Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS - 2018 B1G Tournament Champs!

1 hour ago, ccgeneral said:

Yep.

Huh? My understanding is Rennicks and Dorsey will be gone at least through the weekend and possibly the first game of NCAA tourney depending on if they stay on the team for the next round of their tourney and given they way they have played that seems quite possible. Then they will be back for Sweet 16 assuming we win our first game in tourney. Do you know something different.

Love IU Maryland games. Teams are far and away the best in conference talent wise and its always a wonderful wide open game where one mistake will lead to a great chance by either side. We were bound to tie at some point this season and we finally have a game that goes into the books as just that (a pk win counts as a tie for record).

Weather was terrible with flurries and my hands nearly frost bit (I invested in a much warmer pair of gloves after to fix this) but the rest of me was reasonably comfortable in multiple layers. Overall given Maryland's talent level I think we played our best game in a long time and we were reasonably in control with most of the play and possesion. Gutman's goal was incredible to run past the entire Maryland defense and beat St. Clair both of which are incredibly hard to do. After our goal I thought our worst stretch was the last 20 minutes of regulation and am not sure how we left Di Rosa so free at midfield to easily dribble into the box and take Muse 1 on 1 for an easy equalizer. Even after they scored they had the better of the play the rest of regulation and we were lucky they did not go ahead. Once OT started we were completely dominant again and had multiple attempts for the win including one that hit the post in 2nd OT. 

Moving to PK's I am now convinced Yeagley cost us the Big Ten Tourney championship last year by removing Muse for Caulfield as Muse again saved 2 pk's which was the difference. That means in the 10 attempts in the elite 8 last year and today he's got 5 saves in 10 shots and very nearly saved 2 more as well which is absolutely incredible for PK's and shows why him and St. Clair today are far and away the best keepers in the conference. Caulfield on the other hand had all 5 sneak by him last year and was nowhere near a save. 

Crowd was good today for how cold it was and 95% IU so I am sure Grand Park loves IU advancing as thats several hundred extra fans for Sunday at $12 a ticket. I also love being right on top of the action as the bleachers are so close you can basically touch the players vs at IU or anywhere else while seats are very good you are still a little farther from the action with in IU's case a track or benches at other places (at Grand Park benches are with media on opposite side while bleachers for fans right at the out of bounds line on the other). 

Lastly from today we really missed Rennicks and to a lesser extent Dorsey. With the wide open play between these 2 teams there were multiple times in the game where having Palo up top trying to counter screwed us out of some really good attempts compared to if Rennicks had been running them at forward. Overall this is the most dominant we have looked against Maryland though and the first time I thought we had a slight advantage in a game since they joined the Big Ten where matches are usually as even as can be and today we were slightly better. This was a great test though and Maryland is very much on the level of whoever we will face in the Sweet 16 of NCAA tourney but we will get to do it at home with Rennicks and Dorsey then.

Moving to Michigan or Wisconsin (Michigan up 1-0 at half) either one is the equivalent of the level we will see in first game of NCAA tourney and we will still be without Rennicks and Dorsey most likely for that one so it will be an excellent tune up for a Big Ten Championship. Both teams are decent in every way but not spectacular at anything. Both have a bunch of average decent players with one standout. For both it’s a midfielder and in Wiscy’s case it’s Mitch Guitar and for Michigan Umar Farouk Osman. Just pay attention to either of those guys and make everyone else beat you (I don’t think anyone else can individually) and we should have this one and raise a second trophy this year. My preference is Michigan given our lack of luck with Wiscy in Big Ten tourney last 2 years but I’ll take either and knocking off Maryland was the hardest game we had left till at least Elite 8 if we make it that far.

Was it a replay of the first goal, and you thought it was live?

I honestly have no idea lol- has it on computer. It may have been a replay or a shot that went over crossbar- I’m questioning my sanity at this point . I could only pay half attention so anything is possible!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, mamasa said:

I honestly have no idea lol- has it on computer. It may have been a replay or a shot that went over crossbar- I’m questioning my sanity at this point

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

There was a shot in double OT that hit the far post right in front of me. Thats probably what you thought you saw as a goal

16 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

If we win the tourney you think we jump Wake for #1 seed. Not that there’s a difference but still. 

Yes I think that's possible if we win Sunday but given our head to head loss we may not. With that said we are a lock for the 1 or 2 given everyone around us has lost and the difference the between the 1 and 2 is 0 as you said (both carry same three home games till college cup). 

On 11/4/2018 at 11:54 AM, Naturalhoosier said:

Golden Corral at 4pm. Home for Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune and then nighty-night.

Tis the life of the Old Fart!

Friday night date night so the missus and I skipped Golden Corral and instead went to Choo Choo McGoo's.  I'll have to miss Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy so I can take a nap.  Otherwise I won't be able to stay awake for the entire first half of tonight's game.   :107:

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Friday night date night so the missus and I skipped Golden Corral and instead went to Choo Choo McGoo's.  I'll have to miss Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy so I can take a nap.  Otherwise I won't be able to stay awake for the entire first half of tonight's game.   :107:

There’s jeopardy on Netflix so you can get your fix 

Its Michigan who won 1-0 over Wiscy scoring on a PK. Hopefully we can shut them out since we have a much better D than Wiscy and they did not allow a goal in run of play. 

Also watching the replay of the PK's St. Clair got his hands on that last PK by Thomas that won but all that did was tip it in the net. Soccer is a game of inches and once again the inch bounced our way again this year instead of against us as it has in past years.

16 hours ago, Aaron said:

Huh? My understanding is Rennicks and Dorsey will be gone at least through the weekend and possibly the first game of NCAA tourney depending on if they stay on the team for the next round of their tourney and given they way they have played that seems quite possible. Then they will be back for Sweet 16 assuming we win our first game in tourney. Do you know something different.

My bad. I thought they were done for a bit after the first stage. Next games are on Nov. 16 & 19 and the Concacaf final is on 11/21.

GAMEDAY! We take on Michigan @ Noon on BTN for the Championship. Go Hoosiers!

Preview

Stream

Live Stats

BIG TEN TOURNAMENT HISTORY
• Sunday's match will be the team's 18th Big Ten Tournament Championship in program history and the fourth for the team in the last six years.
• The Hoosiers are 11-3-2 all-time in Big Ten Tournament Championship matches. IU and Wisconsin were declared co-champions in 1995 after the championship match was cancelled.
• IU has won 12 Big Ten tournament titles, sharing the 1995 crown with Wisconsin.
• The Hoosiers are 35-10-10 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament.
• Indiana last won the tournament title in 2013.