Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

IU takes care of problem of empty student seats behind court

You have to give Glass credit. He's been trying everything possible to fill the student seats closest to court last few years starting with GA so it looks better on TV. This should ensure all the lower level student seats are full by tipoff and you just have issues filling the balcony. Still more to go (although winning is biggest cure) but at least IU is trying to reward the most loyal students with the best seats.   

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/10/29/introducing-the-crimson-guard-seat-upgrade-at-mens-basketball-games.aspx

So this is a good start, but why not just make it the first 200 in the door? Why make it 2 days before fill out a request and get notified?

So what if you have students fill out the request, get the upgrade, and then decide not to go (before Tip Off)? It states they must arrive 1 hour before to keep those seats, so what if they don't... will they then be given to whoever is next in line?

2 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

So this is a good start, but why not just make it the first 200 in the door? Why make it 2 days before fill out a request and get notified?

So what if you have students fill out the request, get the upgrade, and then decide not to go (before Tip Off)? It states they must arrive 1 hour before to keep those seats, so what if they don't... will they then be given to whoever is next in line?

My guess the 2 days is so they have time to give away the original seats

The problem isn't with the students not showing up, it's with the team not consistently putting a quality product on the court the past few years. If they have the year we expect them to have then filling up the student section won't be a problem. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The problem isn't with the students not showing up, it's with the team not consistently putting a quality product on the court the past few years. If they have the year we expect them to have then filling up the student section won't be a problem. 

While I agree in premise that is definitely not the case much of the time... putting a great product on the floor will help immensely but this problem still exists because of all the options... Watch the game at a bar, at home, etc... are good options now... deal with cold walks etc to see IU dismantle Central Arkansas in Mid-December isn't as appealing to many students even if it is the best IU team in history!

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

My guess the 2 days is so they have time to give away the original seats

Wouldn't the seats still be sold already?

This isn't a new set of seats, this is an upgrade for those who already have GA tickets... Say there are 10,000 GA Seats, they still sell 10,000 GA tickets, but then just determine which 200 get to sit in that specific GA section...

27 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Wouldn't the seats still be sold already?

This isn't a new set of seats, this is an upgrade for those who already have GA tickets... Say there are 10,000 GA Seats, they still sell 10,000 GA tickets, but then just determine which 200 get to sit in that specific GA section...

What it does as I said is ensure the court seats is full by tipoff which has been a bit of an issue. My guess is the seats will go to GA people in normal line if the people who purchase these seats 2 days before don't show up by the hour before.

Court use to not be GA and many students showed up late or not at all. This ensures every court seat is used by students who really want to be there and fills the section by tipoff  

20 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

While I agree in premise that is definitely not the case much of the time... putting a great product on the floor will help immensely but this problem still exists because of all the options... Watch the game at a bar, at home, etc... are good options now... deal with cold walks etc to see IU dismantle Central Arkansas in Mid-December isn't as appealing to many students even if it is the best IU team in history!

So compared to many here, I'm old.  Not yet 50, but old by most standards.   I was at IU in the late 80's and early 90's.  And we were good.  Very good.  Had become used to BEING that good.  Spoiled, even.  And most people I knew would have fought for tickets to any game.   We were given just 4 games each season.  Not "all of them."    I think it was a mistake to give students access to every game because they've taken it for granted.    I sat in top row of the balcony many times, and got just one game per season down low.  

The thought process that says "I can watch it on TV and it's not important to me" is the result of full access, and it's upsetting.  This is Indiana men's basketball.  It shouldn't matter one bit who we're playing or whether it's cold out.   I get it if you can go to every game; but still wish students wouldn't be so cavalier about games,   Duke sells out regardless of who they're playing, and student section is crazy.  In large part because students don't get to go to every game.   The students help create the atmosphere; and not every game can be a "big" one.  If you can go...go.  And be loud as hell.

So compared to many here, I'm old.  Not yet 50, but old by most standards.   I was at IU in the late 80's and early 90's.  And we were good.  Very good.  Had become used to BEING that good.  Spoiled, even.  And most people I knew would have fought for tickets to any game.   We were given just 4 games each season.  Not "all of them."    I think it was a mistake to give students access to every game because they've taken it for granted.    I sat in top row of the balcony many times, and got just one game per season down low.  
The thought process that says "I can watch it on TV and it's not important to me" is the result of full access, and it's upsetting.  This is Indiana men's basketball.  It shouldn't matter one bit who we're playing or whether it's cold out.   I get it if you can go to every game; but still wish students wouldn't be so cavalier about games,   Duke sells out regardless of who they're playing, and student section is crazy.  In large part because students don't get to go to every game.   The students help create the atmosphere; and not every game can be a "big" one.  If you can go...go.  And be loud as hell.

You said it better than I did.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

So how does that help the situation? Part of the allure of going to Indiana is playing at AH. So how by students not showing up is not the students fault? If that’s the sentiment there shouldn’t be that much of an allocation to the students. Especially if they are finicky.

I've addressed this before. The problem is filling the balcony mostly. IU put out a feeler several years ago to season ticket holders on waiting list and no one wanted the balcony seats. Basically its give the balcony seats to students or let them sit empty not sold as Illinois did for many of their weeknight games.

Winning will take care of most of the issue except the showing up late part which GA has mostly fixed for the lower seats for TV purposes and now that will fix for court as well with this new promotion. Glass has tried everything with distribution of student season tickets to fix attendance and this is the latest one.    

I've addressed this before. The problem is filling the balcony mostly. IU put out a feeler several years ago to season ticket holders on waiting list and no one wanted the balcony seats. Basically its give the balcony seats to students or let them sit empty not sold as Illinois did for many of their weeknight games.
Winning will take care of most of the issue except the showing up late part which GA has mostly fixed for the lower seats for TV purposes and now that will fix for court as well with this new promotion. Glass has tried everything with distribution of student season tickets to fix attendance and this is the latest one.    

Eh I have been to many games over the last few years and many seats in the lower bowl were not filled.

8 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

So compared to many here, I'm old.  Not yet 50, but old by most standards.   I was at IU in the late 80's and early 90's.  And we were good.  Very good.  Had become used to BEING that good Spoiled, even.  And most people I knew would have fought for tickets to any game.   We were given just 4 games each season.  Not "all of them."    I think it was a mistake to give students access to every game because they've taken it for granted.    I sat in top row of the balcony many times, and got just one game per season down low.   

You do realize that IU gives students that many tickets now because the alumni and general public dropped there season tickets to the point where there are only 8,000 season ticket holders and a couple hundred on the waiting list? In the glory days you had a season ticket base of like 15,000 hence students got only like 2,000 divided up.

The increased number of student distribution is because old people dropped season tickets and IU does not want to sell individual games except over break to ensure maximum revenue and announced sellouts every game.

Eh I have been to many games over the last few years and many seats in the lower bowl were not filled.

Correct by both students and alum. Winning will take care of that and IU is unwilling to sell single game tickets since they want to maximize revenue and announce sellouts for every game.

At this point people can differ on whether IU would be smart to sell individual tickets to each game but if we want announced sellouts every game and things sold out via season tickets as its always been there is no other way to distribute tickets right now and you will have empties till team wins. That is the reality.     

You do realize that IU gives students that many tickets now because the alumni and general public dropped there season tickets to the point where there are only 8,000 season ticket holders and a couple hundred on the waiting list? In the glory days you had a season ticket base of like 15,000 hence students got only like 2,000 divided up.

The increased number of student distribution is because old people dropped season tickets and IU does not want to sell individual games except over break to ensure maximum revenue and announced sellouts every game.

I have been on the season ticket waitlist for years. I had never seen an email asking if I would take balcony (I would). The old people dropped season tickets because they started passing away. The school decided they wanted a more traditional student section. It hasn’t worked.

Edit: I guess I am pretty damn unlucky if there are only a few hundred every year. You would think those people would be a pretty easy add then with open seats from the students....

Correct by both students and alum. Winning will take care of that and IU is unwilling to sell single game tickets since they want to maximize revenue and announce sellouts for every game.
At this point people can differ on whether IU would be smart to sell individual tickets to each game but if we want announced sellouts every game and things sold out via season tickets as its always been there is no other way to distribute tickets right now and you will have empties till team wins. That is the reality.     

It’s pretty easy to see where there are open seats on any given night. Most know where the student section is. It isn’t even close when it comes to who has tickets and who is showing up. The individual game tix I have nothing in on. Not sure where that came from. This is about season tix. You had said there are only a few hundred on the waitlist. It should be pretty easy to accommodate those people and remove from students if they don’t show year in and year out, which they haven’t.

They need to make it so the first 200 students at the gate get them. That way people come early and are rewarded and also get to sit with the friends they came with.

The approach being implemented is over thinking and complicating things in a negative way

I have been on the season ticket waitlist for years. I had never seen an email asking if I would take balcony (I would). The old people dropped season tickets because they started passing away. The school decided they wanted a more traditional student section. It hasn’t worked.

That is absolutely not correct. I have talked to someone I know in ticket sales in the athletic department in last few years and the reason they increased student distribution is because so many alumni dropped the tickets late in the Knight days and they want to keep everything sold out via season tickets and it has zero to do with wanting a true student section.

The excuse about wanting a true student section might be what IU tells us publicly but I can promise you that is not the case and it is what I said above.

As for the feeler maybe you were not one of the people contacted.  I was never told if everyone was contacted but maybe only some where as a sampling and you were not included. I do know the results of how every many people surveyed was over 80% did not want balcony so they kept giving them to students.

I could see the attendance problem going one of two ways this year. We were only given 12 games this year instead of the 16 we were supposed to get because of the amount of students who bought tickets. Obviously the hype for this year because of Romeo is the cause for more students being interested in getting tickets this year. Hopefully this excitement results in everyone showing up and filling the seats. Or you could look at it pessimistically and think that people who don’t care as much were given tickets now instead of people who do care and will show up to every single game. It’s really tough to ensure everyone gets the same opportunity to attend games but also guarantee to get passionate students who will show up regardless of who the opponent is or any other outlying factors. The biggest factor I think is the team being able to consistently show a quality product. If we’re winning, people will show up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

They need to make it so the first 200 students at the gate get them. That way people come early and are rewarded and also get to sit with the friends they came with.

The approach being implemented is over thinking and complicating things in a negative way

It may not be perfect but its better than giving them to students who sometimes did not use them. This ensures all the court seats will be filed by tipoff and used since you will lose them if you respond to the email and do not show up an hour before.

6 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

It’s pretty easy to see where there are open seats on any given night. Most know where the student section is. It isn’t even close when it comes to who has tickets and who is showing up. The individual game tix I have nothing in on. Not sure where that came from. This is about season tix. You had said there are only a few hundred on the waitlist. It should be pretty easy to accommodate those people and remove from students if they don’t show year in and year out, which they haven’t.

Look I was at every game last year and there were several Big Ten games where the public showing was almost as bad on the west side as students were on the east side (Illinois and Minny come to mind).