Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS - 2018 B1G Tournament Champs!

I'm confused. This was in the IU game notes. Yet this is our first tournament title since 2013, so obviously we had losses in the previous four B1G tourneys ... 

SETTING THE SCENE
• Indiana is the No. 1 seed for the Big Ten Tournament. IU advanced past No. 5-seeded Maryland in penalty kicks, 4-3, on Friday. The two teams played to a 1-1 draw.
• IU, the Big Ten regular season champions for the 15th time in program history, became the first team in league history to go 8-0 in conference play. Indiana is the first unbeaten and untied league champion since Penn State (6-0) in 2005.
The Hoosiers are unbeaten in the team's last 38 matches against Big Ten opponents, posting a record of 24-0-14. Indiana's last loss to a league foe was at Ohio State on Oct. 10, 2015.

Just now, LamarCheeks said:

I'm confused. This was in the IU game notes. Yet this is our first tournament title since 2013, so obviously we had losses in the past four B1G tourneys ... 

SETTING THE SCENE
• Indiana is the No. 1 seed for the Big Ten Tournament. IU advanced past No. 5-seeded Maryland in penalty kicks, 4-3, on Friday. The two teams played to a 1-1 draw.
• IU, the Big Ten regular season champions for the 15th time in program history, became the first team in league history to go 8-0 in conference play. Indiana is the first unbeaten and untied league champion since Penn State (6-0) in 2005.
The Hoosiers are unbeaten in the team's last 38 matches against Big Ten opponents, posting a record of 24-0-14. Indiana's last loss to a league foe was at Ohio State on Oct. 10, 2015.

Tied. Then lost in PKs

Well that was fun. I always love playing Michigan and give them a lot of credit. Unlike NW, PSU, Wiscy and OSU who basically park the bus and play crap soccer every time they play us Michigan really goes for it and tries to beat us all out with normal formations. They generally die doing it and this is why we have had tons of success recently with lots of open space and multiple goals but at least they try to beat us playing offense and I give them props for not changing the way they play despite knowing they are slightly inferior to us.

Everyone saw the game hopefully so I won’t recap too much other than to say having Dorsey is massive. We basically played him at a pseudo forward as one of 6 midfielders and Michigan had no chance against him and he created each of the first 2 goals and was fantastic all day.

Next I will talk about the crowd which was as big as a home game and all IU fans with 18 Michigan family members in the crowd and over 1,600 IU fans. Because Grand Park is so small though it was very intimate and standing room only with tons of people lined up on the fences like the MSU game in Elite 8 last year (that was obviously 5,500 since Armstrong is a lot bigger and 1,700 would fit into Armstrong easily). Like I said Friday Grand Park was also thrilled I am sure at the extra 1,600 IU fans today at $12 a pop. This netted them almost $20,000 extra dollars they would not of made if Maryland won. On behalf of all IU fans who were there to Grand Park "you're welcome". LOL

You could tell team loved clinching a championship in front of all the fans as they came over to the stands afterwards in their championship gear and acknowledged everyone and some of the fans went on the field for the trophy ceremony after (it was not a rushing of the field like MSU in the least). Obviously even if they win the national title it will be a lot less IU fans being in California so I think was really special to them to do it front of all their fans and family.

Now let’s move onto the NCAA tourney. Basically Michigan is almost certainly exactly the type of team we will face in first round with one or two great goal scorers up top but a leaky defense and a lot less talent. In that respect we could not have played a more perfect opponent today. I doubt we pass Wake for the number 1 overall seed since we lost to them but are a lock for the 2 seed like last year which carries the exact same benefits of three home games before college cup (1 through 4 seeds are exactly the same in soccer actually). I won’t begin to guess who we play in 1st round since there are 32 unseeded teams and it could literally be playing anyone of them. All I can tell you is they will be very similar to Michigan like I said before. I can tell you Sweet 16 we are most likely to be paired opposite Akron, Georgetown, Charlotte or Denver who are 14-17 in PRI (2 plays 15 in Sweet 16 barring an upset) and I will talk more about them assuming we win our first round game. Elite 8 in our bracket barring no upsets I would say UK is almost certain given our head to head and regional rivalry but Louisville is likely to be the 3 and has a similar loss to us against UK so it’s just as likely they will put them in the 6 opposite Louisville as the 7 opposite us. If not UK it will most likely be Notre Dame given the proximity and it’s another rematch but don’t rule out St. Mary’s, Virginia or even Stanford (god help us I hope not and I am literally fine with any of the other teams besides them).

One note: I have a weird travel situation next week and my flight gets back into IND around 1:45pm Sunday. I expect our first game to start at 1 given past precedent so my plan is to buy wifi on plane and follow first half on twitter than once I get into Indy (barring no delays) watch 2nd half on wifi in airport on BTN2go (broadcast will be free as per NCAA rules) so expect me to start posting only in 2nd half unless game is at a different time than usual. If we win I will be at games for Sweet 16 and Elite 8 barring something unforeseen so unless it’s warmer than I expect probably won’t be posting during games similar to this weekend. However, not going to college cup this year given distance so if we are lucky enough to make it I will be posting during championship nervously with everyone while watching on TV.