Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Indiana vs Iowa Game Thread 10/13 12:00PM ESPN2

McRobbie specials! Nothing will change till he is GONE! Well, you all know my opinion of that DB so!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

That doesn’t stand for defensive back by the way! Lol

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

and I don't buy it wen people say....."who"...r they going to get to come there to coach......if they would lay out the big bucks (not going to happen of course) there r some coaches out there who know how to turn a program around and win

37 minutes ago, azguybob said:

and I don't buy it wen people say....."who"...r they going to get to come there to coach......if they would lay out the big bucks (not going to happen of course) there r some coaches out there who know how to turn a program around and win

Who?   Name your guy.  Who would come to Indiana?  If you don't buy it...sell it.  We are in the BIG East division with OSU, Penn State, and Michigan.  4th is our ceiling barring lightening in a bottle; and I don't care if people say that's defeatist....it's realist.  Those places seat 100,000+.  They are all football blue bloods.  We are not competing with them on a consistent basis.  So "turn around" means...what?  We get to consistent 7-8 wins instead of consistent 5-6?   I'm not saying you're wrong; but "big bucks" is a relative discussion.  What are you getting for "big bucks?"    You're already getting huge money from bowls because of the alliance with the Big Ten and their bowl allotment, so the payoff there is negligible even if you make a bowl.   Attendance isn't going to climb that much; so what does IU really get for that investment of "big bucks?"  And what guarantee do you have that anything would change?

You can go all the way back to Howard Schnellenberger and count examples from there.  "Names" don't always pan out.   Hell, we hired Cam Cameron who was a very successful NFL coordinator and he never went to a bowl here despite having one of the best offenses in the country.  Indiana is hamstrung by the stupidity of the divisions.  Purdue is in a MUCH better situation than we are because they can easily set up a schedule to win 8-9 games on a consistent basis.  That's much harder at Indiana, like it or not.

On 10/14/2018 at 7:57 AM, schoosier said:

It’s hard to imagine 87-88 two years of 8 win seasons are the best back to back seasons ever. And I was there. Also, hard to believe it was our last NC in basketball. Hopefully, that changes soon.

I was there, too. And think -- back then we actually sold out a few games! I just can't imagine us selling out a game these days. Mallory had it going good, but just couldn't sustain it. Is still boggles my mind how everybody caught up to us in basketball, but we haven't done the same in football. There was a 20-25-year stretch there where Wisconsin couldn't beat us. When Penn State came into the league, that was an automatic W. Now, we can't beat Wisconsin and Penn State is an iffy proposition at best. But they continue to beat the crap out of us in football. I think in the past 50-60 years or so, we have a total of four wins against Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State. You'd think by accident we'd get a W every now and then against those schools. But nope. Doesn't happen. 

9 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Who?   Name your guy.  Who would come to Indiana?  If you don't buy it...sell it.  We are in the BIG East division with OSU, Penn State, and Michigan.  4th is our ceiling barring lightening in a bottle; and I don't care if people say that's defeatist....it's realist.  Those places seat 100,000+.  They are all football blue bloods.  We are not competing with them on a consistent basis.  So "turn around" means...what?  We get to consistent 7-8 wins instead of consistent 5-6?   I'm not saying you're wrong; but "big bucks" is a relative discussion.  What are you getting for "big bucks?"    You're already getting huge money from bowls because of the alliance with the Big Ten and their bowl allotment, so the payoff there is negligible even if you make a bowl.   Attendance isn't going to climb that much; so what does IU really get for that investment of "big bucks?"  And what guarantee do you have that anything would change?

You can go all the way back to Howard Schnellenberger and count examples from there.  "Names" don't always pan out.   Hell, we hired Cam Cameron who was a very successful NFL coordinator and he never went to a bowl here despite having one of the best offenses in the country.  Indiana is hamstrung by the stupidity of the divisions.  Purdue is in a MUCH better situation than we are because they can easily set up a schedule to win 8-9 games on a consistent basis.  That's much harder at Indiana, like it or not.

