Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KDB

(2019) CG Harlond Beverly to Miami

10 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I assume you’ve omitted Damezi because he’s more of a wing/forward than a guard and not for the same reason you omitted someone else?

Yes; I was defining "guard" as a player who will be expected to play with the ball in his hands, and that does not appear to be what Damezi will be.

19 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Archie himself said it took 3 years before his first game 

I don't buy it. That is impossible to have that type of system in this day and age in college basketball. My guess is that is how long he thinks it would take to implement to see on court success but that's my guess. 

18 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I don't buy it. That is impossible to have that type of system in this day and age in college basketball. My guess is that is how long he thinks it would take to implement to see on court success but that's my guess. 

You know Archie’s system better than him. Hmm why doesn’t he have you on staff?  

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You know Archie’s system better than him. Hmm why doesn’t he have you on staff?  

I’d appreciate a citation where he said the system took three years to learn. Even if he said as much, the idea that the pack line — which is a relatively straightforward variant of man-to-man — takes three years to learn should seem suspicious to anyone who’s ever played basketball.

Now, if he said or meant it might take three years for the whole basketball program change to pay dividends, that seems believable.

7 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I’d appreciate a citation where he said the system took three years to learn. Even if he said as much, the idea that the pack line — which is a relatively straightforward variant of man-to-man — takes three years to learn should seem suspicious to anyone who’s ever played basketball.

Now, if he said or meant it might take three years for the whole basketball program change to pay dividends, that seems believable.

You talk as if all pack lines are the same. They aren’t. And besides it’s the offensive system I think he was referring to taking 3 years. And I think it was in his introductory press conference. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You talk as if all pack lines are the same. They aren’t. And besides it’s the offensive system I think he was referring to taking 3 years. And I think it was in his introductory press conference. 

I do vaguely recall something around that time — if not in the press conference then in an interview. I’m not trying to pester you, Brass, I see that repeated all over the place.

Three years to ramp up to peak effectiveness as a team on defense is fair, and overall the defense isn’t the current problem, it’s 32nd in KenPom (though it has been picked apart in conference pla, which is worrying). That’s not where we all hope it will be, but it’s good. I think that’s what @ap2345 meant.

By year three you have most of your own personnel, you have players with experience across the roster running it even if they’re not your personnel (think Smith and Durham), you sprinkle in some younger guys who have the ability to fit in, etc.

This video covers a huge part of the scheme. If the most notable signature item is to prevent dribble penetration, I would say the way they guard screens and opt not to switch seems a close second.

8 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I could see Damezie moving on. I don’t necessarily want that. I’m sure he thought he was going to be a bigger part of the equation early. He just looks frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm really surprised he hasn't been able to help at all. I thought even if his defense wasn't there he could give us some shooting on offense. Unfortunately, he just looks all out of place every time he gets into the game. Maybe things slow down for him in year two. 

With Beverly, I'm just happy we are recruiting someone else outside of Brooks. Getting both would be amazing. However, If Brooks were to fall through, I hardly see any other options out there unless we were to go JUCO/grad transfer route. It's kind of scary. 

I could see Damezie moving on. I don’t necessarily want that. I’m sure he thought he was going to be a bigger part of the equation early. He just looks frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
I agree. He just looks lost on the court.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I'm really surprised he hasn't been able to help at all. I thought even if his defense wasn't there he could give us some shooting on offense. Unfortunately, he just looks all out of place every time he gets into the game. Maybe things slow down for him in year two. 
With Beverly, I'm just happy we are recruiting someone else outside of Brooks. Getting both would be amazing. However, If Brooks were to fall through, I hardly see any other options out there unless we were to go JUCO/grad transfer route. It's kind of scary. 
The thinf is everyone wants tgis massive roster turnover but we only have two recruits right now. And who knows if davis is coming back or if hunter will be healthy.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk