too difficult for this team to run. Might make us a little less predictable. By now every coach knows exactly what we are going to do.

If you are a coach and were hired to man a program, are you bringing your program or changing your philosophy to fit the talent or lack thereof? Personally? I am trusting what got me there and then I am recruiting to my strengths to fill the holes in talent. I don’t know many coaches that change their philosophy for short term gain.

This team certainly has its flaws, especially offensively. But one of the things I think IU has been missing for a long time is that energy spark player. An AJ Moye or Will Sheehey type. They need someone to come in off the bench and bring the energy. No one seems to show much enthusiasm or carry it over when big plays happen. Juwan occasionally will flex after an and1 or dunk, but we haven’t had a big spark plug in awhile and this team desperately needs to play with more energy and enthusiasm and carry it over to both ends of the court. Perhaps it’s a Jerome Hunter or someone that’s been injured. Certainly need solid recruits that fill needs, but surely someone on this team can learn to let loose and play with some emotion and fire instead of being so nonchalant about everything.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This team certainly has its flaws, especially offensively. But one of the things I think IU has been missing for a long time is that energy spark player. An AJ Moye or Will Sheehey type. They need someone to come in off the bench and bring the energy. No one seems to show much enthusiasm or carry it over when big plays happen. Juwan occasionally will flex after an and1 or dunk, but we haven’t had a big spark plug in awhile and this team desperately needs to play with more energy and enthusiasm and carry it over to both ends of the court. Perhaps it’s a Jerome Hunter or someone that’s been injured. Certainly need solid recruits that fill needs, but surely someone on this team can learn to let loose and play with some emotion and fire instead of being so nonchalant about everything.

Completely agree

7 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Insert Jake Forrester!

We have seen very little of him, and I know there are issues with the game... but this is something that he seems to be able to bring!

Insert Jake Forrester!
We have seen very little of him, and I know there are issues with the game... but this is something that he seems to be able to bring!
After the way i saw fitzner get blown by at the end if the first half I would say give him a shot.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I would even think Durham could be that spark plug off the bench but he’s not consistent. If he’s coming off the bench I think we could see him doing that. Green could also be that player if he were a bit more consistent.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

As a coach you have to be flexible with the often changing landscape of the game and your own roster. Certain coaches can recruit exactly what they want like Cuse. Length on top of length for the zone. But some of the greats like Knight and K are able to have teams play in multiple ways. There wasn’t just one system and one system only. That’s what hurt Crean. He had the talent to be an NCAA tourney team in 13-14 but couldn’t adapt to the roster he had recruited. In Archie’s case, tweaking the offense would actually be easy because there isn’t exactly a ton of structure there to begin with.

Knight never deviated from his motion offense no matter the talent level. Look man. We don’t have the BBIQ or do many teams in modern basketball to run a motion style offense that will have freshman impact players. We run sets as do the majority of college basketball. The one and done era created this. In 1995 every team had an offensive system. Now every team has scripted sets at the start of the game to see how the defenses react. From there they work on specific sets. That’s why I find it funny when people complain about our “system”. We don’t have one. Nor does 80% of all college basketball. We have sets. Do I agree with his sets or what they are trying to accomplish? Not all of them. To me there is a lack of spacing a lot of times. Defenders can collapse easily on the ball and they don’t have to scramble. Part of that is lack of talent with shooters. Part of that is imo a design flaw. He is trying to go inside out with Juwan but we have no shooters. Juwan is on an island having to make a play to score. He does that screen slip well, but he is only going to get 1 or 2 of those a game. Right now if you play disciplined defense we are easy to stop. There is no window dressing we can do to create an easier shot. Everything is going to the rim. I would like to see more pick and rolls with Juwan and Romeo. But other than that we are just in our toughest stretch. It is what it is.