Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

Romeo Langford Is Legit, And So Is Indiana

The whole team looked like the Varsity Blues team after a night of drinking at the club.

They made so many lazy passes that got picked off.  You would think after 1 or 2 were stolen that they might realize they can't do that against teams that are pressing that aggressively.

I've never been overly hyped on Al, but I'm cutting him some slack for yesterday's 5 TO's.  He played 36 of the 40 minutes against an aggressive defense as we had no choice with Rob in 1st half foul trouble and Devonte out with an injury.   He also did give us 11 points and 3 reb. which is 8 pts. and 3 reb. more than we got out of Justin Smith who is rapidly becoming an enigma in my mind.  And if TO's are a big deal to some of you then some stones need to be thrown at Romeo who had 4 TO's and Morgan with 2 despite playing only 23 min.
We had a chance at the end and the ball simply didn't fall our way but there was no single player responsible.  It truly was a team loss:  Juwan & Rob's first half foul trouble, Smith a no-show; Fitzner not big enough to guard Gafford and too slow to guard the wings, injuries, etc.   But despite how badly it seemed we played at times, we out-shot AR 46% to 43%; 40% to 26% on 3's; 67% to 58% FT.  We out-rebounded them 40-32 and 9-8 on the offensive glass.  A loss is a loss, I get that, but this game is not going to define our season.  We are still a force to be reckoned with in the B1G.

Great post.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The whole team looked like the Varsity Blues team after a night of drinking at the club.
They made so many lazy passes that got picked off.  You would think after 1 or 2 were stolen that they might realize they can't do that against teams that are pressing that aggressively.

Im just frusturated cause arkansas is not good. Picked to finish near the bottom of the conference. Bad loss imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, Mike Anderson has finished higher than projected every single year at Arkansas. Didn't really know where to project Arkansas with 9 new players. Usually pretty tough to beat at home too even when they aren't that good...beat a ranked Michigan team at home in 2012 and finished 18-14. Wolverines were a 4-seed that year.
True it's also frustrating seeing Michigan go spank Villanova on the road. Michigan had a decent recruiting class but nothing about their roster makes you say wow. He honestly may be the best coach in America. I don't know how else to explain it.

1 hour ago, hogfan14 said:

For what it's worth, Mike Anderson has finished higher than projected every single year at Arkansas. Didn't really know where to project Arkansas with 9 new players. Usually pretty tough to beat at home too even when they aren't that good...beat a ranked Michigan team at home in 2012 and finished 18-14. Wolverines were a 4-seed that year.

And y'all will probably kill us next year in Bloomington with no Gafford lol

I have in-laws in Arkansas so wanted to win this one bad. You have a tough, hard nosed team that should get better as the season goes on. And, Gafford, my goodness, he just killed us. Hopefully, we will grow and learn from this one and be better for it down the road. Good luck the rest of the season, especially against Kentucky, and we'll see you again next year.

And y'all will probably kill us next year in Bloomington with no Gafford lol

Thanks for your perspective. Always nice to hear from an outsider. Pretty sure all of us will be cheering for the Hogs to do well the rest of the season. Especially against the wildcats.

The new Georgia coach doesn’t value the ball too much. That full court pressure should create lots of turnovers.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

There’s no doubt Beilein is a really good coach. But IMO what you’re seeing at Michigan is what happens when you know you have a good coach and as a program you have patience. The same is happening at Villanova. 
Both coaches have had ups and downs at their schools, Michigan I believe had a year where they won the Big Ten and lost in the first round. Wright has had years where he missed the tournament all together. But, both schools knew they had good coaches, didn’t overreact and had patience. 
This isn’t directed at you, just using your post as a jumping point, but I’ve seen some fans on various boards freaking out over the Arkansas loss, saying fans will be attacking Archie if we don’t make a deep tourney run. I think that’s crazy, IU has a really good, young coach, and while it’s hard given the last 30 years, I think if everyone has some patience we’ll be really happy. 

If we started out the season, pre season ranked #10 for example, this loss wouldn’t bounce us. Right now a lot of it is about perception of Indiana basketball. At some point Indiana has to create its own perception because Michigan, Michigan Stsate, and Purdue (recently) have benefitted from perception. Starting of the season ranked, especially high, certainly has benefits imo as far as public perception both with fans and media/basketball people.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

20 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

Im just frusturated cause arkansas is not good. Picked to finish near the bottom of the conference. Bad loss imo.

So based on pre-season rankings that mean nothing, this was a bad loss?

I'm more of a "watch the game and form my own decision" type of guy so I'd say that Arkansas was better than expected, and that freshman Gafford is a beast.. True road game against one of the harder teams to beat in their gym in the country, and a one point loss? Don't see this hurting IU in the grand scheme of things.

So based on pre-season rankings that mean nothing, this was a bad loss?
I'm more of a "watch the game and form my own decision" type of guy so I'd say that Arkansas was better than expected, and that freshman Gafford is a beast.. True road game against one of the harder teams to beat in their gym in the country, and a one point loss? Don't see this hurting IU in the grand scheme of things.

It also doesn't hurt that several "talking heads" have been calling it controversial. Being down several contributors, playing terrible, and only losing by a point isn't bad. If we finish out the noncon at 9-2 and have an upper half finish in the Big Ten we'll be dancing. I like the chances of Phinisee and Romeo going into the dance with plenty of chances for learning experiences throughout a difficult regular season. We'll be ready.

That loss still irritates me. But IU really didn’t play well at all. And they lost by one point. On the road. That tells me right there this team will be ready. Just have to bounce back tonight
It irritated me because we should have won. With a likely blowout loss at duke Louisville and butler are must wins imo to put in the quality win category

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

It also doesn't hurt that several "talking heads" have been calling it controversial. Being down several contributors, playing terrible, and only losing by a point isn't bad. If we finish out the noncon at 9-2 and have an upper half finish in the Big Ten we'll be dancing. I like the chances of Phinisee and Romeo going into the dance with plenty of chances for learning experiences throughout a difficult regular season. We'll be ready.

What do you mean, "talking heads are calling it controversial"? What's being said? Please and thank you.