Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs U of Southern Indiana (Exhibition) - Thurs., 11/1

I think everyone is sleeping on deron Davis. Romeo, Morgan and Davis on the floor should lead to good defense due to length, and Davis can play the post. He’s just not conditioned, but that will definitely improve over the season

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think the thing that scares me about DD is his lateral quickness and athleticism. He never had either before the injury. Offensively he is solid, but never has been a good defender or rebounder. I think he has a role on this team but I would be really surprised if at the end of the season he is averaging more than 12 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, mdn82 said:

I think the thing that scares me about DD is his lateral quickness and athleticism. He never had either before the injury. Offensively he is solid, but never has been a good defender or rebounder. I think he has a role on this team but I would be really surprised if at the end of the season he is averaging more than 12 8 mpg.

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Y'all are gonna' love Rob Phinisee.  I've been on his bandwagon for a few years now; and he'll ultimately be at least as important as a recruit as Romeo was.   You ain't seen nothin' yet.

I'm surprised you're able to type, you've been patting yourself on the back for this so long lol.  It appears you were right on this one, Rob looked great last night.  You were also high on Patterson and Gelon though, so you needed this one.

I'm a big Deron fan, I hope he does well this year.  But man, he was not impressive last night.  He still has very little athleticism,  and he keeps reaching.  Just put your arms up Deron!  Stop reaching

I agree that Rob looked good (well i didn't see yet but it sounds like he did)... however I am absolutely not sold that he will get the start once DG is healthy and ready to go... I can't wait to watch the replay tonight to see for myself but there were a couple times on the radio that it didn't sound so good for him...

I am probably a bigger Green supporter than most on here, but he is so very impressive to me with the things he can make happen on the floor and it didn't seem like Rob has that same type of vision and energy.... DG definitely needs to bring it in sometimes but I think he is a very important piece this year. I still think he is our starting PG at least through January... then we will see who emerges from there. (but my money would be on him all season.) 

13 minutes ago, Josh said:

I'm surprised you're able to type, you've been patting yourself on the back for this so long lol.  It appears you were right on this one, Rob looked great last night.  You were also high on Patterson and Gelon though, so you needed this one.

Hello, stalker.  And posse.   Nice to see you guys....predictable as the sunrise and comical.   I wonder if you ever actually add anything or just follow me and others around with this kind of garbage.   What a troll.

Anyway....since we never learned about Gelon or Patterson in Indiana uniforms, I'm not sure what you think your point is; but whatever.  Patterson ended up at Syracuse, which is no shabby program, and I always said Gelon would help as a spot up shooter late in his career in Crean's system.  And I still believe that.  Not so much in Miller's system.   Part of sports...   But you go on stalking and let me know the next time I'm wrong.  Until then....  Yours in Ramsey.

8 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I agree that Rob looked good (well i didn't see yet but it sounds like he did)... however I am absolutely not sold that he will get the start once DG is healthy and ready to go... I can't wait to watch the replay tonight to see for myself but there were a couple times on the radio that it didn't sound so good for him...

I am probably a bigger Green supporter than most on here, but he is so very impressive to me with the things he can make happen on the floor and it didn't seem like Rob has that same type of vision and energy.... DG definitely needs to bring it in sometimes but I think he is a very important piece this year. I still think he is our starting PG at least through January... then we will see who emerges from there. (but my money would be on him all season.) 

Green was either an All-American or a rash of turnovers waiting to happen last year. I'll have to see several good games in a row before I believe he's our PG. I've thought all along Phinsee would be the man.

5 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Hello, stalker.  And posse.   Nice to see you guys....predictable as the sunrise and comical.   I wonder if you ever actually add anything or just follow me and others around with this kind of garbage.   What a troll.

Anyway....since we never learned about Gelon or Patterson in Indiana uniforms, I'm not sure what you think your point is; but whatever.  Patterson ended up at Syracuse, which is no shabby program, and I always said Gelon would help as a spot up shooter late in his career in Crean's system.  And I still believe that.  Not so much in Miller's system.   Part of sports...   But you go on stalking and let me know the next time I'm wrong.  Until then....  Yours in Ramsey.

Lol, that's strange you feel this way.  I've not commented on the Ramsey debate all year, but you keep mentioning me by name in the game threads.  Many many times.  Now I mention you one time and I'm a stalker with a posse?  Wow.  

Patterson ended up at IUPUI, but regardless my point is valid.

5 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I have 0 dog in this fight, but you left out a whole lot of context here.

Patterson was at Syracuse for two years. He never averaged more than 2 points or 15 minutes. He shot 17% from 3 as a sophomore. He transferred to IUPUI where he did slightly better, but was never anything more than a role player. 

Gelon ended up at a place called State Fair Community College. He wasn't Matt Roth or Ziesloft and he wasn't ever going to be.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Couple others did as well Old Fart being one of them. Dig up RPs old thread and go to right before he committed. Fun stuff to go look back at. Kid is a winner. Leading his team to the state finals as a sophomore was when he got my attention.

I've also been in in that camp from the start.Loved the kid since seeing him in the state finals against NA and have followed him closely since.

I loved Romeos defensive instincts, jumping the passing lanes. Reminded me of Vic O in that way.

He was disjointed completely on offense. Hoping we can get him more open looks as time goes on.

One thing that was noticeable despite a bad offensive game is that he can score in Every way.

I saw twice RP penetrated and had 2 guys open and passed it to “not Romeo” both times. It’ll be interesting to see where we get the ball to Romeo as the season progresses. He forced a couple shots and made 3-4 really bad passes. BUT I’m not concerned at all. You can tell it’s all going to translate.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, HoosierX said:

I feel like there are some very strong opinions being formed based on a very limited sample size for Phinisee (obviously Old Friend is basing it on more than that).

Let's see him against some real competition before we crown him.

Well, can tell you this...we have definitely seen Green against that kind of competition and it's nothing to crow about. If RP even slightly improves, I would take a natural PG to run this team. ZERO TO's in 28 min in your first college game against whomever. When have we seen Green do that?

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Lol, that's strange you feel this way.  I've not commented on the Ramsey debate all year, but you keep mentioning me by name in the game threads.  Many many times.  Now I mention you one time and I'm a stalker with a posse?  Wow.  

Patterson ended up at IUPUI, but regardless my point is valid.

Selective memory is a beautiful thing.  Mention me one time?  That's funny.  Written history differs from that, Grasshopper.

Patterson also went to Syracuse.  For the sake of your selective memory :  https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2015/04/former_syracuse_basketball_guard_ron_patterson_announces_he_will_transfer_to_iup.html

Until next time....

1 hour ago, KB0 said:

I have 0 dog in this fight, but you left out a whole lot of context here.

Patterson was at Syracuse for two years. He never averaged more than 2 points or 15 minutes. He shot 17% from 3 as a sophomore. He transferred to IUPUI where he did slightly better, but was never anything more than a role player. 

Gelon ended up at a place called State Fair Community College. He wasn't Matt Roth or Ziesloft and he wasn't ever going to be.

Doesn't matter.  You don't end up at Syracuse if you can't play a little, and the guy was a terrific high school guard.   If you play 15 minutes a game at Syracuse, you could have played at Indiana.  He had a ton of personal sh*t in his life, also.  That contributed.  I will forever stand by my belief that he would have been just fine and done well at Indiana; and it's a straw man argument either way; so to use it as an arguing point saying I was wrong is idiotic.

Gelon was a spot up shooter.   In Crean's system, he may have fit; and I believed so.  How he does elsewhere is not relevant, and I never compared him to Zeisloft.   What context is missing?

1 hour ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I've just never been impressed with Green.  I see a street ball player.  I see the occassional flashy play with floods of downside.

Even last year his short stretch of good was preceeded and followed by being absolutely brutal.

Phinisee is a freshman and will make mistakes.  I like seeing 0 turnovers in 28 minutes though.  Green would've had one turnover by tip-off.

You guys fighting over who was right or wrong about certain players is comical. Old friend has probably watched rob play and thought he would be good at iu. He also probably thought grant and Patterson would be good. He may be right or he may have been wrong we will only find out about 1 of them. But we were paying a man and his staff several million dollars a year to find us good players and coach them and i feel they thought that those players would be good at indiana and i hope they watched more tape and in person games than old friend lol. Some guys pan out and some dont u cant trash someone for being wrong because it happens to everyone

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app