Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

2018-19 IU Season Thread

8 hours ago, Aeggie said:

It isn't Northwestern football taking precedence over IU basketball. If the situation were flipped and Indiana made it to the title game out of the east - lol - and the game were at Northwestern it would also be moved. There's no way they're going to have one school playing a men's basketball game and a football game especially when one is the Big Ten title game. They're not going to cannibalize their own ratings like that. It has nothing to do with which programs are in the situation. 

I understand the TV ratings aspect...the IU-NU basketball game was originally scheduled for 5:00, the football game is scheduled for 8:00, so they would not overlap. I was a little more concerned about what the earlier start does for the home crowd, particularly the students.  BTW, what time is the December 1st game?  I have seen 1:00 and also 12:00.  

The B1G football championship this year will not even feature the two best teams or even 2 of the 3 best teams in the conference, as those three are in the same division.   NU has 4 losses including dropping two at home to Duke and Akron.  The East and West B1G football are not very balanced.  NU football playing for a championship is okay, but just how relevant?  NU has 3 B1G football championships since 1936 including two shared, the last one in 2000.  IU has 2 including 1 shared in 1967 (Rose Bowl). NU did not play Ohio State or Penn State this year (or in 2000). NU football is only marginally better than IU football historically. 

A B1G football championship between the best team and the fourth best team in the conference doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but whatever.  If the Hoosiers basketball team were a top 10 or 5 team, which is where we all want the program to be, and where it should be, this first IU B1G basketball game time would likely not have been changed due to a football game that may or may not decide the best team in the conference.  JMO

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Need names dang it. Tell me Mcroberts is back please

Black Friday shopping?

I’ll take a Romeo, Al, Race, DeRon, DeVonte, a McBob.

if we could also get a Jerome by Xmas? Now you’re spoiling us!

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Maybe I'm missing the mark here....but I have no idea who Sam Story is.  All I found was that he had made a total of 48 tweets and went to IU.  I haven't found any solid reports of player's health and I know IU plays that close to the vest.

He's got some connections, generally his insight is 'solid' - but things can change.

1 hour ago, MemphisHoosier said:

He's got some connections, generally his insight is 'solid' - but things can change.

Cool.  Just would feel better with names.  There is no doubt that Hunter isn't healthy.  Saying we are 'almost fully healthy' IMO is saying that we would getting back multiple players of the seven for next game and then within a week the rest (sans Hunter).

Little blurbs I've seen from the Indy Star would make it most likely that Romeo and Al are the most likely to play tonight and that De'ron not playing against UTA was mostly a precautionary thing.  Sure, we don't need to rush players back given our opponent tonight (knock on wood), but for player and team development we do need to start getting these guys on the court.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Cool.  Just would feel better with names.  There is no doubt that Hunter isn't healthy.  Saying we are 'almost fully healthy' IMO is saying that we would getting back multiple players of the seven for next game and then within a week the rest (sans Hunter).

Little blurbs I've seen from the Indy Star would make it most likely that Romeo and Al are the most likely to play tonight and that De'ron not playing against UTA was mostly a precautionary thing.  Sure, we don't need to rush players back given our opponent tonight (knock on wood), but for player and team development we do need to start getting these guys on the court.

Without knowing what Hunter had who knows. There are conditions that are terrible but as soon as you get treatment you are back to normal almost overnight

On 11/22/2018 at 4:52 PM, hoosierdogg said:

I understand the TV ratings aspect...the IU-NU basketball game was originally scheduled for 5:00, the football game is scheduled for 8:00, so they would not overlap. I was a little more concerned about what the earlier start does for the home crowd, particularly the students.  BTW, what time is the December 1st game?  I have seen 1:00 and also 12:00.  

The B1G football championship this year will not even feature the two best teams or even 2 of the 3 best teams in the conference, as those three are in the same division.   NU has 4 losses including dropping two at home to Duke and Akron.  The East and West B1G football are not very balanced.  NU football playing for a championship is okay, but just how relevant?  NU has 3 B1G football championships since 1936 including two shared, the last one in 2000.  IU has 2 including 1 shared in 1967 (Rose Bowl). NU did not play Ohio State or Penn State this year (or in 2000). NU football is only marginally better than IU football historically. 

