Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS - 2018 College Cup

Love that type of soccer. Wide open with lots of chances and we turned everything away in second half and never allowed anything to dangerous outside the corner that went off the post and was cleared off line. This Air Force team is incredibly dominant and fast in the mid but unlike Denver we had the horses to mostly stop that and more than enough offense to be dangerous going forward. Falcon’s though are probably best team I have seen IU play in person outside of Notre Dame.

Speaking of ND the days of us having an advantage over our opponents are over and either ND or UVA will match us pound for pound and match could go either way with someone probably winning 1-0 late. Same in College Cup with UK or Maryland if we win. My preference is probably UVA next week just so we have a slightly better fan advantage but otherwise both are equally tough.

1 minute ago, ccgeneral said:

Down goes Wake Forest! Akron wins 1-nil.

Notre Dame/Virginia heading to OT.

Stanford beat St Mary’s also. Hope for a fourpeat are still alive for the cardinals. 

Us and UK are the only top 5 seeds left. Duke at 6 is gone as well. 

Mall the teams left are clearly quite good but obviously glad Wake is out. 

Hopefully the Terps take the Wildcats out

Quarterfinals all set for next weekend. 
#2 Indiana vs #7 Notre Dame
#3 Kentucky vs #11 Maryland
#9 Stanford vs Akron 
Michigan State vs James Madison

Just our luck. Toughest elite 8 matchup. We are good enough to get the win though. Honestly would like to beat Kentucky in rematch.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Man, how does Stanford always seem to get a free roll into the final four? Akron, James Madison and Michigan St. between them and the championship for the fourth year in a row? I think IU will outplay Notre Dame with homefield pushing them through. That is, as long as the conditions hold up. I’ve seen pictures of family in Chicago that have a foot of snow on the ground; I don’t know how Btown has fared so far. Conditions can cause the better team not to be able to show it, and lose on a junk goal. Assuming we get by ND Friday I think playing in better weather out in Santa Barbara will allow our guys to show their form against Kentucky/Maryland. I actually hope we get Kentucky because of the revenge factor. If we can run that gauntlet I think IU’s class will be too much for all four of the teams left on the other side of the bracket and we will bring home number nine. 

Notre Dame it is. Since I was at the IU Notre Dame game earlier in the year I am familiar with both teams. Notre Dame is very dangerous and the best team we have played since UK. They have speedy forwards and a really good D but are weaker in the mid they we are. Their scoring is spread out amongst several guys. Despite the fact he does not have the most goals their freshman Jack Lynn was really impressive when I saw him the first time and had the game winning goal last round. Ueland and Berneski have their most goals and looked dangerous going forward last time as well. They have been somewhat offensively challenged lately but they have all the tools and are more than capable of scoring so I would not rest on that.

Last time we played a very even first half than got pretty well dominated first 25 min. of second half and ND got a goal that should of been the game winner. However, we managed to equalize a few minutes later when a Notre Dame defender slipped in the box that allowed an open cross to Palazzolo who headed it in for the tie. It was then equal again the last 20 or so minutes and we went to OT. A couple minutes into OT we won on a Swartz corner to Kleyn who kicked it on to Rennicks in front of the goal who slipped it home for the winner. Their was controversy as to whether Rennicks was offsides as if Kleyn touches the ball first it should not have counted but if ND defender touched it then its allowed. They actually waved off the goal and the linesman called offsides only to be overruled by the head referee.

Overall, there have only been 4 games this year where it was not clear we were the better team and talent was equal on both sides. That was Wake, UNC, ND and UK. Obviously we may be playing 2 of those again in the next 2 games with ND and UK. The reality is though if you want to lift a National Championship trophy you have to beat the best and now is our chance to do that. 

We got by the first 2 easily in last years tourney as well against lesser competition than had thrilling wins against an equal MSU and UNC team only to lose to Stanford. Now again we got by the first 2 tourney games against lesser competition easily and will this time need to finish off against 3 elite teams (not just 2 if we want all the marbles). Except for James Madison anyone we play is going to be able to match us pound for pound pretty much. ND, UK, Stanford and Akron are completely equal to us while MSU and Maryland are very very close to us.

I expect every game going forward to be probably be 1-0 with a late winner in all of them. Its a tough road but I think we can do it. Soccer requires a lot of luck and so far this year luck has finally gone our way in the close games and hopefully that happens 3 more times. 

Fortunately, starting this weekend we get ND at home this time (I expect some ND fans but they have not drawn well at all this year so we will see how split the crowd really is) and are playing our best soccer now so I like our chances but games going forward could go either way and lets hope for the best.

Per NCAA bracket game will be at 7pm Friday which means back to BTN+ online (free broadcast per NCAA rules) most likely as BTN has basketball games. Also before anyone asks BTN overflow channels can only be used for Football.

