Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Arkansas - 11/18 @ 3:30 ET

Not going to say that refs were a factor.....but am going to say that in the last 8 minutes of the game, Arkansas was whistled for no fouls.  IU had 5.

Like Dook last season...? At home!!

Also, to add to the hands coming down by the Arkansas player one the last drive another Arkansas player had his hand in the net while the ball was still in the cylinder. That's college basketball on the road. We had to be 10 points better and we weren't. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Like Dook last season...? At home!!

Also, to add to the hands coming down by the Arkansas player one the last drive another Arkansas player had his hand in the net while the ball was still in the cylinder. That's college basketball on the road. We had to be 10 points better and we weren't. Lesson learned.

It's a losing proposition to have to be 10 points better on the road in order to win road games.  I'm just tired of the state of college officiating.....and I get that we get the same home cooking at Assembly Hall.  Just tired of venue determining outcome.

It's a losing proposition to have to be 10 points better on the road in order to win road games.  I'm just tired of the state of college officiating.....and I get that we get the same home cooking at Assembly Hall.  Just tired of venue determining outcome.

Similar to how VMI only shot 5 foul shots on 12 called fouls against UK while the Cats shot 35 foul shots on 26 called fouls against VMI. Can’t stand when the home team gets the calls

I get extremely frustrated with it too. However, if we want to be a great team we need to learn to play harder and ignore that as best we can. This team has a lot of potential and need to gain as much experience as possible. Today was a good step but would have been much better with an W.

5 hours ago, cappymo14 said:

I like showing confidence in kids. I do. If it’s me though, I’m taking that time out. I’m making sure my freshman point guard knows to wait. I’m taking the opportunity to decide who gets the ball and how. Who’s the best option? Could it be a different freshman? It’s not a bad loss and they were a single tip away from taking the lead, so an argument could be made both ways, for me though, it’s the t. I haven’t seen the coaches presser yet but, I bet it gets asked and I bet he says he should have.

I don't think he wanted to wait.   I think he wanted to attack when he had the opportunity and he got a good look.  Davis makes that put back, we're having a different conversation about a freshman point guard being confident and aggressive; and I don't think he made a freshman mistake at all.  

This is a great example of how the talent didn’t work hard enough. We were outplayed, in the end. But even when we were down by 12 I felt confident that Romeo and Juwan would pull us out. They did and we just couldn’t pull it off.

I do gotta say though, McBob healthy that game and we win it every time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don't think he wanted to wait.   I think he wanted to attack when he had the opportunity and he got a good look.  Davis makes that put back, we're having a different conversation about a freshman point guard being confident and aggressive; and I don't think he made a freshman mistake at all.  

Re-watched last night. He did what his coach told him to do. He looked right at the bench, Arch waived him forward and said go, so he did. He didn’t just feel like making the aggressive play there, he was told to, so he did. In the end, could have had the easy putback, or could have ended with complete disaster, driving into one of the best shot blockers I’ve seen in some time. Either way, Arch clearly never considered a TO so , I guess I’m fine with that.

After watching the end of game situation a second time, I have a question. How does that over the back go un called? I mean it wasn’t just over the back, he launched himself into a crowd and absolutely flattened our guy who had position. Could have injured someone.

It wasn't just the freshmen who played like freshmen at times. Durham had five turnovers, Smith missed critical free throws and a dunk, and Fitzner failed to even score. IU will only have a chance to beat the top teams if everyone plays well. At this point, IU does not look like a team that beat Michigan or Michigan State. But Romero and Rob and Damezi will improve their games as the year goes and the team will be much improved when the injured players return.

35 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

After watching the end of game situation a second time, I have a question. How does that over the back go un called? I mean it wasn’t just over the back, he launched himself into a crowd and absolutely flattened our guy who had position. Could have injured someone.

Agree, I couldn’t figure out how that wasn’t over the back either. The ref was standing right there. The other call that I thought was awful was the travel they called on Davis with a minute or two left. Gafford completely flopped, and then Davis didn’t travel he was tripped by Gafford who had flopped onto the ground. 

31 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

A very good question and a play that illustrates difference in how the whistles were being blown against the two teams.  Their big guy was absolutely dominant, but at least twice our guys were in danger of getting a concussion after he blocked their shots - in fact I wonder if that contributed to Smith's shaky play (he got blocked early in the game including getting smashed in the head).  All that said, I wish we had that guy on our team.

Count me in the camp that has no problem with our last possession.  Rob probably makes that layup most of the time.  There was a play earlier in the second half that showed how advanced he is as a freshman point guard playing the third game of his career: he drove into the lane and passed up the shot, a play we ultimately scored on.  On that play most of our guys would have been called for a charge or had their shot blocked.  He certainly had some bad plays but I have no doubt he'll learn from it and those errors. While the freshmen got rattled at times, I'm more disappointed that our sophs were just as bad.

2 hours ago, el drado said:

Those weak passes by our freshmen stood out the most, and cost us the most.  We didn't look bad outside of those.

If we eliminated the moronic TO's and made the bunnies, we would have been ahead most of the night, instead we were playing catch up.

Anderson's was awful.  Completely agree.  A lob with no chance.

Imperative we get Green and McRoberts back soon. At least one by Duke. Can't be having the guards we had out there playing 25+ minutes. Looking at Anderson primarily but Durham as well. Not in the role they had to occupy with such heavy ball-handling at Arky.