Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

IU vs UC Davis

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

I appreciate your instinct to defend the team- but I agree with WatShot. That was a gutless display tonight that had little to do with fatigue, IMO. They lost my respect tonight. 

Wow! Just wow! I totally understand not being thrilled with the way the team performed tonight. But ranting that these young men lacked character and were 'gutless' just might be an indication that maybe you are 'clueless' or 'classless'!

1 minute ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Wow! Just wow! I totally understand not being thrilled with the way the team performed tonight. But ranting that these young men lacked character and were 'gutless' just might be an indication that maybe you are 'clueless' or 'classless'!

Whatever makes you feel better- I saw what I saw. Fatigue at the end of the game?  That I could understand. Throwing lazy passes, not trying on defense and generally getting out-hustled by a bunch of dorks for the first 30 minutes ain't fatigue, it's lack of interest and THAT is a character issue.  

34 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Our '81 championship was busy getting waxed in Hawaii about this time in 1980. We were terrible.

Amazing that team lost 9 games. but 6 were to teams ranked in the top 14, including #2 Kentucky and #8 North Carolina (only to gain revenge in the championship game).

But that team had Isiah Thomas, Ray Tolbert, Landon Turner, Randy Wittman, Ted Kitchel, and Jim Thomas, all 1st or 2nd round NBA draft picks (except Turner, who may have been right there as well).  I do not think the current Hoosiers top six are as talented as those six, and not as big either.  

Oh yea, while looking all this up, those Hawaii losses in December 1980 were to Texas Pan-American by 6 (a wtf game) and to Clemson by 1.  Won the third game over Rutgers.  The other loss that year was to unranked Purdue by 2 at Mackey.  

Hoosiers won the last five regular season games, and the five NCAA games.  In fact, the Hoosiers dominated that tournament with an average win margin of 23 points.  You can probably tell from my profile pic, that 1981 team was perhaps  my favorite.  An unexpected, but dominate champion.  

3 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I don't know you, my man....but this is a pretty big step you're taking with kids YOU don't know.  Indiana played 3 games in 6 days with basically no bench.  Attacking the character of these guys after what you saw against Marquette is a low blow.  If you're going down that path, I hope you're willing to stay with it all year because character isn't something that comes and goes; and this perspective will be as unpopular as it is inaccurate.  

Never claimed to "know" anyone, I'm just reacting to what I saw and it really makes me mad. I can accept IU getting beat by a better team. Having a poor shooting night, bad luck, etc. I don't believe that was the case tonight. You think they were "just tired", I think it was disinterest in competing. I guess we'll just have to disagree. And no, I don't have to stay with anything all year, the onus is on IU, I'm not on scholarship.  But I'm ready and eager to jump back on the band-wagon, but tonight's performance (other than Juwan) was pitiful (objectively) and it had nothing to do with the opponent or fatigue (subjectively.)  

9 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Never claimed to "know" anyone, I'm just reacting to what I saw and it really makes me mad. I can accept IU getting beat by a better team. Having a poor shooting night, bad luck, etc. I don't believe that was the case tonight. You think they were "just tired", I think it was disinterest in competing. I guess we'll just have to disagree. And no, I don't have to stay with anything all year, the onus is on IU, I'm not on scholarship.  But I'm ready and eager to jump back on the band-wagon, but tonight's performance (other than Juwan) was pitiful (objectively) and it had nothing to do with the opponent or fatigue (subjectively.)  

So you can judge character based on what you see?   I don't know anyone else who can do that.  (You have to know someone to know their character)

Yeah..if you're going to attack character, you need to stick with that.  Character is who someone is.  That doesn't change. You can go after effort on a given night; but you also have to be objective; and if you don't believe these kids (three of them freshmen and another kid who hasn't played in a year) aren't fatigued, I wonder why you feel that way.

3 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

So you can judge character based on what you see?   I don't know anyone else who can do that.  

Yeah..if you're going to attack character, you need to stick with that.  Character is who someone is.  That doesn't change. You can go after effort on a given night; but you also have to be objective; and if you don't believe these kids (three of them freshmen and another kid who hasn't played in a year) aren't fatigued, I wonder why you feel that way.

Of course you can judge character based on what you see....what else is there to judge? (Serious question, btw). What you do IS who you are. Of course we all have failings, but that is the measure- what we do. 

How about instead "attacking" their character, let's say I'm challenging it. Prove me wrong, Hoosiers, cuz what I saw tonight wasn't a tenacious bunch of competitors that demand victory. It was a group that was out-hustled by some schlubs and did  just enough to get by because they didn't want to be bothered. It doesn't sit well with me. Apparently a lot of people here saw a different game than I did. Finally,  If they are THAT tired then play Moore, Blackmon and Jager or shut-up about it. Juwan played the entire game but wasn't taking plays off. 

Anyway, enough of that stuff. I wasn't looking to argue. I wanted to vent. I think IU mailed it in tonight and it REALLY chapped my hide. 

Of course you can judge character based on what you see....what else is there to judge? (Serious question, btw).  

If you’re watching some kids play a game, during which they make some bad passes, or miss some shots, or otherwise don’t play their best for one reason or another and decide that that it’s a reason to question their “character,” then you’re an insufferable ******-nozzle that I’m embarrassed to have associated with my alma mater in any way. All it takes is a little effort to listen to any of these kids get interviewed, or just look a little bit into how they act, how they treat other people, their presence in the Bloomington community to understand their character.

