Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

Would be really crappy to squander an opportunity to make a tournament appearance/run with the best freshman in the country and one of the best big man in the B1G.
It would also be the third year in a row with no ncaa. And we call ourselves a blue blood!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

And it would be the second time in a decade this will have happened, i don’t know how the leadership at IU can justify keeping their jobs, especially with how crappy the football program has been.

If the basketball program keeps bringing in relatively large revenues for the school despite being mediocre, they have no incentive to change anything.

That does make sense.. Seems to be a disconnect between players. It's strange because you'd think all the practice time these guys have together, the #1 thing would be building cohesiveness. From day 1.

That’s kind of been another problem, or excuse as some would call it, these guys haven’t been practicing together a lot because of injuries. In the Butler game we had 2-3 turnovers between Romeo, JMo, and Smith where one was zigging while the other was zagging. These type of situations get ironed out over practice and repetitions. The players will get there, the program will get there.

Archie wasn’t thought of as highly as he was by other programs and coaches because he couldn’t coach. He has a ton of growing to do with the other guys but he’ll get there.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

And it would be the second time in a decade this will have happened, i don’t know how the leadership at IU can justify keeping their jobs, especially with how crappy the football program has been.
Mind boggling isnt it. Yet we keep getting duke every year like we are still some blue blood. We arent. We are a middle of the pack big ten team unless archie changes that.

This narrative that we don't shoot well needs to end.  We're over 35% from 3pt.  That's pretty much dead average.  In the B1G, within 34-36% we have Michigan, OSU, Nebraska, Maryland, Indiana, Iowa, and Illinois.  It's not that we can't shoot, it's that we don't shoot.  

Now that everyone knows we're deadly effective at the rim, let's enjoy that space and fire away.  It's a dangerous game, but math says we'll get points if we keep shooting.  

This is really only part of it.  We've dropped a ton in the metrics.  At this point I'm determined not to get too negative.  It's the easier, weaker reaction to this that really adds very little.  Appreciate the guys still posting a positive message with their criticism.

This narrative that we don't shoot well needs to end.  We're over 35% from 3pt.  That's pretty much dead average.  In the B1G, within 34-36% we have Michigan, OSU, Nebraska, Maryland, Indiana, Iowa, and Illinois.  It's not that we can't shoot, it's that we don't shoot.  

Now that everyone knows we're deadly effective at the rim, let's enjoy that space and fire away.  It's a dangerous game, but math says we'll get points if we keep shooting.  

This is really only part of it.  We've dropped a ton in the metrics.  At this point I'm determined not to get too negative.  It's the easier, weaker reaction to this that really adds very little.  Appreciate the guys still posting a positive message with their criticism.

We need to be selective in those shots though. Green dribbling and then hoisting a falling away 3 is not good, Smith leaning back on his jumper is not good, Durham and Phin taking contested shots are not good.

How do we go from looking so impressive in the first half AT Maryland to looking like we don’t know what we’re doing against Nebraska? The ball has to move, side to side and inside out. Players have to move, with a purpose to their “spots.” Durham is good from the wing, get him looks from there. Phin is good on catch and shoot 3s, run some plays for him coming off double screens with Smith rolling hard to the lane and Morgan to the corner. Morgan is good from the corner. Smith can hit from outside when he is set and not falling back.

Defense and effort will keep us in games but we have to get something from the bench. We need a consistent third scorer to go alongside Romeo and Morgan. Smith should be that candidate but he needs to start playing with his hair on fire. Hopefully, having Phin back will help with that. De’Ron needs to get healthy to the point he can give 10-15 mpg of solid basketball.

The reason we are in that range is due to the amount of 3’s we shoot. We are selective for a reason. We are deadly at getting buckets at the rim. We don’t have the shooters or type of bigs needed to effectively free up our shooters. Your 34% is the whole season including cupcakes. We are making just over 7 3’s per game in the whole year. In B1G that is going way down. We are making 30.23% of our 3’s in conference (26/86). That includes PSU and NU. Just over 4 a game. The defenders in conference are longer and far more skilled. This is why we are dropping in metrics. We can’t shoot against skilled defenders. Hell Romeo is even shooting better in conference. It’s everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

I commented about this on another post, but did you hear Miles coming out of that TO the other day, tell his team, "we know they are going to get it to Morgan and Langford, the usual suspects."???

If Tim Miles knows what they're doing, and I know what they're doing, don't you think every coach in the country knows how to guard this team? There must be more scoring options, if nothing else to keep defenses honest. Against Nebraska, all they needed to do was block up the lane and get rebounds. Same against MD to some extent (until Romeo got hot).

Heard the same thing.

2 hours ago, Stromboli said:

At this point I'm determined not to get too negative.  It's the easier, weaker reaction to this that really adds very little.  

You have a great post, but I disagree with this part.  The easy reaction to what's going on is to sit back and declare that all is well.

It hurts to admit that we keep getting outplayed by teams with far inferior talent under Archie Miller.

10 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

This

Check out @GreggDoyelStar’s Tweet:

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oh, it's our fault that the team is underperforming.  Got it.

6 hours ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

I commented about this on another post, but did you hear Miles coming out of that TO the other day, tell his team, "we know they are going to get it to Morgan and Langford, the usual suspects."???

If Tim Miles knows what they're doing, and I know what they're doing, don't you think every coach in the country knows how to guard this team? There must be more scoring options, if nothing else to keep defenses honest. Against Nebraska, all they needed to do was block up the lane and get rebounds. Same against MD to some extent (until Romeo got hot).

I don’t find it surprising/disturbing for a coach to tell his team to focus on the other teams two primary offensive threats.  I’m sure that waaaaayyyy back in the day opposing coaches said watch out for Alford coming off a screen or a pass into Thomas without naming other players.

I don’t find it surprising/disturbing for a coach to tell his team to focus on the other teams two primary offensive threats.  I’m sure that waaaaayyyy back in the day opposing coaches said watch out for Alford coming off a screen or a pass into Thomas without naming other players.

Or Chaney is going to come off that pin down screen, be there. The problem was the ball could be dumped down to Henderson on the roll for an easy bucket or kicked to Bailey opposite.

We need a third scorer to step up AND we need role players to do their job. It’s a process and eventually we’ll get there.

I have a lot of concerns but the way some people talk about these players is terrible. Fans need to have a little respect. A basketball game isn't life and death. I was upset with the play of this team Monday, but once the game was over, but I'm not gonna talk about the players or coach the way some fans do. I agree with HoosierKris in this tweet.
Check out @HoosierKrisCSC’s Tweet:

Mind boggling isnt it. Yet we keep getting duke every year like we are still some blue blood. We arent. We are a middle of the pack big ten team unless archie changes that.

I’ve been saying this all year lol! Nobody wanted to hear it.
We also need to get someone to receive the ball in the middle when the teams start playing zone on us.
Purdue is on fire right now. I’m afraid to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I have a lot of concerns but the way some people talk about these players is terrible. Fans need to have a little respect. A basketball game isn't life and death. I was upset with the play of this team Monday, but once the game was over, but I'm not gonna talk about the players or coach the way some fans do. I agree with HoosierKris in this tweet.
Check out @HoosierKrisCSC’s Tweet:

This is overblown. IU fans are calm compared to many other fan bases.