Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

monskisprodigy

Injury Updates

Collin Gillespie first game back from concussion protocol is tonight. He has been out for a couple weeks. Trey Mourning has missed 2 games for Georgetown and is still in protocol. Chase Johnson for Florida, tony Jackson for UMkC, Malik William from Clemson have all missed time being in concussion protocol this year.
Last year there were a lot of teams that had players miss games as well

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
Thanks at least it just isn't iu

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I believe our football players are regularly getting concussed because it’s the nature of the sport. Based on Rob’s hit, you would think we would have trouble fielding a team. Unless their protocol is different. Rob continued to play before coming out. I’m not making light of his injury, but according to Arch he hasn’t practiced any with the team?
Im talking basketball players at other schools. Not football. Where are they all. Name me even two?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Im talking basketball players at other schools. Not football. Where are they all. Name me even two?

Never mind i saw the post. That being said one more and we wont have a bench. Im guessing rob is out another month the way this thing is going.

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

Never mind i saw the post. That being said one more and we wont have a bench. Im guessing rob is out another month the way this thing is going.

I agree Arch needs to be scouting the Hyper. Green’s importance just went up exponentially, and a reporter mentioned he got the gold jersey this week. Coach is doing his job to get past Devonte’s slow start by saying I got confidence in you. Let’s see how he plays the next 2 games.

I agree Arch needs to be scouting the Hyper. Green’s importance just went up exponentially, and a reporter mentioned he got the gold jersey this week. Coach is doing his job to get past Devonte’s slow start by saying I got confidence in you. Let’s see how he plays the next 2 games.
Green has to play. We are down to basically four guards max. I dont expect rob back in the next two weeks. Green will play heavy minutes.

10 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

No kidding. concussions are serious, but they aren't mystical and unknowable. I can understand that Race had a severe concussion, but something doesn't seem right with this whole process, particularly with Rob. 

My son is a freshman playing tennis at an IU extension.  Everyone had to start the year by taking a baseline test.....don't score the minimum, and you can't play until you pass.  He was allowed to take it twice per day....and it took him three days before he finally passed it.  Several other athletes had to take it multiple times as well.

The concussion protocol really errs on the side of caution.  I know that in my son's case (albeit, he's a little bit different case as he had childhood epilepsy and his brain functions a little differently), if he were to ever actually get a concussion I can't fathom how long it would take him to pass concussion protocol.

8 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

My son is a freshman playing tennis at an IU extension.  Everyone had to start the year by taking a baseline test.....don't score the minimum, and you can't play until you pass.  He was allowed to take it twice per day....and it took him three days before he finally passed it.  Several other athletes had to take it multiple times as well.

The concussion protocol really errs on the side of caution.  I know that in my son's case (albeit, he's a little bit different case as he had childhood epilepsy and his brain functions a little differently), if he were to ever actually get a concussion I can't fathom how long it would take him to pass concussion protocol.

What kinds of things are tested on it? If athletes are struggling to score the minimum when they're healthy that seems like a problem with the test itself to me. 

6 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

They discuss comparison of baseline concussion in this document.  If this test is similar to the one my son took (don't know if it was), then they are comparing it one where the player achieved a certain score.....but might not truly be the player's baseline.  My son's baseline score isn't what he initially took (and again, totally non-concussed) as he didn't score the minimum needed to pass it for a multiple attempts.....the baseline score they use for him is not really his baseline.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What kinds of things are tested on it? If completely healthy athletes are struggling to pass that seems like a problem with the test itself to me. 

A lot were short and long term memory tests.  Part of it had him receiving a list of words quickly and then stating which of those words were on that list when words were flashed on a computer for sixty seconds.  The long term memory tests had him recall that same set of words after about ten minutes.  The funny thing was he pretty much always passed the long term test -- I believe he was allowed to miss one on that and still pass -- but he struggled with the short term test.  One mistake and you failed.  I found the test online and tried it and I did pass, but I had a coworker try it and he failed one of the tests. 

I know this was a new test that the IU extension was using -- they had used a different test previously.  I have no idea if IU Bloomington is using the same test.

Honestly, I think that Phinissee being out is probably good reason to have Langford, Green, and Durham have limited minutes together as we are short at the guard position.  I'm not really that concerned about Green's performance as others are and Durham has certainly stepped his game up from last year.  I'd like to see some of our big men get more court time and go with a more traditional two guard line up with Rob out.

Concussion protocal will likely end football eventually. I dont care my kids play soccer. Right or wrong it is getting to a point some sports wont exist in 20 years. Parents will simply not let their kids play anymore. The die hard nfl fan better enjoy it now cause it wont be around at some point and soon.I would suspect even in soccer headers will be banned in the usa at least. Call me crazy but its coming. Maybe for the best so people can get back to family time verses running all over the usa for tournament's.

It’s really easy to play the blame game. Everyone likes to do it, especially these days.

The concussion research is new science. I believe there is truth behind a lot of it, maybe even most of it.

Consider this. An NFL players goes from the highest of highs (huge money, fame, girls, love of playing their favorite game, in some cases drugs, steroids, etc)

Then they retire, or get kicked out of the league. Real life happens and most aren’t prepared for it. Concussions or not, that will lead to serious depression and suicidal tendencies.

Sometimes not being a kid anymore isn’t much fun.

Now consider the plethora of people that have played physical contact sports their entire lives in an era when concussions weren’t recognized and virtually everyone turned out just fine.

I believe there are definitely short term effects from concussions and even long term effects to a degree.

But science pinning depression on concussion history isn’t necessarily causal imo. Life is way too complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Also I second these baseline tests are often too stringent and not always true baseline readings.

It’s science trying to find a way to quantify something that is hard to quantify. It’s better than nothing but it isn’t perfect.

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Now consider the plethora of people that have played physical contact sports their entire lives in an era when concussions weren’t recognized and virtually everyone turned out just fine.

Did they turn out just fine. Or was it just not recognized?  People were dying on the field in the early days of football. I doubt the people that survived we’re just fine

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Guys, do your research. All of this information is out there as USPS has demonstrated by posting link after link. Concussions are still slightly new science, but evidence demonstrates a strong link between multiple brain injuries and CTE. Individuals with CTE have reported depression and suicidal thoughts and behaviors.

End of the day, sports are just a game and for entertainment purposes only. It’s important not to get this wrong.

33 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Also I second these baseline tests are often too stringent and not always true baseline readings.

It’s science trying to find a way to quantify something that is hard to quantify. It’s better than nothing but it isn’t perfect.

Combine these two posts and I believe we've hit the nail on the head.

Did they turn out just fine. Or was it just not recognized?  People were dying on the field in the early days of football. I doubt the people that survived we’re just fine

My argument was most were just fine. Heck early Football used leather helmets.

NFL football and Boxing\MMA are the two most extreme sports when it comes to concussions. If anybody is going to have lingering symptoms it would be those guys.

The fact that there is a billion dollar lawsuit/settlement resting on symptoms that are mostly subjective is going to alter the data. We have to realize this. I don’t think enough people factor these elements into the bigger picture.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app