Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

IU vs UC Davis

Who are you addressing? Because I never mentioned  any missed shots. Actually, I was super duper exhaustive about EFFORT NOT PRODUCTION..

You’ve missed the plot entirely. If, for WHATEVER reason, you see fit to call the CHARACTER of the kids into account over a sub-par performance — and maybe even if they just weren’t hustling 100% of the time as much as you in your infinite wisdom thought they should be — then I’d invite you to go have intercourse with yourself and find another school more suited to your own character.

Personally, I have no doubt these kids work their butts off — day in, day out — harder than most of us can understand. And I say that as a guy who used to work 90-hour weeks regularly. If they start showing up in the police reports, or running over each other with cars, or wearing Purdue shirts, then I’ll consider whether there might be character concerns. But over a bad game or two? That’s asinine.

You’ve missed the plot entirely. If, for WHATEVER reason, you see fit to call the CHARACTER of the kids into account over a sub-par performance — and maybe even if they just weren’t hustling 100% of the time as much as you in your infinite wisdom thought they should be — then I’d invite you to go have intercourse with yourself and find another school more suited to your own character.

Personally, I have no doubt these kids work their butts off — day in, day out — harder than most of us can understand. And I say that as a guy who used to work 90-hour weeks regularly. If they start showing up in the police reports, or running over each other with cars, or wearing Purdue shirts, then I’ll consider whether there might be character concerns. But over a bad game or two? That’s asinine.

Inviting someone to have intercourse with himself and wearing Purdue shirts comment puts this post in the funny farm next to the beating up five thugs at the same time post

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I’m with you. The lack defensive effort was the biggest thing to me. I watched the game very closely. We didn’t compete on defense individually or as a team until about 10 minutes left. We were getting beat off the dribble by everyone.

Offensively, it was different. We had zero confidence. We were scared to take open shots (except Juwan) and didn’t finish around the rim with any tenacity.

I think the team is FULL of high “Character” guys but I wonder if we are full of “Effort” guys?

Last year I said I wanted some DOGS that compete in all facets. We don’t have that.

Juwan tries to play that way. Durham tries to play that way but he is so scrawny it really affects him. Rob sorta plays that way. That’s about it.

I want to see guys locking people down D. “Slapping the floor” type of defense. Attacking rebounds with conviction. Everything with more vigor.

Not seeing it for 3 straight games.

Offensively, we are gifted but we are confused/lacking confidence/lacking flow.

I'm excited to see this slowly become Phinisee's team. This year it will always be Morgan's team but I can see Phinisee slowly grow as a leader. I see him being senior year Yogi as a sophomore in terms of leadership.

If we ever get a consistent third player to play at an all conference level we'll be difficult to beat. I'd really like to see Smith play A LOT better. He has too much physical talent not to play better.

I'm excited to see this slowly become Phinisee's team. This year it will always be Morgan's team but I can see Phinisee slowly grow as a leader. I see him being senior year Yogi as a sophomore in terms of leadership.

If we ever get a consistent third player to play at an all conference level we'll be difficult to beat. I'd really like to see Smith play A LOT better. He has too much physical talent not to play better.

Smith is hands down the most frustrating player to watch on this team. He’s no dog as some here would say

Please keep tone in mind. Really testing the limits of civil discourse. Thank you.

Please keep tone in mind. Really testing the limits of civil discourse. Thank you.

Understood, and apologies. I’m just incensed by calling the character of teenagers into question over a mediocre performance in a game. It’s reprehensible and unbecoming of IU fans, IMHO.

After 6 games, KenPom has this team ranked 29th nationally in adjusted defense.

Too often people confuse results with effort and assume that lack of results = lack of effort.  It's not that simple.

And I keep reading that IU's defense wasn't there 'for thirty minutes'.  Truthfully, the results started well before the thirty minute mark....UC Davis had 48 points at the 15:50 mark...they then went over 4 minutes before they scored again and only scored 14 points over the last 15:50, a period in which IU outscored UC Davis 36-14.

Any fan base with expectations Better react like we are when the team isn’t competing, defending, and lacking seemingly all confidence at home against UC Davis.

What would any competitive fan base do?

We are a blue blood school that hasn’t tasted recurring success for 30 years. Patience is getting a little thin and even fanbases that have regular success would respond just like us.

Why do we always beat up our own fan base????

