Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

monskisprodigy

Injury Updates

6 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

No it should be totally banned if we really are so concerned for the well being of these guys. However, fans are too selfisf to do that. Alot fans love big crushing hits and live for the nfl.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

No, it shouldn't be banned, but players should know the real risk starting at a young age. No amount of "helmet technology" or "heads up football" is going to stop your brain from bashing against the inside of your skull during a collision.

2 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

To me awhile means several months

Trevor Lawrence (Clemson Qb) was on concussion protocol earlier this year. He was on it for two days and played the following week. It all depends on symptoms. Regardless, rob has a good time to rest with it being break, and wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him play against Illinois

No, it shouldn't be banned, but players should know the real risk starting at a young age. No amount of "helmet technology" or "heads up football" is going to stop your brain from bashing against the inside of your skull during a collision.
If people were truly honestly 110% concerned about damage it would be banned. But as you know money talks and the average die hard nfl fan is not giving up their football. Honestly I would not even care. I got better things to do on a 65 degree october afternoon anyway. You can take all the precautions you want but football is still a violent sport.

23 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

If people were truly honestly 110% concerned about damage it would be banned. But as you know money talks and the average die hard nfl fan is not giving up their football. Honestly I would not even care. I got better things to do on a 65 degree october afternoon anyway. You can take all the precautions you want but football is still a violent sport.

We don’t ban everything with risk. But it is important that people actually understand the risk. 

14 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

People generally are not concerned about the damage done to Player X while watching the game on Sunday. People are concerned about the damage it will do to their kids. You're right, the average NFL fan will not give up their football. I'm one of those fans and I'm far from die hard. The problem for football isn't that it will be banned. The problem is that kids will stop playing it in large numbers. Boxing is a shadow of its former self and football may have the same future.

Football is a violent sport as you said. You know that, I know that. So why are coaches at all levels telling parents "your kid will be safe with me"? That lie doesn't work anymore because people know too much about the effects of playing. 

Football is violent and it wouldn't be the football we love anymore if it was a safe sport. I will enjoy it while it lasts and I will miss it when it goes the way of boxing. 

People generally are not concerned about the damage done to Player X while watching the game on Sunday. People are concerned about the damage it will do to their kids. You're right, the average NFL fan will not give up their football. I'm one of those fans and I'm far from die hard. The problem for football isn't that it will be banned. The problem is that kids will stop playing it in large numbers. Boxing is a shadow of its former self and football may have the same future.
Football is a violent sport as you said. You know that, I know that. So why are coaches at all levels telling parents "your kid will be safe with me"? That lie doesn't work anymore because people know too much about the effects of playing. 
Football is violent and it wouldn't be the football we love anymore if it was a safe sport. I will enjoy it while it lasts and I will miss it when it goes the way of boxing. 
Well somewhat true kids from the inner city and lower income will not quit playing cause a scholorship may be their only way into college. The hardcore nfl fan is simply not going to give it up. Ive met some flat out crazy nfl fans. Just look at how they dress up and paint their bodies. Way worse than other sports it is like a religion to them. There will always be enough players to amuse these people on a sunday. Maybe the talent wont be as good but it will still be an excuse for fans to drink 15 beers tailgating and paint their faces

Given the stadiums are packed and people are shelling out 300 a ticket like its buying a pack of gum I'd say it will be decades before we see any drop off.

Also dude we should ban headers in soccer.

What’s with the use of the word ‘dude’? Is that because I used it once? Are you trying to be funny? I don’t really understand what’s going on right now..

But yeah, getting smashed in the head is never good. Short term effects suck. Long term effects can be really bad. Takes your brain between a week to 12 weeks to recover. You should maybe check into it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The difference between pro and college athletes in handling concussions is a university being responsible for the health and safety of someone's kid. You wanna know the fastest way to get your butt handed to you via lawsuit? Screw up with someone's kid, particularly their health. Doesn't matter that these guys are over 18. They're in school. They're young with their whole lives in front of them, regardless if they're headed the pro route afterward.

And for the "concussions aren't that dangerous" crowd: We're really just now noticing the distant effects of them, only because we have more access to former athletes as they are. Look at guys who've repeatedly taken a lot of contact above the shoulders and see how you feel about their actual age vs how they look, act, and (subjectively) feel. Have a good chunk of them seemed to develop a mismatch there? In my observations...yes. Note I did not use the term "majority" or any of its synonymous brethren. But what I am saying is that as we're more exposed to former contact athletes in their golden years, it's going to be evident they took a lot of shots to the attic.

It's ok to err on the side of caution with young athletes. Actually, it's right.

Tell me this guy doesn't have a concussion in the most severe sense:

IMG_1545354776.704793.thumb.jpg.4606da82acb3020595d5e483f3a01a97.jpg

Yes, this is a more extreme example. But he's 41. And he didn't just take a punch and end up comatose the next minute. He was awake. Walking. He took a lot of hits, not to mention how total many over the course of his career. Multiple concussions? You bet. Again, an extreme example. But who wants to put a player at risk for even a fraction of this outcome?

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I question some of the “science”

There, I said it....

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It's not the science, it's the lawyers.  Imo...

What’s with the use of the word ‘dude’? Is that because I used it once? Are you trying to be funny? I don’t really understand what’s going on right now..

But yeah, getting smashed in the head is never good. Short term effects suck. Long term effects can be really bad. Takes your brain between a week to 12 weeks to recover. You should maybe check into it.

Nope not trying to be funny at all.

Hot button topic. I'll just say I also tend to think it's a little over the top.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

All im saying is people are hyocrites. They talk about how serious this is and how craeful you have to be. Then they turn around and spend 300 bucks to watch guys hit the crap out of each other and cheer it on. Its like I care about it if it affects me but if not who really cares.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Its already happening. Our HS football turnout is less than half what it was 5 years ago. Not enough for a jv team and losing 18 seniors. Middle school coach begged a couple kids to come out after school started to have a team.

That's from what Archie said last night right after the game. My guess is he was just saying that to cover his bases. As far as I know, there's been no new information released. 
In his interview after the game with the announcer he said they kept him out as a precautionary measure and will be day to day. It was on the B1G Show.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No it should be totally banned if we really are so concerned for the well being of these guys. However, fans are too selfisf to do that. Alot fans love big crushing hits and live for the nfl.

Or we could actually teach them to tackle the correct way instead of the hits to make the highlight feel. The janitor where I worked played football for ten years in the late 40s and early 50s from HS to the Army and for Illinois. He would always complain that players today don't know how to properly tackle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk