Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

monskisprodigy

Injury Updates

Damn. Archie said no Phinisee for Illinois. Said he's getting better but he hasn't practiced and hasn't been cleared for basketball activity. He added he wouldn't be available this week and that they're planning to be without him for the foreseeable future. ... Shoot, I was hoping his injury wasn't that bad and he was held out of the past one-plus games as a precaution. Get well soon, Rob! ... Archie also said McBob should be available tomorrow. 

I’m not at all trying to make light of concussions and our injuries, but this is crazy to me. 

Rob cant get out of concussion protocol a full 2 weeks after the incident, especially when it didn’t look bad? There are NFL players that get nasty looking concussions and play the following week. 

It really just seems weird. I wonder how many other teams have concussion protocol like this?

Honestly, at this point I get the feeling we won't see Rob until after the Michigan game, and may not see Race the rest of the year. Amazing because it seemed that Rob had a very minor collision, did not anticipate him missing this much time. 

Keep in mind, Sidney Crosby missed an entire year in the NHL with a concussion. Race's situation must have been bad. 

Edited by monskisprodigy

I think IU's concussion protocol is overly careful compared to other teams. There is no way NFL players can progress through it in 1-2 weeks and its taking IU players this much longer. I do think with Race its legitimate since he was knocked out cold and those can take months to heal ala Austin Collie with the Colts many years ago. With Rob that hit should be cleared by now. By the way all of this is per a family member who is a doctor and saw the Rob play.

I have no problem with IU being overly careful with concussion protocol compared to other teams since many teams speed through it and it can affect players long term and should not be taken lightly. With that said I wish they would come out and just say that's what they are doing and they take concussions more seriously and this is why concussed players are held out longer. This is clearly what is going on.

7 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Honestly, at this point I get the feeling we won't see Rob until after the Michigan game, and may not see Race the rest of the year. Amazing because it seemed that Rob had a very minor collision, did not anticipate him missing this much time. 

Keep in mind, Mason Crosby missed an entire year in the NHL with a concussion. Race's situation must have been bad. 

I think you mean Sidney Crosby who indeed missed a year. Mason Crosby is a kicker in NFL for the Packers. Don't see to many concussions at that position.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

I think you mean Sydney Crosby who indeed missed a year. Mason Crosby is a kicker in NFL for the Packers. Don't see to many concussions at that position.

You are correct...losing my mind ha-ha. And as someone will point out I am sure, it is actually even spelled Sidney. 

Edited by monskisprodigy

6 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I think IU's concussion protocol is overly careful compared to other teams. There is no way NFL players can progress through it in 1-2 weeks and its taking IU players this much longer. I do think with Race its legitimate since he was knocked out cold and those can take months to heal ala Austin Collie with the Colts many years ago. With Rob that hit should be cleared by now. By the way all of this is per a family member who is a doctor and saw the Rob play.

I have no problem with IU being overly careful with concussion protocol compared to other teams since many teams speed through it and it can affect players long term and should not be taken lightly. With that said I wish they would come out and just say that's what they are doing and they take concussions more seriously and this is why concussed players are held out longer. This is clearly what is going on.

I'm not a medical professional, but it is really hard to fathom the hit that Rob took needing more than 2 weeks to clear protocol.

I agree with you and think that maybe the Kevin Wilson debacle has led to more stringent guidelines when it comes to player safety.