Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

monskisprodigy

Injury Updates

13 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

My argument was most were just fine. Heck early Football used leather helmets.

NFL football and Boxing\MMA are the two most extreme sports when it comes to concussions. If anybody is going to have lingering symptoms it would be those guys.

The fact that there is a billion dollar lawsuit/settlement resting on symptoms that are mostly subjective is going to alter the data. We have to realize this. I don’t think enough people factor these elements into the bigger picture.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My point was were they really just fine or were they just unrecognized. Everybody thought the CTE people were fine till that was diagnosed. 

23 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

NFL football and Boxing\MMA are the two most extreme sports when it comes to concussions. If anybody is going to have lingering symptoms it would be those guys.

The fact that there is a billion dollar lawsuit/settlement resting on symptoms that are mostly subjective is going to alter the data. We have to realize this. I don’t think enough people factor these elements into the bigger picture.

Isn't there an element of selection bias too, because they can only study brains that are donated, and the people who donate the brains already had reason to suspect the deceased suffered from CTE?

I don't consider myself a skeptic on this issue by any means. It's common sense that repeated blows to the head isn't good for you. But, I do wonder if the research is causing people to become overly cautious. Of course, it's better to be overly cautious than careless, but it seems crazy to me that a small bump on the head like the one Phinisee took could cause a concussion. I'm not a doctor though, so I could be way off. I'm not upset that IU is being cautious, just a little confused with what's going on. 

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

They can diagnose it now when you are alive. Favre is experiencing it and so is randel el. 

They may be showing symptoms but a definitive diagnosis isn't possible without an autopsy.

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/brain-health/diagnosing-cte-in-living-patients

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

They can diagnose it now when you are alive. Favre is experiencing it and so is randel el. 

Ahh didn't know that. It doesn't surprise me at all that Favre is experiencing it. He played until he was 41. Let's say he started playing football in elementary school. That's around 30 years of taking shots to the head. All the sacks he took. If I ever have kids I will definitely discourage them from ever playing football.  

Early football knew how to tackle without their heads. I used to work with a guy who played in the 40s and early 50s. After playing Football in the military, he went on to become Captain at Illinois. He complained all the time about how players don't know how to tackle properly and go after the highlight hits.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Early football knew how to tackle without their heads. I used to work with a guy who played in the 40s and early 50s. After playing Football in the military, he went on to become Captain at Illinois. He complained all the time about how players don't know how to tackle properly and go after the highlight hits.

Athletes are so much faster, stronger, and more explosive than in the 40's and 50's it's almost a joke to compare the modern era to then. As a result, collisions are extremely violent. Violent collisions lead to trauma all over the body including the head.

On tackling properly - Do you think the modern running backs in this era can be arm tackled? They are built like bowling balls and your arm will bounce right off them. They also run/cut way too fast to "square up" properly. Proper tackling is a great idea but it just won't work against the caliber of athletes playing today. It worked in the 40's and 50's when your opponents were guys who smoked 2 packs of unfiltered cigarettes every day.

7 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Combine these two posts and I believe we've hit the nail on the head.

Absolutely agree.   What I don't get are the number of NFL players allowed to return inside of a week from hits far more violent (and I know that has no bearing) than the glancing blow Rob took; yet trainers are far more careful with college kids.  Is it an indictment that I believe the money involved plays a factor?

10 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Guys, do your research. All of this information is out there as USPS has demonstrated by posting link after link. Concussions are still slightly new science, but evidence demonstrates a strong link between multiple brain injuries and CTE. Individuals with CTE have reported depression and suicidal thoughts and behaviors.

End of the day, sports are just a game and for entertainment purposes only. It’s important not to get this wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Oh, I don't disagree.  My problem with the current testing is that because its still just in its state of infancy:

1.  There are tons of false positives resulting from the tests.

2.  Players will take note of the # of false positives and which makes them less likely to report concussion symptoms.

For instance, in my son's case, he dropped a heavy cooler on his head one day after practice.  Had a really bad headache that night, but chose not to report it.....felt that if he did and didn't have a concussion, it would still have prevented him from playing for quite a while because of the difficulty he had in passing it in the first place.  Everything turned out to be fine and there weren't any signs of concussion after that, but I think it demonstrates an unintended consequence that comes when the safety precautions do err so far on the side of safety.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Oh, I don't disagree.  My problem with the current testing is that because its still just in its state of infancy:

2.  Players will take note of the # of false positives and which makes them less likely to report concussion symptoms.

For instance, in my son's case, he dropped a heavy cooler on his head one day after practice.  Had a really bad headache that night, but chose not to report it.....felt that if he did and didn't have a concussion, it would still have prevented him from playing for quite a while because of the difficulty he had in passing it in the first place.  Everything turned out to be fine and there weren't any signs of concussion after that, but I think it demonstrates an unintended consequence that comes when the safety precautions do err so far on the side of safety.

I was under the impression false positives were about 1/7 of total. Not sure I’d call that a ton when it’s the kids brains we are protecting. 

Better to err on the side of caution. In the long run it's just a game.

I think it's safe to say not everyone reacts the same to a blow to the head. Where on the head the blow occurs probably makes a difference as well. I just saw a video clip on the news of a kid hitting his head on the backboard trying to block a fast break layup. It knocked him back and down to the floor. It looked bad, but he got up and went back in the game a little while after. I can't believe he did not have some kind of injury.

The year Archie took Dayton to the Elite 8 where people note how few players were active and over 6’6”, was that due to injuries?

That was the sweet 16 run the year after and it was because he kicked some kids off the team if I’m remembering correctly

I thought his center passed away?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/dayton-keeps-winning-even-with-a-uniquely-limited-and-short-roster/
Looks like Archie has had an guard miss a whole season because of concussions as well