Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS - 2018 College Cup

@IndianaMSOC: PREVIEW ➡️ No. 1-ranked Hoosiers Face No. 15 Maryland in the College Cup National Semifinals on Friday Night. The match is scheduled for a 10:30 p.m. ET start and will be televised live nationally on ESPNU.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/12/6/mens-soccer-no-1-hoosiers-face-no-15-maryland-in-college-cup-semifinals.aspx

SCOUTING THE TERRAPINS
• The Maryland Terrapins enter Friday's match with the Hoosiers with an overall record of 11-6-4 on the season.
• After a 2-2-2 start to the season, Maryland turned it around, finishing the year with a 9-4-2 mark to earn an at-large berth to the NCAA Tournament and the No. 11 seed.
• Maryland beat NC State at home, 2-0, before beating two ranked teams on the road the last two rounds - 2-0 at No. 10 Duke and 1-0 at No. 3 Kentucky - to earn the program's 14th College Cup.
• Amar Sejdic leads the team with seven goals on the season, while Chase Gasper has a team-best five assists.
• Maryland is ranked 17th in the NCAA in goals-against average (0.715) and 116th in scoring offense (1.29).
• On the year, the Terrapins have out-scored their opponents, 27-16.

SERIES HISTORY
• In the overall series between the Hoosiers and the Terrapins, Indiana leads 4-2-7.
• Friday's match will be the third meeting between Indiana and Maryland this season.
• During the regular season on Oct. 12 in Bloomington, IU beat Maryland, 2-1, thanks to a brace from Andrew Gutman, which included the match-winner with just 18 second left.
• In the Big Ten Tournament semifinals, the Hoosiers advanced past the Terrapins, in penalty kicks, 4-3, after playing to a 1-1 draw.
• Indiana is 1-0-5 in the last six matches against Maryland.
• IU has played Maryland once in the NCAA Tournament prior to Friday, beating the Terrapins, 3-2, in the 2004 College Cup semifinals in double overtime.
• John Michael Hayden scored the match-winner with just 48 seconds left in double overtime.

I mentioned how last year teams had elite no.'s. compared to this year.

Here is the numbers from last year: UNC was 2nd in offense and 26th in Defense. Akron was 5th in defense and 6th in offense. Stanford was 2nd in defense and 9th in offense and IU was 1st in defense and 12th in offense.

This year we are a similar 2nd in defense and 14th in offense. However, the teams in it with us do not have the gaudy numbers. Akron's offense is fairly gaudy at 15th but their D leaks badly and is just 72nd. Maryland on the other hand has a really strong D at Maryland 17th but their offense is anemic at 116th. MSU is more balanced but not great at anything with 20th ranked D and 50th ranked O.

In other words soccer is a crap shoot and anything can happen but we certainly have a huge advantage numbers wise we did not last year. 

Stumbled across this article and the radical recruiting philosophy differences between Michigan State and Akron.  

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2018/12/06/michigan-state-soccer-michigan-players-state-college-cup-couch-column/2194209002/

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Do those numbers factor in SOS and quality of opponent? If not Indiana’s number would look even better.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No but all 4 teams have played very tough schedules so its fairly apples to apples in comparison. 

If we can win tonight I'll gladly take Akron and be very confident. Akron to me looks a lot like a slightly better Air Force with an elite offense and a very leaky D that's not hard to get around (and there numbers reflect this). I trust our defense to shut any elite offense down much like Air Force (or UNC last year). Like I said last year I'd much rather have the elite offense with the leaky D and this time were gonna get that chance if we win tonight. 

Also from TV this is a much better facility for college cup than last year since its a college stadium. It's also warmer and looks like a college soccer match instead of a pro game. 

15 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Also from TV this is a much better facility for college cup than last year since its a college stadium. It's also warmer and looks like a college soccer match instead of a pro game. 

Anything beats that minor league baseball park we won the '12 title at.