Overall, the team didn’t play well tonight. I shouted a few expletives at the screen. There were plenty of boneheaded plays against a team they should have run out of the gym. So be it. Plenty of coaching opportunities.

We have a young, battered team with a still-new coach with only 4 (active) players that he actually recruited to play in his system. The complete lack of patience, the insufferable demands for what we as fans are “entitled” to because we won 5 national championships more than 30 years ago is just disgusting. Barely a week ago we ran a ranked team off the floor, shutting down their high-octane offense, but that’s not good enough for people after some less-than-ideal performances. Ugh.

19 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Of course you can judge character based on what you see....what else is there to judge? (Serious question, btw). What you do IS who you are. Of course we all have failings, but that is the measure- what we do. 

How about instead "attacking" their character, let's say I'm challenging it. Prove me wrong, Hoosiers, cuz what I saw tonight wasn't a tenacious bunch of competitors that demand victory. It was a group that was out-hustled by some schlubs and did  just enough to get by because they didn't want to be bothered. It doesn't sit well with me. Apparently a lot of people here saw a different game than I did. Finally,  If they are THAT tired then play Moore, Blackmon and Jager or shut-up about it. Juwan played the entire game but wasn't taking plays off. 

Anyway, enough of that stuff. I wasn't looking to argue. I wanted to vent. I think IU mailed it in tonight and it REALLY chapped my hide. 

I think you need to swap “mental toughness” for “character.”  I see those as being two different things.

So much overreaction going on right now. Nobody will know how good this team is until McRoberts, Green, and Thompson are back and able to contribute for a stretch of several games with rotations that the coaching staff planned on using before all these injuries. Also not having the teams most consistent wing defender in McRoberts is the biggest problem on defense at the moment because that has affected the defense as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

They got the job done in the end but looked disinterested for the majority of the game. I was hoping to see crisp passes, a team valuing the ball, effort to stop straight line drives and open threes, and concentration at the line. We struggled at many of these for the majority of the game.

On to the next one, I hope to see us COMPETE at Cameron Indoor. I hope we win but I'm more interested to see if we've progressed in these areas.

9 minutes ago, JimBobJimmyBob said:

If you’re watching some kids play a game, during which they make some bad passes, or miss some shots, or otherwise don’t play their best for one reason or another and decide that that it’s a reason to question their “character,” then you’re an insufferable ******-nozzle that I’m embarrassed to have associated with my alma mater in any way. All it takes is a little effort to listen to any of these kids get interviewed, or just look a little bit into how they act, how they treat other people, their presence in the Bloomington community to understand their character.

Overall, the team didn’t play well tonight. I shouted a few expletives at the screen. There were plenty of boneheaded plays against a team they should have run out of the gym. So be it. Plenty of coaching opportunities.

We have a young, battered team with a still-new coach with only 4 (active) players that he actually recruited to play in his system. The complete lack of patience, the insufferable demands for what we as fans are “entitled” to because we won 5 national championships more than 30 years ago is just disgusting. Barely a week ago we ran a ranked team off the floor, shutting down their high-octane offense, but that’s not good enough for people after some less-than-ideal performances. Ugh.

Who are you addressing? Because I never mentioned  any missed shots. Actually, I was super duper exhaustive about EFFORT NOT PRODUCTION. But for the record, I don't care that IU missed some shots or made a bad pass. I care that they didn't seem to care about any of it. Did you watch the game or read what I posted. Are you sure? Go ahead and check what I wrote again, and I'll wait..... If you don't get the difference then I don't know what to tell you, other then you are absolutely right to be embarrassed, but it's about the wrong thing.  

Who are you addressing? Because I never mentioned  any missed shots. Actually, I was super duper exhaustive about EFFORT NOT PRODUCTION. But for the record, I don't care that IU missed some shots or made a bad pass. I care that they didn't seem to care about any of it. Did you watch the game or read what I posted. Are you sure? Go ahead and check what I wrote again, and I'll wait..... If you don't get the difference then I don't know what to tell you, other then you are absolutely right to be embarrassed, but it's about the wrong thing.  

I’m with you. The lack defensive effort was the biggest thing to me. I watched the game very closely. We didn’t compete on defense individually or as a team until about 10 minutes left. We were getting beat off the dribble by everyone.

Offensively, it was different. We had zero confidence. We were scared to take open shots (except Juwan) and didn’t finish around the rim with any tenacity.

I think the team is FULL of high “Character” guys but I wonder if we are full of “Effort” guys?

Last year I said I wanted some DOGS that compete in all facets. We don’t have that.

Juwan tries to play that way. Durham tries to play that way but he is so scrawny it really affects him. Rob sorta plays that way. That’s about it.

I want to see guys locking people down D. “Slapping the floor” type of defense. Attacking rebounds with conviction. Everything with more vigor.

Not seeing it for 3 straight games.

Offensively, we are gifted but we are confused/lacking confidence/lacking flow.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Not impressed by the game, but glad that our starters have the opportunity to spend a lot of game time together since we’re short handed. These experiences will pay dividends later.

I think Miller has some growing to do as a coach just as this team has growing to do. The good news is that both are fully capable and have demonstrated they’re strengths and potential. It’s going to be a fun year, even if every game isn’t a master piece.

The biggest pro from this game: Juwan Morgan put on an NPOY performance. Let’s hope to see more of this.