A B1G football championship between the best team and the fourth best team in the conference doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but whatever.  If the Hoosiers basketball team were a top 10 or 5 team, which is where we all want the program to be, and where it should be, this first IU B1G basketball game time would likely not have been changed due to a football game that may or may not decide the best team in the conference.  JMO

College basketball is not even close to as popular as college football outside of the NCAA tournament and those are just the facts. You can look up the ratings yourself. If Indiana were ranked #1 and Ohio State were ranked #2 and they were scheduled to play during the same thing OSU was in the Big Ten title game the basketball game would be moved 10/10 times

It has nothing to do with IU and everything to do with the relative popularity of the two sports. It's a wide gulf.

Edited by Aeggie

15 minutes ago, Aeggie said:

College basketball is not even close to as popular as college football outside of the NCAA tournament and those are just the facts. You can look up the ratings yourself. If Indiana were ranked #1 and Ohio State were ranked #2 and they were scheduled to play during the same thing OSU was in the Big Ten title game the basketball game would be moved 10/10 times

It has nothing to do with IU and everything to do with the relative popularity of the two sports. It's a wide gulf.

The basketball game and the football game were not scheduled at the same time.  The IU-NU basketball game was set for 5:00, and the football game at 8:00.  Basketball game would have been over for an hour before the kickoff.  Was it necessary to move the game up by four hours? 

I absolutely understand football vs. basketball, so please stop trying to educate me.  BTW, this is the Indiana Hoosier basketball message forum, so I will naturally express my opinion.  I couldn't care less about NU football, but love IU basketball.  

Will likely be a bad day for NU fans with losses on both the hardwood and the gridiron.  

5 minutes ago, hoosierdogg said:

The basketball game and the football game were not scheduled at the same time.  The IU-NU basketball game was set for 5:00, and the football game at 8:00.  Basketball game would have been over for an hour before the kickoff.  Was it necessary to move the game up by four hours? 

I absolutely understand football vs. basketball, so please stop trying to educate me.  BTW, this is the Indiana Hoosier basketball message forum, so I will naturally express my opinion.  I couldn't care less about NU football, but love IU basketball.  

Will likely be a bad day for NU fans with losses on both the hardwood and the gridiron.  

Feel free to express your opinion just as I feel free to express mine. Just like you don't have to stop doing anything understand that I don't either.

A game scheduled an hour apart could easily go into a couple overtime periods which isn't super common but isn't something you'd call unanticipated either. A four hour game ensures that that won't happen. It's not surprising that the Big Ten would prefer to have more than an hour between the events, I'm sure the networks involved and the advertisers buying ads would agree.

22 minutes ago, Aeggie said:

Feel free to express your opinion just as I feel free to express mine. Thank you.  Just like you don't have to stop doing anything understand that I don't either.  Well, I certainly do not understand what you are saying here. 

A game scheduled an hour apart could easily go into a couple overtime periods which isn't super common but isn't something you'd call unanticipated either. So a basketball game scheduled to end an hour before a football game is more likely to go into overtime...got it.  A four hour game ensures that that won't happen. With four hours between the games, it will likely not go into overtime...okay.  It's not surprising that the Big Ten would prefer to have more than an hour between the events, I'm sure the networks involved and the advertisers buying ads would agree.  Well I do understand and agree with this.  

Star point guard Darius Garland has a meniscus injury in his left knee and is out indefinitely, Vanderbilt announced Saturday morning.

Without garland aka the alpha dog things could go south in a hurry for drew.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

IMG_6441.thumb.jpg.8e97077d89f920d6efc5c3fd88842e59.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The tough part is green could have used those games as much as anyone to learn to play with this team. Figure out how he fits in, etc.

Glad he’s back. Figuring out chemistry versus Duke is tough luck.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

To me Green is the type of guy that can really show out against a team like Duke.... I am very thankful he is back at it... I really feel Morgan can handle his own but anybody else that we have that likes to drive the lane could be in big trouble on Tuesday... Green's little elbow jumper could be HUGE!

5 hours ago, hoosierdogg said:

I never said that a game was more or less likely to go to OT based on when it's scheduled, you misread me. The point is a game COULD easily go an hour over. There are a couple multiple overtime games every year. We've already seen some 2OT games in this young season. But even a game that goes way, way over is extremely unlikely to go FOUR hours over. I don't know if that's ever happened. Not rocket science.