Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

OliviaPope40

IUBB @ Duke- 11/27 @ 9:30

6 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

when you run a 3 guard line up, and you have no guards to sub because of injury, you're going to struggle.

take a look at the minutes played in those two games. Morgan didn't come of the floor at all vs UCD, and Durham (38 min), Phinesee (36), and Langford (39) barely got a rest. 

UTA wasn't that much different, but at least Durham was subbed for Fitzner (who went 0-3).

Until we get guys back, guys are going to get worn out, and this team is going to struggle. It's not rocket science.

So playing big minutes in the UCD game is why we got humiliated for the first 35 minutes. But the las 5 minutes when they should have been their most exhausted they blew them out like 17-3. 

Doesnt really make sense

11 hours ago, HoosierX said:

Look I really like Archie and think he is the guy for the next 20 years.  However, it drove me nuts when Crean apologists constantly grabbed onto anything they could to try to defend the guy.

Fatigue is a poor excuse for us playing terrible in the first half against UC Davis or Duke.  Plus you have plenty of coaches that have been pretty successful running 7-8 man rotations.

I don't think "fatigue" explains away many of our current issues.

Injury is the main issue right now. Fatigue is just one of the products. We all knew we would rely on RL, but to have RP be thrust into this many minutes is tough. I'm not an Archie apologist at all. I just have lower, and realistic expectations because of the injuries. Most teams that run a small (#s, not height) line up, have at least subs that can pop in and let just about every player get a breather. At guard, running 3, we do not. I expect Morgan to be in shape, and be able to hold his own if forced into big minutes, but you're playing with fire when you have that situation with 4-5 starters. Especially 2 true freshmen. 

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

So playing big minutes in the UCD game is why we got humiliated for the first 35 minutes. But the las 5 minutes when they should have been their most exhausted they blew them out like 17-3. 

Doesnt really make sense

Honestly, we lucked out late in the 2H. UCD used 11 kids, and were fresh and accurate early. Our crowd finally came alive in the second when we got some stops. We had three 3pt shots in a row, or close to being in a row IIRC, which turned the game. The rest were free throws for the most part (which we made thank god). 

In short, we played a team that over achieved big time in the first half. Talent and a bit of luck overcame a team that was playing beyond themselves.

If you can't look at the logged minutes of each player, and understand the impact of 3 games in 6 days, and 4 in 9 days, I'm not sure what to tell you. It's a simple fact of B-Ball., and actually a much simpler fact of playing any sport.

11 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Honestly, we lucked out late in the 2H. UCD used 11 kids, and were fresh and accurate early. Our crowd finally came alive in the second when we got some stops. We had three 3pt shots in a row, or close to being in a row IIRC, which turned the game. The rest were free throws for the most part (which we made thank god). 

In short, we played a team that over achieved big time in the first half. Talent and a bit of luck overcame a team that was playing beyond themselves.

If you can't look at the logged minutes of each player, and understand the impact of 3 games in 6 days, and 4 in 9 days, I'm not sure what to tell you. It's a simple fact of B-Ball., and actually a much simpler fact of playing any sport.

UC Davis played four games in just six days. They played an overtime game in Arlington against TAMCC on the 17th, then had to get right back on the court the very next day for UT Arlington. They had just one day off to travel from Texas back to California for a home game on the 20th, then had to fly to Indiana for a road game on the 23rd.

Sure, our rotation is shorter than theirs due to injuries, but that's a marginal difference of a few minutes per game. At best I'll look at that schedule and let you call it a wash. It certainly doesn't make me think one team being fresh and well rested is the reason why UC Davis was able to hold onto a lead for over 30 minutes of a game in Assembly Hall.

It’s UC-Davis and UT-Arlington. Yes it’s important to treat every game with the same importance but the team’s not gonna come out with the same intensity in those games as they do against the Marquette’s and Duke, they’re just not going to. While it would’ve been much more pleasing to see the Hoosiers come out and win by 30, it didn’t happen but a double digit win still happened. We were undermanned and had a looming matchup vs Duke; the team turned it on at the end and won. I for one, have moved on from those games and have looked at Arkansas, Duke, and Marquette as a sample size to grade this team.

Archie’s got as much talent as anyone in the Big Ten this year and we can all say that we were at least satisfied with his coaching job last season. Relax and let’s take it to Northwestern on Saturday. I have a feeling a lot of us will have a much better attitude towards this team after we blow the doors off the Wildcats in Assembly Hall.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

13 hours ago, Maedhros said:

UC Davis played four games in just six days. They played an overtime game in Arlington against TAMCC on the 17th, then had to get right back on the court the very next day for UT Arlington. They had just one day off to travel from Texas back to California for a home game on the 20th, then had to fly to Indiana for a road game on the 23rd.

Sure, our rotation is shorter than theirs due to injuries, but that's a marginal difference of a few minutes per game. At best I'll look at that schedule and let you call it a wash. It certainly doesn't make me think one team being fresh and well rested is the reason why UC Davis was able to hold onto a lead for over 30 minutes of a game in Assembly Hall.

UCD played 11 guys. Their bench accounted for 27% of minutes vs IU. IU played 8, and our bench 11.5%. 

UCD played at least 10 guys in each of those games. IU played 7-8 in the 3 leading up to Duke.