Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

ALLEN thinking of turning over defensive coordinator duties to someone else.

14 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think I meant it more toward Ramsey... Don't know as much about Penix. Probably deserves the starting nod next season. They need a change. 

I agree.    We have enough data on Ramsey.  He's very, very limited.

19 hours ago, lucel15 said:

From what I read is and what I’ve heard from family down in southern Indiana is that he is taking an official to cincy this weekend. He actually won’t be stepping on IUs campus. I believe Sheridan might be going down to visit for an in home. 

Received an offer from Cincinnati as well! 

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

I agree.    We have enough data on Ramsey.  He's very, very limited.

Dude, enough. No he is not. Did Ramsey personally insult you or something? Your grudge against him is very bizarre. He was fourth in the conference in passing yards, third in the conference in completion percentage, fifth in the conference in passing touchdowns, and seventh in rating. Is that your definition of "very, very limited"? If you think Ramsey is very, very limited then you must think Trace McSorley is straight up garbage, because Ramsey was ahead of him in all four categories. Ramsey is an average Big 10 quarterback, as the numbers reflect, but you make him out to be Zander Diamont bad.

21 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Dude, enough. No he is not. Did Ramsey personally insult you or something? Your grudge against him is very bizarre. He was fourth in the conference in passing yards, third in the conference in completion percentage, fifth in the conference in passing touchdowns, and seventh in rating. Is that your definition of "very, very limited"? If you think Ramsey is very, very limited then you must think Trace McSorley is straight up garbage, because Ramsey was ahead of him in all four categories. Ramsey is an average Big 10 quarterback, as the numbers reflect, but you make him out to be Zander Diamont bad.

And all those stats were accomplished as a sophomore.  There's a lot of potential upside here for Ramsey to a good play caller, manager/coach and overall leader on the football field.  And if Penix manages to surpass Ramsey than I only see that as a win-win for us IU football faithful!

My biggest worry is Penix wanting to transfer elsewhere.

23 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Like I said, your eyes work or they don't.   My question back to you based on yours to me is "are you dating his sister or something?  Best friends since childhood?"    He is extremely inconsistent beyond 10 yards and has a weak arm.  He is average only because he was able to hit check down after check down and his receivers were able to get some YAC which also gets credited to his stats.   You're as biased as you think I am, just the other way.   You and others complained about DeBord's play calling all year; but didn't seem to notice or add 2+2 when it changed for Penix.  There was a reason.

As far as McSorely....come on, man.  What 4 stats are you referring to?   Don't BS people when you can easily look this stuff up.  McSorely averages 2 yards per attempt more than Ramsey does.  McSorely's career rating is 144.  Ramsey's is 128.  McSorely basically averaged 25 TD's a season. Ramsey 14.5, or a little higher if you give him a few for the time he was hurt a year ago.    McSorely throws fewer INT's.  He rushed for twice the yardage Ramsey did.  The ONLY reason Ramsey's completion % is a little higher is the throws he makes and you have to know that, or you're completely blind and not objective.   

Ramsey is not average.  Only one Big Ten QB (well, except the Rutgers dumpster fire)  averaged fewer yards per attempt than he did; and that was Lewerke from MSU who is flat awful.   Ramsey was 3rd from the bottom in INT's...which is incredible for a guy who checked down as much as he did.  His down field throws from a broad brush perspective ended poorly.  Because...he can't make those throws consistently.   Yeah, he made a few.  Absolutely.  But again, you either noticed the difference between he and Penix or you didn't.  For being such a mobile guy, Ramsey was 2nd from the bottom in sacks allowed.   Guy had the 3rd most attempts in the Big Ten and was 3rd from the bottom in yards per attempt.  What does that tell you?  Seriously?

You and others complain about wanting IU to be better in football and you blame coaches, administration, etc.  Yet you defend the player who has proven time and again he's not very good and limits Indiana's opportunity to win.  Yeah, my posts were aimed at you and the other 2 guys who always reply and defend Ramsey while blaming everything else.    We don't have a good QB and that matters.  A lot.  You can blame Allen for that, and I do.  But we also have a much better arm recovering from an ACL injury.  We shall see.  But seriously....be objective and look up stats before you reference them.

39 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Like I said, your eyes work or they don't.   My question back to you based on yours to me is "are you dating his sister or something?  Best friends since childhood?"    He is extremely inconsistent beyond 10 yards and has a weak arm.  He is average only because he was able to hit check down after check down and his receivers were able to get some YAC which also gets credited to his stats.   You're as biased as you think I am, just the other way.   You and others complained about DeBord's play calling all year; but didn't seem to notice or add 2+2 when it changed for Penix.  There was a reason.