Naw! I used to be that way, but in the end there are far worse things in life than whether it not IU played terrible against a team they should destroy. I've seen it before with other teams in the past. Don't get me wrong, I too can get frustrated during a game. In the end it's just a game

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bielfeldt made a nice point:
The 1976 undefeated Hoosiers beat (among their 32 wins) a 6-20 Ohio State team by two points, 66-64.
This team ain’t the 1976 Hoosiers. Especially with three of our top nine players sidelined.
We won by 14 to move to 5-1.
We played uninspired ball for 30 minutes, and had plenty in the tank at the end.
We’re fine.

Logic is not allowed

11 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Agreed on a 1 game basis but in this young season we have played poorly 3 games in a row and do not seem to be getting better at the most rudimentary parts of the game like free throws, layups and passing. It’s crazy given how much talent we have, injuries or not. Every team has injuries and it seems like several are precautionary

Fair enough - you’re looking for substantial in-season improvement.

Just like last year’s Archie Miller coached Indiana Hoosiers?

Just sayin; if this team improves as much as last year’s team, it’s gonna be a fun March...and a fun early April.

I'm sorry to have upset several with my observations last night. I absolutely was questioning the players heart (other than JM)  and that obviously struck a  nerve. I stand by it and do wonder how many that disagree actually watched the game. While I don't apologize for having high standards for IU basketball, it's time to move on. Go Hoosiers, Beat Dook. 

Naw! I used to be that way, but in the end there are far worse things in life than whether it not IU played terrible against a team they should destroy. I've seen it before with other teams in the past. Don't get me wrong, I too can get frustrated during a game. In the end it's just a game

That’s really not the point though. Clearly life is more important than IUBB. That’s not the discussion. You act like a casual fan. And that is perfectly fine, most fanbases across the country consist of them.

A HUGE part of what makes IUBB special is the passionate fanbase. Yet we cannibalize our own for having high expectations. It’s a very odd dichotomy we have as a fanbase.

I love and defend IUBB but I’m also very critical of their effort and performance. If we, collectively didn’t care we would end up just being another team because honestly based on results that is all we actually are. Another team.

I have perspective and I like to “coach talk” during games on the message board. I enjoy that aspect of evaluating our team. Just like a coach I’m usually over critical. The same way a coach would sound during a bad performance.

Just sayin; if this team improves as much as last year’s team, it’s gonna be a fun March...and a fun early April.

We did lose to Rutgers though in the biggest game of the season.....🤪

Reason for concern is fair.

Thankfully there are plenty of games to get healthy and right the ship.

That’s really not the point though. Clearly life is more important than IUBB. That’s not the discussion. You act like a casual fan. And that is perfectly fine, most fanbases across the country consist of them.

A HUGE part of what makes IUBB special is the passionate fanbase. Yet we cannibalize our own for having high expectations. It’s a very odd dichotomy we have as a fanbase.

I love and defend IUBB but I’m also very critical of their effort and performance. If we, collectively didn’t care we would end up just being another team because honestly based on results that is all we actually are. Another team.

I have perspective and I like to “coach talk” during games on the message board. I enjoy that aspect of evaluating our team. Just like a coach I’m usually over critical. The same way a coach would sound during a bad performance.

The only time I have issues with the fanbase (a few random fans) is when they direct tweet recruits in a negative way. Other than that, message board posters that are frustrated with results doesn’t affect me or the team in the slightest.

I didn’t see the same progress others saw last season. Without pulling up the schedule and stats, I recall us starting sooo poorly that the only place to go was up. We started looking better and won some games but we then faltered down the stretch and flamed out to a terrible Rutgers team to end a very frustrating season.

This season is starting out very frustrating as well but the difference is a few more wins which make it more palatable but the product on the floor is still very rough to put it nicely.

I am just not seeing what our identity is yet. I thought by now I would be seeing the basics of the game mastered, that we would hit our free throws and take care of the ball etc

58 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We would have folded up the tents and lost that game this time last year!

This is what keeps me hopeful we can compete for a Big Ten title. We're in the top 30 in adjO and adjD according to KenPom. If we improve, like I think we can/should, well be a top 25 team competing for a top 4 seed.

I also am looking at individual improvements from our frosh and Justin Smith. He's an important cog with how he could be extremely difficult to defend, if he starts playing to his potential.