Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

IU takes care of problem of empty student seats behind court

It'll never happen, especially now post-renovation, but I've been saying since my freshman year that they should get rid of the balconies and make the arena a steep bowl with the banners hanging over the short side (like as is now) with the other end being steep like Maryland's student section. Put the students there GA and the rest of the seats public. 

It'll never happen, especially now post-renovation, but I've been saying since my freshman year that they should get rid of the balconies and make the arena a steep bowl with the banners hanging over the shirt side (like as is now) with the other end being steep like Maryland's student section. Put the students there GA and the rest of the seats public. 

I agree with you. I’m no engineer, but I wonder if it is possible to remove the balconies and take the number of seats lost and move them to behind the baskets. (If that makes sense)

Not to pile on FG, but I think there may have been a better way to go about the renovations

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree with you. I’m no engineer, but I wonder if it is possible to remove the balconies and take the number of seats lost and move them to behind the baskets. (If that makes sense)

Not to pile on FG, but I think there may have been a better way to go about the renovations

Personally I think he does well in other areas but he screwed the pooch on this one.

14 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I think the way Assembly Hall was built and the uniqueness of the seating plan makes it very difficult to make significant changes.  There is really no space behind the baskets, as those areas are already abutting the lobbies.  A balcony above them would look very awkward, and may hurt the view of people in the corners of the bowl.  I think suites are pretty much the only option.

As far as the sidelines, I think they literally get in as many seats as they can... unfortunately that means the view form the balcony seats is just not good.

With that said, I think the unique floor plan is a big reason why Assembly Hall is truly special. 

• There just isn't another arena in the country that looks anything like it on the inside or the outside.  The second you step into the arena you know you are in some place different.
  • The set up and acoustics allow the arena to get incredibly loud.
  • Because the seating behind the basket is so limited, it allows the team to showcase the banners right next to the court ( and not up in the rafters).

There are some things about Assembly Hall that could be improved, but overall I think we already have a pretty amazing arena to play basketball.

49 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

I think the way Assembly Hall was built and the uniqueness of the seating plan makes it very difficult to make significant changes.  There is really no space behind the baskets, as those areas are already abutting the lobbies.  A balcony above them would look very awkward, and may hurt the view of people in the corners of the bowl.  I think suites are pretty much the only option.

As far as the sidelines, I think they literally get in as many seats as they can... unfortunately that means the view form the balcony seats is just not good.

With that said, I think the unique floor plan is a big reason why Assembly Hall is truly special. 

• There just isn't another arena in the country that looks anything like it on the inside or the outside.  The second you step into the arena you know you are in some place different.
  • The set up and acoustics allow the arena to get incredibly loud.
  • Because the seating behind the basket is so limited, it allows the team to showcase the banners right next to the court ( and not up in the rafters).

There are some things about Assembly Hall that could be improved, but overall I think we already have a pretty amazing arena to play basketball.

I don't disagree with you;  however, I would have loved to have seen all the possible options to choose from when considering a venue upgrade. 

Although the seats would be better if we played at a Bankers Life type venue, i would think it would be way too antiseptic for the Hoosiers. If they could build a newer stadium that encompassed the steep sides and acoustics of Assembly hall and mixed them in with elements from bankers life, Hinkle Fieldhouse, the Old Field house (HPER building), I think IU could have created one of the best arenas in college basketball without sacrificing nostalgia or character.

On a side note: I'd love to see IU play a throw-back game in the Hyper Building with old school uni's, limited seats and a classic team like Butler. That would be fun.