As far as McSorely....come on, man.  What 4 stats are you referring to?   Don't BS people when you can easily look this stuff up.  McSorely averages 2 yards per attempt more than Ramsey does.  McSorely's career rating is 144.  Ramsey's is 128.  McSorely basically averaged 25 TD's a season. Ramsey 14.5, or a little higher if you give him a few for the time he was hurt a year ago.    McSorely throws fewer INT's.  He rushed for twice the yardage Ramsey did.  The ONLY reason Ramsey's completion % is a little higher is the throws he makes and you have to know that, or you're completely blind and not objective.   

Ramsey is not average.  Only one Big Ten QB (well, except the Rutgers dumpster fire)  averaged fewer yards per attempt than he did; and that was Lewerke from MSU who is flat awful.   Ramsey was 3rd from the bottom in INT's...which is incredible for a guy who checked down as much as he did.  His down field throws from a broad brush perspective ended poorly.  Because...he can't make those throws consistently.   Yeah, he made a few.  Absolutely.  But again, you either noticed the difference between he and Penix or you didn't.  For being such a mobile guy, Ramsey was 2nd from the bottom in sacks allowed.   Guy had the 3rd most attempts in the Big Ten and was 3rd from the bottom in yards per attempt.  What does that tell you?  Seriously?

You and others complain about wanting IU to be better in football and you blame coaches, administration, etc.  Yet you defend the player who has proven time and again he's not very good and limits Indiana's opportunity to win.  Yeah, my posts were aimed at you and the other 2 guys who always reply and defend Ramsey while blaming everything else.    We don't have a good QB and that matters.  A lot.  You can blame Allen for that, and I do.  But we also have a much better arm recovering from an ACL injury.  We shall see.  But seriously....be objective and look up stats before you reference them.

I'm not BSing anyone. Compare Ramsey's stats this year to McSorley's stats this year. Ramsey had a better year throwing the football. I said nothing about "career averages". You tried making your own argument because you had no ammunition to use against mine.

Completion Percentage: Ramsey - 66%; McSorley - 53.5% 

Passing Yards: Ramsey - 2,875; McSorley - 2,285

Touchdowns: Ramsey - 19; McSorley - 16

Passer Rating: Ramsey - 128.2; McSorley - 124.2

Where did I BS anyone? Heck, we can even look at your favorite category, yards per attempt. Ramsey was at 6.4, McSorley was at 6.9. A whopping half yard difference. And that's a senior McSorley compared to a sophomore Ramsey.

As far as I know I've never said that Ramsey is a "good" quarterback. I've always said that he is an average one. You, on the other hand, have been touting him all season as a Zander Diamont caliber quarterback in order to excuse the piss poor performance from the offensive coordinator. When DeBord opened the playbook up a bit what happened? Ramsey made some throws downfield. He doesn't have a great arm, but there was no reason to handicap him as much as DeBord did for the majority of the season. He made some very good throws downfield when given the opportunity. 

I don't have a dog in this fight but it should be noted that since DeBord has been the OC the deep passing game dramatically dropped.  And here's a good breakdown of the 2017 year Ramsey had when he was splitting time with a guy that had "better arm strength" down field (whatever that means).

http://puntjohnpunt.com/2018/08/30/7584/

The article points out what exactly it means to have "arm strength" regarding the deep ball.  Having touch and accuracy is vital to the deep ball and I think we all can agree that Ramsey has both of that.  Otherwise his short passing game would be awful.  I think what Ramsey lacked last year was velocity.  This year I saw an improvement with all categories regarding the deep ball tangibles.  Especially with velocity in the intermediate passing game.  (Y'all remember that 15 yard zing to Whop that went 65 yards to the house against MSU?)  And I wouldn't be surprised one bit if his intermediate passing game this year improved compared to last year.  A good example was his very first TD pass this year was an 18 yard intermediate pass that was placed perfectly to Donavan Hale (Something he didn't accomplish in the 2017 season).  

Thing that disappointed me this year was how many INTs Ramsey threw. His reputation as a safe game manager didn’t seem to ring true. Will be interesting to see if he developed further this offseason, or if Penix surpasses him completely. Either are good outcomes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

What are the chances we would look at Matt Canada coming to help the offense? Not sure he would be interested, and don't know the "inside" story about Debord.  Just curious on the thoughts there.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:12 AM, iuswingman said:

So any idea who will be the new DC?  promote from within or we going to find someone?

I don’t think it’s a done deal that they will hire one. I think Allen just mentioned that he is open to the idea, that’s all. No news so far on the OC and the DC is killing me