Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Chicago State - Tues. 11/6 at 6:30 pm ET

I am glad to read some positives about Green towards the end of this thread... I was holding my tongue (fingers) reading through some of the earlier posts.... I don't know if I am just being stubborn or what but I still see Green as the better option than RP.... 
Green has his moments when I want to choke him (all that dribbling right before the half to get stripped).... but when he comes down dribbles by the defender and pulls up from the elbow I know that shot is going in every single time... his head is always up and looking for a pass (albeit a fancy pass even when it may not be necessary)...
Phinisee is going to be the PG of the future, but i am just not sold on him being the PG of the current.... he still has a lot of work to do in my opinoin

The PNG with Green getting to the elbow is money. I still believe Green can be a major piece on this team but he has to, quickly, realize that a simple pass to an open shooter or cutter is better than a fancy one.

I would start Phinisee and bring Green off the bench until something changes. Phinisee will have freshman mistakes but I have a feeling he'll actually learn from them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

The PNG with Green getting to the elbow is money. I still believe Green can be a major piece on this team but he has to, quickly, realize that a simple pass to an open shooter or cutter is better than a fancy one.

I would start Phinisee and bring Green off the bench until something changes. Phinisee will have freshman mistakes but I have a feeling he'll actually learn from them.

Starting Phinisee is an investment maybe we drop a game or two in the season but a PG like that can help us win a tourney. DG was the type of PG coaches like Bo Ryan salivated at. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Btw am I too late to join the “Evan Fitzner didn’t even start at St Mary’s not sure how much he will help” wagon. Or is it full up?

One of the things I like most about Fitzner and Phinisee, they know basketball.  Fitzner seems to be able to slide into an open space like a good wide receiver sits down again a zone.  Phinisee will have to learn on the fly what passes, and plays, will and won't work at the collegiate level.  I'm glad we have both of them on the team. 

I am scheduling a physical exam after last night's game...I actually agree with John Crispin, which I'm not sure I've ever done before. But he canonized Phinsee, and I saw exactly what he saw. I think he's our PG. Green and maybe Durham are decent back-ups, but based on this game, Phinsee is definitely "the man" there. 

We're looking at a team with a really good shot at winning the Big Ten with a starting freshman backcourt.

Too bad Hunter wasn't playing, I'd have liked to have seen him in the mix.

I will postpone my thoughts on Moore until he's played a couple more times.

I am scheduling a physical exam after last night's game...I actually agree with John Crispin, which I'm not sure I've ever done before. But he canonized Phinsee, and I saw exactly what he saw. I think he's our PG. Green and maybe Durham are decent back-ups, but based on this game, Phinsee is definitely "the man" there. 
We're looking at a team with a really good shot at winning the Big Ten with a starting freshman backcourt.
Too bad Hunter wasn't playing, I'd have liked to have seen him in the mix.
I will postpone my thoughts on Moore until he's played a couple more times.

If Moore can get to that jump hook around the rim he's money. He looks a little better defensively but it'll take time. I do get excited about Moore and Forrester's potential though. They could be some blocking fools for us in the future.

2 hours ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I am glad to read some positives about Green towards the end of this thread... I was holding my tongue (fingers) reading through some of the earlier posts.... I don't know if I am just being stubborn or what but I still see Green as the better option than RP.... 

Green has his moments when I want to choke him (all that dribbling right before the half to get stripped).... but when he comes down dribbles by the defender and pulls up from the elbow I know that shot is going in every single time... his head is always up and looking for a pass (albeit a fancy pass even when it may not be necessary)...

Phinisee is going to be the PG of the future, but i am just not sold on him being the PG of the current.... he still has a lot of work to do in my opinoin

I think there is a little bit of a "set in stone" opinion of Green that won't change. He did have a couple moments when I was asking WTF, but he does a lot of good things too and he is a good defender.

21 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

I think there is a little bit of a "set in stone" opinion of Green that won't change. He did have a couple moments when I was asking WTF, but he does a lot of good things too and he is a good defender.

There is a lot of that too it to be sure but another major part is the constant rush to judgement on a player. It was several games into the season last year and several posters were chomping at the bit to write Morgan off. It wasn't too many games after that when the tune changed dramatically. It shouldn't really surprise anyone that many are already writing Green and Anderson(wth?) off and anointing Phinisee for the entire season after only one game. It's almost like being first with an opinion is more important than being accurate. 

53 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

anointing Phinisee for the entire season after only one game. It's almost like being first with an opinion is more important than being accurate. 

I don't really think it is after one game though. He ran the team in the secret scrimmage, started the exhibition game, performed well last night. CAM isn't one for hyperbole and even he said what we are seeing is what they see every day in practice. He also mentioned that Phinisee is physically ready for the college game. I don't know if he will continue to start or not, but I think it's clear he will be a significant contributor this season.

11 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I don't really think it is after one game though. He ran the team in the secret scrimmage, started the exhibition game, performed well last night. CAM isn't one for hyperbole and even he said what we are seeing is what they see every day in practice. He also mentioned that Phinisee is physically ready for the college game. I don't know if he will continue to start or not, but I think it's clear he will be a significant contributor this season.

I would be absolutely stunned if anyone other than Rob Phinisee starts at point guard on Friday night. If Rob plays within himself, I would be very surprised if anyone other than him starts at the point for the next four years.

All of this will help when recruiting big men, by the way.

16 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I like Phinisee and I like what i have seen from him so far. Still it is only one real game, though and there's no need to get too carried away. Phinisee will be a significant contributor in many games but he will also struggle at times and have poor games. We will need both Green and Phinisee to play well.