Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

So some concerns I’m having...

This thread is toxic. Debating whether CAM is the right guy after a loss to one of the best college basketball teams to ever step on a court, on the toughest home court in the country, when we're highly injured and have a couple of CTC's leftovers giving little effort.  Make it stop.

12 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I see posts relating to issues in which people would like to see improvement but virtually no posts in which posters are “jumping ship” on Archie.

Does pointing out things that did not go well in a game (or games) equate to jumping ship? Not in my opinion. 

Rather than jump ship I hope we have a great season, get healthy and go to the tourney. If that happens the curb-stomping in Durham and two “sleep walking” home games against extension schools will just be a blip in the season.

You apparently weren’t in the game thread, just talking about improvements were not the only things being talked about. 

(Just to clarify I’m not saying everyone upset were jumping ship, but there were definitely some that seemed to be.)

You apparently weren’t in the game thread, just talking about improvements were not the only things being talked about. 

(Just to clarify I’m not saying everyone upset were jumping ship, but there were definitely some that seemed to be.)

Yeah. I think most everyone was talking about changes that need made quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Guess this as good a place as any for this. I was looking through the rest of the schedule and based on how things have gone so far and the tough conference matchups I see IU finishing 19-12 going into conference tourney. That's including wins against both Louisville and Butler. Also a 10-10 conference record. Am I crazy for thinking this or does it seem about right to you guys?

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Guess this as good a place as any for this. I was looking through the rest of the schedule and based on how things have gone so far and the tough conference matchups I see IU finishing 19-12 going into conference tourney. That's including wins against both Louisville and Butler. Am I crazy for thinking this or does it seem about right to you guys?

8-10 the rest of the way in conference would be painful tbh

8-10 the rest of the way in conference would be painful tbh

Personally I think that would be unacceptable even in a tougher B1G. I think 19-21 wins is what it would be if we don’t improve. Last year we played our best ball down the stretch. The B1G as currently stands looks like a gauntlet. There is always an Iowa and others that will fall off. Right now we have a lot of teams that look like potential tournament teams. By the end there will be about 7. Always is. We just better not be one of those teams that falls off.

7 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Guess this as good a place as any for this. I was looking through the rest of the schedule and based on how things have gone so far and the tough conference matchups I see IU finishing 19-12 going into conference tourney. That's including wins against both Louisville and Butler. Also a 10-10 conference record. Am I crazy for thinking this or does it seem about right to you guys?

It's hard to look at where they are right now and project the improvement over the season. I guess I'm hoping we see the same kind of improvement over the next month or six weeks that we saw last year. If the young guys start getting a better grasp of the concepts, I think we could be a pretty dangerous team by the time league play is in the critical stages.

All that wordiness is my way of saying that I hope you are underestimating their trajectory.

It's hard to look at where they are right now and project the improvement over the season. I guess I'm hoping we see the same kind of improvement over the next month or six weeks that we saw last year. If the young guys start getting a better grasp of the concepts, I think we could be a pretty dangerous team by the time league play is in the critical stages.
All that wordiness is my way of saying that I hope you are underestimating their trajectory.

This is where I am.

48 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

FT’s and turnovers seem to be here to stay. We averaged 12.5 turnovers last year and averaging 15.6 so far this year. This team plays lazy too often. With some of the athletes we have, no reason we aren’t playing the passing lanes a bit more. Every team needs to play the passing lanes on us because we will give them the ball without any thought. Will be a year of wasted talented at Indiana yet again. Wasted talented in Vonlehs season, Eric Gordon’s season, Thomas Bryant’s second season and now this year. Welcome to IU basketball now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

"End of the road. Not much to do. And no hope of things getting better."

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I truly feel sorry for you that your idea of IU basketball is based off of the last 10-12 years. Since that is all you have seen and truly remember. But damn you are negative lol. I can understand Gradman because he is at least old enough to know what good teams at IU are like. You need a hug man. It isn’t as bad as you are making it out to be. You are on a roll today spreading your holiday cheer.

Maybe he needs a hooker, booze,  ... and/or a fattie?!?!  :farting_smiley:  

Having 3 stars isn’t an excuse. A great coach can win with some 3’s, 4’s and a 5. That’s what we have. Talent is needed but there are teams do better than us with less.

There really isn’t though with a coach that is a second year coach. OSU did good last year but having a fourth year 5* sort of helps. If you think 3* isn’t a problem then we might as well have kept Crean since there is no difference.

Again you said “Talent is needed but there are teams that do better with less”. This is what we have been talking about!!!! Culture man. It means something. Michigan sucked with Belein until he cycled through and got his kids that bought into his culture. If you want instant gratification you are going to be sorely disappointed. This was never going to be a one year turnaround but we are heads and shoulders above last year. That’s what was needed.

18 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

The past 25 years we’ve done nothing. I was born and raised an IU fan. Spent a lot time watching old IU games. I’m basing it off that fact that nothing good outside about 3 seasons has happened since I was born. Knight was fired and Davis was hired. Davis was terrible outside of 01-02. Then Sampson who put IU into the Abyss. Crean gave us 3 good seasons. Why would I, as a young IU fan be optimistic? Sure we got a big recruit. We’ve done that plenty before without anything big happening. Most IU fans either went there for school or were born and raised that way. We aren’t turning anyone.

Rough week? 

Well, if you can’t notice the changes in recruiting and realize cycling through the roster is going to massively change things I don’t know what to tell you. I don’t live in the past so it is what it is. But I can tell you it’s pretty unhealthy. We are cycling out 3 stars for 4 and 5 stars. The 5 stars being instant impact guys compared to who they are replacing. The four star guys are mostly four players need to build a solid roster. They are not instant impact change 25 years overnight type of guys. They are roster builders much like the UM guys you were fawning over earlier.

Look at soph, junior, and senior classes. Look at who they are getting cycled out for. That’s my reason for optimism. Sorry you want instant gratification. But that’s not how the real world typically works in any way of life. A culture change does not happen overnight. In business, in sport, or in life. This isn’t a video game. If you are frustrated with the past fine. But what does that prove or help with? You should get with the here and now and take an objective look at the roster cycling. Then sit back and enjoy what is going on.

Great post

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk