Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Indiana vs Iowa Game Thread 10/13 12:00PM ESPN2

2 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I don’t know how someone can call Ramsey a good downfield passer. At this point in his career he is not good downfield.  He just isn’t. He runs well and throws good short passes but is limited downfield.  That being said, today’s issues are in the trenches, tackling, the D stinks and stupid penalties. We were just called for being offsides on a kickoff (LOL). Does anyone EVER remember a game in which the coaches were flagged twice in the first half??

Who has called Ramsey a good downfield passer?  I can't think of anyone.  All I've ever said is he's not 5-yards-from-LOS limited, he's good enough to go after the intermediate part of the field.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

Who has called Ramsey a good downfield passer?  I can't think of anyone.  All I've ever said is he's not 5-yards-from-LOS limited, he's good enough to go after the intermediate part of the field.

He’s been called that many times.

15 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Throwing the ball a ton playing from behind but you also have to consider thsoe numbers were inflated against Charleston Southern, FIU and Ball St. Ramsey throws a decent ball but he lobs it too much when he tries to go deep and receivers more times than not have to come back. He's a very average QB. He's not going to turn it over and hurt you but he's not going to consistently put together big drives especially when we are behind. However, its far from just Ramsey. The defense lets up big plays and the running game has gone in the tank since we entered BIG play. I'm not a fan of Debord either. I really hope we let him go after this year. 

Those numbers weren't inflated by the first three games. In the three conference games he has 882 of his 1361 yards and 6 of his 11 touchdowns. I agree that he's average, though. That's about all we can hope for at IU. Ideally he'd be throwing 25 to 30 times a game like he did during the non-conference season. 

Imo, if the other aspects of the team were good then he would be enough at the qb position, but unfortunately they're not. 

Just now, Hoosier Guy said:

It is a legitimate question to inquire if IU does indeed practice tackling

One thing I have liked since Allen became the DC is that tackling improved and we stopped giving up so many 3rd and longs.  For some reason those improvements are down the drain today.  We seem to nearly always choke when we go into a “tipping point” game that we have a  reasonable chance of winning.  Just look bad today.

9 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I don’t know how someone can call Ramsey a good downfield passer. At this point in his career he is not good downfield.  He just isn’t. He runs well and throws good short passes but is limited downfield.  That being said, today’s issues are in the trenches, tackling, the D stinks and stupid penalties. We were just called for being offsides on a kickoff (LOL). Does anyone EVER remember a game in which the coaches were flagged twice in the first half??

He's not good, but he's not as bad as the staff seems to think he is either. They're treating him like he has a Zander Diamont noodle arm by not going more than 5 yards past the line. He can throw 10-15 yards downfield well enough that there's no reason to not include those passes in the game plan. It's all part of the staff's zero risk taking mentality that ensures we'll lose every game against a team as good or better than us. 

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

One thing I have liked since Allen became the DC is that tackling improved and we stopped giving up so many 3rd and longs.  For some reason those improvements are down the drain today.  We seem to nearly always choke when we go into a “tipping point” game that we have a  reasonable chance of winning.  Just look bad today.

Iowa is just a better team. They play disciplined football. It clearly shows

Just now, Joe DeLow said:

We’ve always sucked at kick returns. So it is a perfect strategy. Not even sure why they do kickoffs anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It just goes with the zero risk mindset that's been harped on already. If the offense stinks, why not at least try to get good field position? The only TD so far came from a turnover where the field was shortened. There's already been 100 missed tackles and stupid penalties; if someone fumbles a return or a missed block means its returned to the 10, so what at this point?

I’m sure this has been mentioned somewhere, but UK has a ranked team this year. They’re obviously turning the corner so how is it IU can’t put a decent program together?

Feels like every year we’re collectively wishing for that 6th win just be bowl eligible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, theriverpilot said:

I’m sure this has been mentioned somewhere, but UK has a ranked team this year. They’re obviously turning the corner so how is it IU can’t put a decent program together?

Feels like every year we’re collectively wishing for that 6th win just be bowl eligible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They found a "good enough" coach that they were very patient with. Allen could be that guy for IU, especially given his focus on D and his ability so far to recruit. The offense needs an overhaul though.