No reason we can't get the up and coming coach from Toledo like Iowa State got. However, we have no chance if we are going to pay what we are paying for coaches. The odds are already stacked against us with being in the BIG East but I do still believe we can find a coach having a good amount of success at a mid major that might bite. Terry Hoepener is the only example I can think of in recent history where we went this route and it was sstarting to pay dividents until his unfortunate passing. Those were the best coached teams we have had since I have been following IU and not the most talented persay. However, when you don't want to actually conduct a coaching search or choose not to pay what Minnesota, Purdue etc are paying you will never have even a remote chance with these guys. 

18 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

No reason we can't get the up and coming coach from Toledo like Iowa State got. However, we have no chance if we are going to pay what we are paying for coaches. The odds are already stacked against us with being in the BIG East but I do still believe we can find a coach having a good amount of success at a mid major that might bite. Terry Hoepener is the only example I can think of in recent history where we went this route and it was sstarting to pay dividents until his unfortunate passing. Those were the best coached teams we have had since I have been following IU and not the most talented persay. However, when you don't want to actually conduct a coaching search or choose not to pay what Minnesota, Purdue etc are paying you will never have even a remote chance with these guys. 

I'm with you on Hep, but his goal was "play 13," and we can do that under Allen.   At least I think we can.  His recruiting is on par and even better than what Hep's was; and the goal is still 6-8 wins every year because that's IU's ceiling barring lightening in a bottle every now and then.   Even if we hired an up and comer, the odds of his staying if and when he has success are minimal.

Again, I don't mean to be defeatist; but we are who we are.

5 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

IU doesn’t care about sports. It took until 2018 to give men’s basketball a decent locker room and the facilities are still not the best in the conference. Football is always getting nickel and dimed. Diverting more resources to football may not make things better but running the program on the cheap is guaranteed to ensure the program stinks. Illinois is building an $80 million football only facility. Illinois. Why does IU think they are so special that they can get by with some new-age all-sports-are-equal BS? Because Fred is a shallow PR flack with no understanding of big time collegiate athletics. And he is given free reign to screw things up with no accountability.

Really?   You really believe this?   Indiana will be a top 10 basketball team this year and the program is absolutely on the way back.  Baseball is doing just fine.  As is soccer.   IU has spent millions on facilities and upgrades; and you HAVE to know Assembly Hall for what it is.  It's still one of the (if not THE) largest on-campus arenas in the country; and Cook Hall was built many years ago.  Women's basketball is worlds better than it was a decade ago.  

You have to understand why football just won't ever be the bell cow at Indiana, and it won't.  Spending money there has a ceiling and will as long as we are in this division.  Illinois doesn't have to play Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State every year.  The deck is stacked in their favor because of their division.   It's not the same situation.   I know...same conference; but save Wisconsin, there's no consistency in that division.   Why NOT Illinois?   The answer to that question is vastly different than why NOT Indiana?

49 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I'm with you on Hep, but his goal was "play 13," and we can do that under Allen.   At least I think we can.  His recruiting is on par and even better than what Hep's was; and the goal is still 6-8 wins every year because that's IU's ceiling barring lightening in a bottle every now and then.   Even if we hired an up and comer, the odds of his staying if and when he has success are minimal.

His recruiting could even be a little better than Hep. Hep put together a good staff. I think I'm still a little weary on Allen's. The big turning point came in year 3 for Hep even though Lynch had to step in to coach. Team got to a bowl game and showed progress each of his 3 years. Allen has got to right the ship and that starts by being more competitive against the likes of teams such as Iowa. No one ever expects to beat the tOSU/Mich types but the Iowa teams are the ones IU played close under Hep. We actually beat #13 Iowa in 2006 at home. It was Hep's first big win as an IU coach. We had a very average QB in Kellen Lewis too. Allen has a lot to fix but if the offense doesn't start taking a step forward by next year as I previously mentioned I will start worrying if he is the right guy for this job or just a really good d-coordinator that needs to go back to that role. 

1 hour ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

His recruiting could even be a little better than Hep. Hep put together a good staff. I think I'm still a little weary on Allen's. The big turning point came in year 3 for Hep even though Lynch had to step in to coach. Team got to a bowl game and showed progress each of his 3 years. Allen has got to right the ship and that starts by being more competitive against the likes of teams such as Iowa. No one ever expects to beat the tOSU/Mich types but the Iowa teams are the ones IU played close under Hep. We actually beat #13 Iowa in 2006 at home. It was Hep's first big win as an IU coach. We had a very average QB in Kellen Lewis too. Allen has a lot to fix but if the offense doesn't start taking a step forward by next year as I previously mentioned I will start worrying if he is the right guy for this job or just a really good d-coordinator that needs to go back to that role. 

