Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

Archie will get another couple years no matter what but missing NCAAs with Romeo will derail recruiting in a big way. Which, in effect, will hurt Archie even more.

I really expected this roster to be fun. This year has been the ugliest basketball I’ve watched in a long time.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Three year minimum i think before you can criticize

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I agree, 3 year minimum. I say we have to wait until Archie gets his players and gets rid of FCTC players and get his type of players to run his type of offense. If Hunter and Race were playing this year, I’m sure it would help. Having some depth would be nice too.

**Not comparing one bit, but just random fact that shocked me**

Mike Krzyzewski was 38-47 his first three years and duke and he turned out pretty okay.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Archie will get another couple years no matter what but missing NCAAs with Romeo will derail recruiting in a big way. Which, in effect, will hurt Archie even more.

I really expected this roster to be fun. This year has been the ugliest basketball I’ve watched in a long time.

Archie has Studs. Problem is Archie doesn’t know how to use studs. 

You cant just pass it around till you find an open man. You have to design plays to get specific players open. 

Body language says a lot.  How many times do the cameras catch Archie with the I don’t know what I’m doing look and then the look over to his assistants who say nothing and look as confused as him before we can start to worry?

1 minute ago, cleeter said:

I agree, 3 year minimum. I say we have to wait until Archie gets his players and gets rid of FCTC players and get his type of players to run his type of offense. If Hunter and Race were playing this year, I’m sure it would help. Having some depth would be nice too.

**Not comparing one bit, but just random fact that shocked me**

Mike Krzyzewski was 38-47 his first three years and duke and he turned out pretty okay.

Did Coach K have 2 of the top ten players in the conference his second year

I cannot definitively say we are better than what we were with Crean. I wish I could, but I haven’t been shown anything that’d lead me to believe otherwise.

I’m concerned. Very concerned.

I wonder how the locker room is right now. RP was particularly annoyed and yelled in coach’s direction during an out of bounds play in the 2nd half. A lot of them seem disinterested.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Did Coach K have 2 of the top ten players in the conference his second year

Just attempting a long grab at positivity towards the future at the moment. A man can dream can’t he? But he did have 3 NBA players and the great Jay Bilas his third year and went 11-17 (and yes I looked all that up, I never knew that). Like I said, no comparison, just trying to grab strings here and stay positive.

23 minutes ago, Jesus Shuttlesworth said:

Body language says a lot.  How many times do the cameras catch Archie with the I don’t know what I’m doing look and then the look over to his assistants who say nothing and look as confused as him before we can start to worry?

I think you're inferring an awful lot from a few seconds of camera shots.

We just honestly have to take a look at the roster, and ask ourselves- what type of record did we expect?

I was just as excited for the season as everyone else, and I thought getting Juwan back and landing Romeo would give us a pretty high ceiling.  But then the reality set in when people started posting projected starting lineups:

Green/Phinisee
Romeo
McRoberts
Smith
Morgan

That roster just isn't very good.  Really only 2 guys you can count on to score, and one of them is a freshman who's extremely streaky.  An honest-no-BS assessment of that roster says we'd go 20-11, maybe 22 wins max.

We're on track for that right now.  We're just not a very talented team.

1 minute ago, AKHoosier said:

We just honestly have to take a look at the roster, and ask ourselves- what type of record did we expect?

I was just as excited for the season as everyone else, and I thought getting Juwan back and landing Romeo would give us a pretty high ceiling.  But then the reality set in when people started posting projected starting lineups:

Green/Phinisee
Romeo
McRoberts
Smith
Morgan

That roster just isn't very good.  Really only 2 guys you can count on to score, and one of them is a freshman who's extremely streaky.  An honest-no-BS assessment of that roster says we'd go 20-11, maybe 22 wins max.

Regardless of talent we have essentially lost these last 2 games because for 10-15 minutes the team was particularly unprepared and ineffective. We were talented enough to run with Michigan for 33 minutes. No reason we can’t run with Nebraska at home

Green/Phinisee
Romeo
McRoberts
Smith
Morgan

How does our roster compare against Nebraska’s or Michigan’s. How about Purdue who lost everyone except Edwards.

How about we make an effort to not spot our opponents a double digit lead every game.

Sure there are some excuses/things to consider but this is not just one game.

Green/Phinisee
Romeo
McRoberts
Smith
Morgan
I predicted 21 wins but the way we are playing thats going going to happen.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

What about no proven PG, no 3PT shooting, and no real interior presence told you this roster would be fun?

Also, if by a long time you mean 1.5 years, I agree. The Crean Goodbye Tour was truly horrifying.

No it won’t.

For reference, please see Kentucky.

Green/Phinisee
Romeo
McRoberts
Smith
Morgan

People posting lineups with a walk-on and predicting a top 3 B1G finish is so IU basketball fandom it hurts.

No it won’t.

For reference, please see Kentucky.

They missed NCAA one time. And Duke has overtaken them as the #1 destination of late. Those 2 things don’t fully go together.

But the Kentucky reference isn’t fair because Calipari has history to support him.

They missed NCAA one time. And Duke has overtaken them as the #1 destination of late. Those 2 things don’t fully go together.

But the Kentucky reference isn’t fair because Calipari has history to support him.

Listen, you know as well as I do that one recruit missing a tourney won’t mean a thing. There will be reasons and there will be new egos telling this recruit they’ll be different. Also, as long as Romeo is drafted where he should be, no one outside of the IU fans will remember whether he played in the tournament or not. Life of a OAD. Wouldn’t see all these burger kids signing up for garbage schools (sup Washington, LSU, Bama, WKU) if playing in the tournament is really what mattered.

What about no proven PG, no 3PT shooting, and no real interior presence told you this roster would be fun?

Also, if by a long time you mean 1.5 years, I agree. The Crean Goodbye Tour was truly horrifying.

Yeah, The Crean Goodbye tour was terrible but a big part of me could laugh and enjoy the failures as it meant a new start. Didn’t hate it that bad.

As far as fun? I hoped Green could handle PG or miracle PG Phinisee. 3 point shooting I thought would be Romeo and Fitzner and improvement from rostered players. And interior presence, yeah that was always going to be a weakness but Juwan showed in stretches to play his best at the 5 last year.

If this team gelled well and used each other strengths they could be fun I think.

But instead we see disjointed offense with zero flow. And in general, a lack of effort and hustle for long stretches. I never expected us to be a top 5 team but I thought a top 10 team was a possibility depending on growth and Romeo.

Finally, I was expecting just watching Romeo to be a treat, and in large parts it has. His 3 point shooting has been a killjoy though.