Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Montana State - 11/9 - 8:00 ET

10 hours ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

Langford looks like he's aiming the ball when he shoots if that makes sense. 

I’m no shot doctor, but was always taught to keep eyes on front of the rim and shoot over it.  Not follow the ball after it’s released on a free throw.  Watch Romeo, as soon as he releases the ball his eyes immediately start following the ball. No charge for the tip this time RoMeO!  :103:

Terry Hutchens - Herald Bulletin

BLOOMINGTON — Two of the three Indiana players who missed the season opener against Chicago State — Al Durham and Race Thompson — played in Friday night's 80-35 victory over Montana State.

But freshman Jerome Hunter missed his second game in a row. And IU coach Archie Miller acted as if it might be a while before the forward sees the court.

“Jerome is on a to-be-determined basis,’’ Miller said. “He's going to be out probably for a significant stretch here as we continue to try and figure out and find ways to get his diagnosis done. We need to find out what the correct way of handling it is, and then see where the next step is.’’

Miller described Hunter’s injury as “sort of a leg injury.’’

“But it's not a typical leg injury that is an injury caused by practicing or something,’’ Miller said. “It's more of an underlying effect that's causing him some pain. When we get all the answers, he'll be evaluated and decided on. As of right now, though, Jerome will be out for a to-be-determined amount of time.’’

CONDITIONING KEY FOR DAVIS

De’Ron Davis continues to come back from offseason surgery for an Achilles injury.

Friday night, he played 11 minutes. He scored eight points on 3-of-5 shooting and had four rebounds. He also had three blocked shots.

Miller said with Davis, it’s all about continuing to get him more minutes to help improve his conditioning.

“De'Ron needs to start pushing his conditioning level in the games,’’ Miller said. “That's what he has to start to work on right now. He's not ready defensively, more so than anything, to be able to guard a really good team, just because of the lack of reps and that. But he's going to have to work himself through it every day the best he can.

“He has to work himself through it the best he can in the games, and hopefully as he progresses through non-conference and enters conference play, he's in much better shape.’’

HAPPY GUESTS

Montana State dropped a 45-point game to Indiana on Friday night, but head coach Brian Fish felt like his team still competed well.

One positive he took was IU only had a 40-35 edge on the boards despite being a good rebounding team.

“I thought we competed against that team,’’ Fish said. “A lot of people feel like Indiana is one of the better rebounding teams. We got a little on the boards and did a lot of good things. I think we can take something from that because I don’t see a lot of teams like Indiana in the Big Sky.”

McROBERTS RESTS

Zach McRoberts started Friday but only played seven minutes, all in the first half.

Miller said McRoberts had some tightness is his back.

“He has been dealing with that for a good three-to-four weeks,’’ Miller said. “I don't think he felt very good early in part of the game, and from that point forward, we just decided to rest him.’’

I really hope not, but it sounds like Hunter May have a stress fracture type of injury to a foot or ankle area. Obviously speculating but rest/ surgery is the only way to get this healed. Hope I’m wrong.

8 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

People do know that defenders don't have to be "set" don't they? As long as they think the defensive player beats the offensive player to the spot it can be a charge. Having said that I did think some of them were iffy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If this was the rule, there would be a lot fewer free throw attempts and a lot more offensive fouls. The only way it's an offensive foul in this case is if the offensive player tries to push the defender out of his way. Montana State just had guys running to spots and colliding with our players and they were getting charge calls.

It's early and has been against two poor opponents.....but I'm concerned. The offense looks horrible- they just throw it around the perimeter until someone jacks up a 3 or drives into the defense. Have drawn plenty of fouls, but missed FT's at a maddening rate. The defense has been solid and there is clearly talent, but they look a lot rougher then I hoped. Also really disappointed in Green's play so far and it doesn't appear Smith can finish a lay-up if anyone is near him....then he misses any FT's.  I guess I bought into the hype too much, but was expecting more because this looks like a talented collection of players, but not a team yet. I know, it's early, but am I wrong?  

I try not to be "that guy" but have been irritated after both games so far. 

7 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

It's early and has been against two poor opponents.....but I'm concerned. The offense looks horrible- they just throw it around the perimeter until someone jacks up a 3 or drives into the defense. Have drawn plenty of fouls, but missed FT's at a maddening rate. The defense has been solid and there is clearly talent, but they look a lot rougher then I hoped. Also really disappointed in Green's play so far and it doesn't appear Smith can finish a lay-up if anyone is near him....then he misses any FT's.  I guess I bought into the hype too much, but was expecting more because this looks like a talented collection of players, but not a team yet. I know, it's early, but am I wrong?  

You're aware the offense has shot 56 and 57% from the field the last couple games right? Horrible is a massive exaggeration. 

8 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Agree the 1/2 court offense is lagging. It is a freshman back court. Very likely Archie has spent 75% of his practices on defense. Look for the offensive sophistication to improve over the weeks.

4 minutes ago, Miller'sTheMan said:

You're aware the offense has shot 56 and 57% from the field the last couple games right? Horrible is a massive exaggeration. 

I am aware of that, Some of the dunks have looked great too. As I said though,  it LOOKS horrible- like a Y League offense.  

1 minute ago, Stromboli said:

Agree the 1/2 court offense is lagging. It is a freshman back court. Very likely Archie has spent 75% of his practices on defense. Look for the offensive sophistication to improve over the weeks.

I'm sure you're right and I'm over-reacting. 

19 hours ago, jbell833 said:

IMG_8593.jpg
Don't wanna say I told you so but...I told you so ha. Also called him a poor man's Yogi and potential 4 year starter and questioned by many. I think many are glad this came to fruition. We have our floor leader for the next 4 years folks AND MAN IT FEELS GOOD!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

don't break that arm pattin' yourself on the back