Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS - 2018 College Cup

Cant provide much of a recap since I didn't see a good part of the game or any of the goals. With that said like Old Dominion in this round last year any team that lives and dies with offense and a leaky defense is going to dig a grave against us. Watching UConn Rhode Island Thursday I knew neither team had much of a chance against us and we put them away early. 

For next weekend both teams are pretty similar with very high powered offenses and decent defenses at a lower level of competition. The one difference is Denver posses the leading scorer in the country and has beaten all the bad teams but struggled against the 3 top level teams like us they have played (Virginia, Maryland and Stanford). Air Force has not played anyone on the top level and has 3 bad losses but even more impressive numbers. That game between the two could go either way and I like our chances equally against either one but it will be closer since both teams posses better D's and more dominant O's. I like us 2-1 in a game similar to New Hampshire last year in Sweet 16.

37 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

Air Force beat Denver 2-1.

Not an upset despite the seeding. Both teams are evenly matched and pretty good. Watched entire second half so have a better feel for these teams now. First off both are miles ahead of UConn as a team. However, miles ahead and at our level have quite a gap. These teams are certainly much closer but we are still better overall. Also we get to put Rennicks back up top at forward which will be huge.

I mentioned maybe these teams are like New Hampshire and I was very wrong. New Hampshire plays entirely defensive while these teams rely on counter attacks and speed in the mid. Air Force especially who we are playing is lightning quick getting it through the mid and we have to watch that. The other thing is unlike Denver where you are trying to shut down 1 guy with 25+ goals Air Force has 2 guys who require attention with double digit goals (13 and 11) and a 3rd guy with 7 so this may be more challenging. Also the WAC is much stronger than the Summit where Denver plays. Overall while UConn looked like a team that would get blown out by us (which they did) Air Force looks like a team that can hang with us but is still inferior (think Michigan or Wisconsin). I stand by my 2-1 prediction but unlike last year vs. New Hampshire where we only had 7 shots this should be a fairly fun wide open game where we probably out shoot them 15-10 or something.

Air Force has played one top flight team in Va Tech and lost and has several bad losses as well but from what I saw they will be ready for us and have what it takes to hang in there without extra effort. Game is at 1pm Sunday and I will almost certainly be there after basically missing game today.

Game again moved to 12pm and will be on BTN Sunday!

Unlike last week this makes no difference to me and glad we got National TV again and actually gives me more space to be home in time to watch Colts game at 430pm after attending game and weather looks better earlier in day. 

@TopDrawerSoccer: See our preview and predictions for each third round match. https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/mens-di-tournament-third-round-preview_aid45493

#3 Kentucky 2-0 Lipscomb

#11 Maryland 2-0 #6 Duke

#13 Georgetown 2-1 Michigan State

#2 Indiana 3-2 Air Force

#9 Stanford 0-0 #8 St. Mary’s (Cardinal win on PKs)

#12 Virginia Tech 2-1 James Madison

#1 Wake Forest 3-2 Akron

#7 Notre Dame 1-0 #10 Virginia

Some big games going down tonight at 4 and 5. Got 4 top 10 teams 2 of whom will be going home. 

Plus you got Wake playing Akron. 

Is it too much to ask that wouldn’t mind seeing Wake and Notre Dame go home lol. 

Then maybe Maryland can do us a solid and upset UK next Saturday. 

Greetings from fairly warm Armstrong Stadium with a very nice crowd.

Air Force like Michigan has basically said they will play their normal attack and if they give up goals so be it and we will try to match. We came out with a bang with the 2 goals and dominated first 25-30 min. Last 15-20 we were not as sharp and Air Force used their dangerous speed in the mid to control play but our D was up to the task. 

Games not over given this Air Force attack but we’re in a good spot with the 2 goal lead and hopefully can bring this home.