Weather has been back and forth and as of now forecast calls for about 45 with a chance of rain but its fluid right now so we have to hope for best. I will definitely be there rain or no rain (only snow or ice will keep me away but that looks unlikely) but hopefully its dry so you get the big sold out crowd you got last year in Elite 8.

Oh wow I had forgotten that. Good call

I remembered that year well. Was hanging Christmas lights on a cold Sunday afternoon when we beat them. I think I found the game on a radio broadcast then and followed. A week or so later while driving through the WV mountains we were following the championship game as best we could. Terrible cell and radio reception but we kept refreshing phones for updates as we drove.

We were headed to VA for a stressful surgery for my son and following those games helped distract from stress.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Definitely going to be more talent on the other side of the ball than we’ve seen through two rounds, not arguing that. But, Notre Dame might be getting some respect based on reputation. This isn’t the strongest of the ND squads they have fielded in recent years. They have not been good on the road, with only three road wins being against a 7-10 Pitt team one-nil, a bad Syracuse team and Michigan on a late winner. They got pounded 5-2 by Virginia Tech three weeks ago, and have gone to OT with the score tied 0-0 in both of their tournament games so far. They aren’t going to be able to park the bus and hope to beat us on a golden goal in OT or penalties. We have too much attacking talent, and our outside backs pushing high is going to have them on their heels defending cross after cross. Don’t get me wrong, they’re a good group; but barring tragic weather conditions this is a game we should win. I can see this game being a 3-1 score line if we get an early goal, because they’re going to have to break form and get away from the defend and counter strategy. That will open things up for us and we will punish them. 

Keep the weather reports coming. It’s 65 degrees in South Carolina, so hoping conditions stay reasonable for some good soccer and the pitch holds up. 

14 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Definitely going to be more talent on the other side of the ball than we’ve seen through two rounds, not arguing that. But, Notre Dame might be getting some respect based on reputation. This isn’t the strongest of the ND squads they have fielded in recent years. They have not been good on the road, with only three road wins being against a 7-10 Pitt team one-nil, a bad Syracuse team and Michigan on a late winner. They got pounded 5-2 by Virginia Tech three weeks ago, and have gone to OT with the score tied 0-0 in both of their tournament games so far. They aren’t going to be able to park the bus and hope to beat us on a golden goal in OT or penalties. We have too much attacking talent, and our outside backs pushing high is going to have them on their heels defending cross after cross. Don’t get me wrong, they’re a good group; but barring tragic weather conditions this is a game we should win. I can see this game being a 3-1 score line if we get an early goal, because they’re going to have to break form and get away from the defend and counter strategy. That will open things up for us and we will punish them. 

Keep the weather reports coming. It’s 65 degrees in South Carolina, so hoping conditions stay reasonable for some good soccer and the pitch holds up. 

Trust me I've seen ND this year and their respect has nothing to do with reputation. They are an elite talented team like us with excellent defense and fast forwards and their 7 seed is exactly right (7th best team in country). A team this elite has no need to park the bus and will play great D with 4-5 guys like we do and come forward to try and score as well with normal numbers. Parking the bus is done by lesser talented teams with extra defenders to try to stop an elite attack. Top teams never do that and just play D very well with normal numbers without a problem.

With all that said we are playing our best soccer and I expect a 1-0 win similar to last year at home against ND where some sort of set play or set piece nets us a goal mid second half and we hold on from there.  

With the game tomorrow night here are a few nuggets:

1. Weather is back and forth. Some sources say it will be nice and others say it will rain a little. What is agreed upon is the temps will be fairly warm again with mid 40's to near 50 so that's not to bad. Hopefully we can get a sellout like last year in this round and weather is good.

2. There seems to be a lot of confusion on the stream tomorrow night and cost. Per NCAA rules all NCAA tourney matches are streamed for FREE in all sports (I have confirmed this by calling BTN Plus) so you do not need a subscription of any kind tomorrow night and can watch anywhere in country by just clicking on the broadcast on BTN2go website.

3. IU students get free tickets again (know this won't affect most if any on here) while its $10 for adults and $5 for children

4. You can by the tickets from now until game time online to avoid lines with no extra fees (I have already done this and downloaded ticket into my Apple Wallet on my phone which is really convenient)    

@TopDrawerSoccer: The men's Division I tournament is one step away from the College Cup. We preview all four quarterfinal matchups ahead of a big two days of action. https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/mens-division-i-quarterfinal-preview_aid45559

Indiana 2-0 Notre Dame

Maryland 2-1 Kentucky

Stanford 1-0 Akron

Michigan State 1-0 James Madison

24 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

@TopDrawerSoccer: The men's Division I tournament is one step away from the College Cup. We preview all four quarterfinal matchups ahead of a big two days of action. https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/mens-division-i-quarterfinal-preview_aid45559

Indiana 2-0 Notre Dame

Maryland 2-1 Kentucky

Stanford 1-0 Akron

Michigan State 1-0 James Madison

Other than Akron losing this is the bracket I am hoping for