Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

monskisprodigy

Injury Updates

I think it's safe to say not everyone reacts the same to a blow to the head. Where on the head the blow occurs probably makes a difference as well. I just saw a video clip on the news of a kid hitting his head on the backboard trying to block a fast break layup. It knocked him back and down to the floor. It looked bad, but he got up and went back in the game a little while after. I can't believe he did not have some kind of injury.
I think kids in contact sports numbers will get so low in 20 years who knows what youth sports will remain. Iv'e met parents whos kids had mild concussions and they freaked out so much they acted like they had brain cancer. One guy sat his kid out his whole sr year even though he could have played over half of it. Thats the future. Maybe we fan get the ncaa to give teams 15 plus grants to account for players being out

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

If this happened to one of our players, he'd probably be out for the season, forced to walk around with his head covered in bubble wrap and have to take a course on concussion safety. (This kid returned to the game, by the way)

We are one injury away from having to play walk ons. Somehow i doubt we get through the year without somebody else sitting out with concussion protocol. Did we get massivly sued or something?

14 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

I think kids in contact sports numbers will get so low in 20 years who knows what youth sports will remain. Iv'e met parents whos kids had mild concussions and they freaked out so much they acted like they had brain cancer. One guy sat his kid out his whole sr year even though he could have played over half of it. Thats the future. Maybe we fan get the ncaa to give teams 15 plus grants to account for players being out

If the future is people taking care of their kids that's great.  Proud to hear it

If the future is people taking care of their kids that's great.  Proud to hear it
Yep i agree im just saying sports wont be around except nom contact ones. The sunday afternoon nfl fanatics will have to find something else to do. At least we taxpayers wont have to shell out billions for stadiums anymore

Non contact like college basketball? Doesn’t appear it’ll be around either based on recent head injuries. Maybe it will evolve into hockey where mandatory helmets must be worn.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

16 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I was under the impression false positives were about 1/7 of total. Not sure I’d call that a ton when it’s the kids brains we are protecting. 

1 out of every 7 is definitely a ton when it comes to false positives. With any little bump resulting in being tested there has to be tons of tests and if 1 out of every 7 is falsely saying concussion that is a problem. Especially if then they go into a protocol to get cleared to play that sounds as if it is very hard to pass even for somebody who has never had a concussion...

As stated this is 1 of the reasons athletes will try to hide any symptoms etc. They know they are fine but the test will say otherwise then it will take them months to be able to do anything.

8 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

I have heard people say this before. Do you actually believe this will happen?

There is no chance, there is always somebody willing to take the risks.... there are a lot of people in really bad situations and the only way out is through sports... ANYTHING literally ANY RISK is worth the reward of being able to get out of those type of situations.

Just now, Str8Hoosiers said:

1 out of every 7 is definitely a ton when it comes to false positives. With any little bump resulting in being tested there has to be tons of tests and if 1 out of every 7 is falsely saying concussion that is a problem. Especially if then they go into a protocol to get cleared to play that sounds as if it is very hard to pass even for somebody who has never had a concussion...

As stated this is 1 of the reasons athletes will try to hide any symptoms etc. They know they are fine but the test will say otherwise then it will take them months to be able to do anything.

Guess it’s persoective. If somebody tells me I need to be extra careful because I’m at extra risk of terrible brain damage and they are right 6 out of 7 times I am not going to give a rats behind on the days they are wrong. 

All this being said... IU NEEEEEEEDS  Rob @ Michigan. Green is good in a complementary role, but he's not the same type of under control, fundamental type of PG Rob is. Not to mention, Rob has a 2:1 asst/to ratio while Green is around 1.4:1, averaging a TO more per game. I think that will be huge in a game against one of the best defensive teams in the country.

8 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

All this being said... IU NEEEEEEEDS  Rob @ Michigan. Green is good in a complementary role, but he's not the same type of under control, fundamental type of PG Rob is. Not to mention, Rob has a 2:1 asst/to ratio while Green is around 1.4:1, averaging a TO more per game. I think that will be huge in a game against one of the best defensive teams in the country.

He’s confirmed out. Let’s just hope he’s back by Wednesday so he has some time to get the rust off before Maryland

21 minutes ago, iuhoosierfan90 said:

Concussion protocol is scientifically based.  The issue with concussions is that they are largely symptomatically diagnosed unless there is someone knocked out cold.  

So while NFL players like a Tom Brady have the ability to say they're not playing (and I'm not sure he had held himself out properly if you listen to his wife speaking about his concussions), the journey-men NFL players don't have that luxury.  With a 53 man squad, teams need players who are actually able to play on Sundays.  They can't hold roster spots for concussions...with players who are easily replaced.  So, I'm guessing that many of the NFL players aren't 100% honest about their symptoms.  

I would say that a minimum of two weeks is necessary to return properly from concussion protocol.  Zero physical activity until symptoms subside (headaches, sensitivity to light/sound etc.  for 48 hours.  Then you go about your normal activities for a couple of days without physical activity.  Return to screens (TV, Computer, Phones etc) if that is ok then 48 hours later you try to do physical exercise on a non-jarring cardio equipment (bike elliptical etc) at about 50%.  You want the increased bloodflow  to come back to the brain slowly which is why you don't go back to 100% cardio workouts.  If that goes well, then 48 hours later you go to a higher rate of cardio, then 48 hours later, you progress to 100% cardio on non-jarring machines, then if you're still OK , you go to running.  At any point in time, if symptoms come back, you back up a step and start the process again.  

Kudos to IU for allowing these kids the ability to heal properly.  It's serious.  And shame on all of you "fans" who care more about winning a game then these kids well-being.  

I haven't seen a single person on here say that they care more about winning games than the players' well-being, or even say anything that would imply that. 

I think it would be useful if someone from the athletic department would explain what the concussion protocol at IU consists of. Something as as serious as this should probably be mandated by the NCAA and administered in a consistent manner. Maybe it is and is just not public knowledge. It is usually where a lack of information exists that speculation runs rampant.

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Everybody saying IU is being overly cautious is saying that. Albeit indirectly. 

I disagree. People don't want IU to rush players back before they're healthy, we're just confused by what's going on. The bump Rob took didn't look serious at all but it's got him out for 2+ weeks. It's just odd to me.