I think we're in agreement on most if not all.  Maybe not saying it the same way.   Personally, I think (and there are a couple who will pounce on this) our situation at QB is so limiting to what our offense can do.  Ramsey is at best a game manager.  He's not a true threat to run like Lewis was or even like Diamont.  He CAN get yards on occasion; but he has happy feet and he's slow.   We can't get the ball downfield consistently, so without his ability to run, our offense is just so damned restricted.   On top of it, I saw him miss (and by miss, I mean didn't even see) wide open receivers in the secondary on Saturday, opting instead for simple check downs.  Ramsey is just not a guy we'll win with.  And his backup is a true freshman.  I really think Ramsey is a huge factor in our offense's limitations; although I know he has a small fan club here.  Losing Westbrook last season cost us a bowl bid, I think.   We were awful against Purdue, otherwise we'd have been in one and this discussion is different. Losing Cole Gest this year has hurt as well.

I am not at all "100% in" on Tom Allen.  He had 2 penalties on HIM Saturday; and he needs to improve as much as anyone in that locker room.  Our second half adjustments have been lacking or non-existent; and I haven;'t yet seen the improvement I'd like to; especially on defense which is supposed to be his specialty.  We're not a disciplined team, either; and that disappoints me most of all.  We're not going to out-talent Iowa; so we have to maintain discipline and win all of the intangibles.  Saturday, we won none of them.

8 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I think we're in agreement on most if not all.  Maybe not saying it the same way.   Personally, I think (and there are a couple who will pounce on this) our situation at QB is so limiting to what our offense can do.  Ramsey is at best a game manager.  He's not a true threat to run like Lewis was or even like Diamont.  He CAN get yards on occasion; but he has happy feet and he's slow.   We can't get the ball downfield consistently, so without his ability to run, our offense is just so damned restricted.   On top of it, I saw him miss (and by miss, I mean didn't even see) wide open receivers in the secondary on Saturday, opting instead for simple check downs.  Ramsey is just not a guy we'll win with.  And his backup is a true freshman.  I really think Ramsey is a huge factor in our offense's limitations; although I know he has a small fan club here.  Losing Westbrook last season cost us a bowl bid, I think.   We were awful against Purdue, otherwise we'd have been in one and this discussion is different. Losing Cole Gest this year has hurt as well.

I am not at all "100% in" on Tom Allen.  He had 2 penalties on HIM Saturday; and he needs to improve as much as anyone in that locker room.  Our second half adjustments have been lacking or non-existent; and I haven;'t yet seen the improvement I'd like to; especially on defense which is supposed to be his specialty.  We're not a disciplined team, either; and that disappoints me most of all.  We're not going to out-talent Iowa; so we have to maintain discipline and win all of the intangibles.  Saturday, we won none of them.

Ramsey isn't the reason why Grandpa DeBord is a trash offensive coordinator, no matter how many times you try saying otherwise. Ramsey supporters and Ramsey critics alike both think he's terrible. You're the only person I've seen on any IU site that thinks he is any good.

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

"Even if we hired an up and comer, the odds of his staying if and when he has success are minimal"..............that would be a great situation to be in for IU....,have a coach who is so successful u have other schools wanting him...that has never happened at IU...after IU fires their coaches they end up heading the janitor department at another school.(Lynch)...LOL

9 minutes ago, azguybob said:

"Even if we hired an up and comer, the odds of his staying if and when he has success are minimal"..............that would be a great situation to be in for IU....,have a coach who is so successful u have other schools wanting him...that has never happened at IU...after IU fires their coaches they end up heading the janitor department at another school.(Lynch)...LOL

Actually, Doug Mallory managed to latch on with an NFL team; he's the Falcons secondary coach. 

I guess he's just incompetent as a defensive coordinator.

34 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Actually, Doug Mallory managed to latch on with an NFL team; he's the Falcons secondary coach. 

I guess he's just incompetent as a defensive coordinator.

I was talking head coach.

2 hours ago, azguybob said:

They could become the next Lee Corso.