Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS vs Maryland

We host the Terps tonight @ 7:30. Go Hoosiers!

SCOUTING THE TERRAPINS
• The Maryland Terrapins enter Friday's match with the Hoosiers with an overall record of 4-4-2 on the season.
• Maryland enters the weekend in fifth place in the Big Ten with a record of 2-2 with wins over Rutgers and Northwestern.
• William James Herve leads the Terrapins with three goals and two assists this season.
• On the year, Maryland has scored nine goals and allowed nine goals.
• Before the season, the Terrapins were tabbed to finish third in the Big Ten in a poll conducted of the league's coaches.

SERIES HISTORY
• In the overall series between the Hoosiers and the Terrapins, Indiana leads Maryland, 3-2-6.
• Needless to say, the 11-match history between the two programs has been close, with the last four matches ending in draws.
• The Terrapins have had the edge in the series of late, posting a record of 2-0-6 in the last eight matches.
• Indiana hasn't beaten Maryland since the 2004 season.
• Overall, IU has out-scored the Terrapins, 14-13, in the series.

Preview

Live Stats

B1G Standings

Not going with cold and rain but will be watching whole thing from home on the big screen with my Roku.

We are facing the best defense and worst offense we will see this year. Hopefully we pull out a 1-0 win but a 0-0 draw is not out of question given the qualities of both defenses and wet field.

It comes down to arguably the 2 best goalies in the Big Ten if not the country. Their goalie Dane St. Clair is as good as Muse but plays with even more passion and excitement unlike Muse who is quietly effective and shows little emotion usually. Whoever can sneak a goal by one of them will win and it could be neither does like last year.

A win or tie tonight still keeps us in drivers seat for Big Ten Title as long as we at least tie MSU as well and beat the tire fires (OSU and Rutgers) on the road. A loss means we need to win out to ensure a title. 

1 hour ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Any way to watch this game on TV?

Subscription through BTN+ on Btn2go.com online. I pay for it ($10 a month or $80 once a year) but most don't.

Tuesday game vs. Butler on normal Big Ten Network. All the Olympic sports are occasionally on the regular BTN channel on TV but most often they are available through the aforementioned subscription online (99% of time you can watch all the Olympic sports game one of these two ways).  

gk     1    MUSE,TREY  
d       5    MEHL,TIMMY  
d       6    MAHER,JACK    
mf    7    SWARTZ,TREVOR    
f     10    RENNICKS,JUSTIN    
mf  11    THOMAS,CORY    
mf  13    MOORE,FRANCESCO    
mf  14    DORSEY,GRIFFIN  
d     15    GUTMAN,ANDREW    
mf  17    GUTJAHR,JEREMIAH  
d     19    BUCKMASTER,RECE

Fortunately live broadcast working just fine. Gutman scored one earlier in front of the goal off a pass into box but fouled someone (maybe bumped into St. Clair the goalie?) in process and goal waved off and given yellow. On goal didn't foul anyone fortunately and put it in off a corner. 

Update: Gutman did very slightly bump into St. Clair but was actually given a yellow card and goal disallowed for a hand ball. This was absolutely the right call as Gutman swung ball in with his hand like it was a volleyball and never made an attempt to kick it.

If you ever wanted to see the 2014 version of IU take on the 2018 version of IU we got that tonight as Maryland is essentially IU 2014.

Tons of speed (and its allowing Maryland to stop Rennicks and Dorsey from running through the D as they often do), a really good back line and goalie, great build up but absolutely no way to finish attempts. In 2014 we upset a ton of top teams with our talent but suffered some mind blowing home losses and ended up in the middle of the conference as result but annoyed and played everyone close in process. This is exactly what Maryland is doing this year and came out with a really good attack in first 10 minutes and put pressure on our D but could not come close to finishing anything. We then asserted ourselves and had the better of the play in a wide open up and down game before scoring.

Most teams with Maryland’s numbers park the bus but they actually play D with a normal number of guys and try to attack but are just incapable of finishing. Like our 2014 team they are one dynamic forward away from being a title contender but without that will flame out in second round of tourney like we did that year.

Very glad I am watching at home as my body is still adjusting to a 70 degree heated house and the cold weather so I would of froze in 40 degree rain. Also best camera of the season for the online broadcast as absolutely no blurriness at all and with the Roku on the big screen is indistinguishable from a game on regular BTN TV which is not usually the case.  

Gutman will ensure Big Ten title if it kills him. What a goal by him with 13 seconds left to win!. We are not quite as good as last year on D but more than good enough to win the national title and all but wrapped up the Big Ten title baring a terrible loss. We win the next 2 we wrap up the title without a single point vs. MSU. I will post full thoughts in a bit.

These last 2 years we are pulling out these nail biters after never doing it in 2013, 2014, 2015 or 2016. This is the difference why we got to College Cup last year and almost put the Big Ten Title on ice tonight and have a real shot to be holding the big championship trophy in December.

Last year we beat San Diego with a goal late in OT, got Wisconsin with very little time left in OT, got by PSU’s parked bus in OT and Beat MSU in PK’s to get to College Cup.

This year’s team is even more clutch scoring with 3 minutes left at UNC, scoring in OT vs. ND, scoring on NW’s parked bus with a couple minutes left and then the drama tonight.  

As I said this D is a hair behind last year but is still certainly championship quality and all these clutch matches and much harder schedule I think will bode well and have us even better prepared for tourney than last year. We are very much in the driver’s seat for the no. 1 seed in NCAA tourney if we take care of business down stretch and will really need to slip up to not get the top 4 seed needed for home field throughout.

Now focusing on tonight, Maryland is a bit down this year but talent wise is still the only team in the Big Ten that you feel like carries the same talent as IU. Unlike NW who had no business equalizing us Maryland earned the equalizer and played us even all night. They just pounded it in with what seemed like a 100 mph kick off a clearance on a free kick. No team in Big Ten not named IU or Maryland could kick a ball as hard as Maryland did on the equalizer. Rest of game was very equal with both teams splitting possession until we found the winner on the cross to Gutman with 13 seconds left.

Even when we played Michigan last game there was no doubt we had the more talented squad by a lot. Maryland lacks a finisher but otherwise matches us pound for pound at every position and is the only team in conference that can effectively match our speed and stop our counters when Dorsey or Rennicks speed up the field. Like I said take IU 2014 and apply to Maryland and you have this year’s Terps squad.

We just got through the hardest part of our schedule and all but put Big Ten Title away now and play 3 relatively weak teams next. Starting with Butler Tuesday we should win our next 3 no problem as long as we play our game. Butler is relatively strong on offense but their defense is a joke and has given up at least 2 goals if not more every game. There goalie hid a very bad D last year and always made one or 2 incredible saves a game that led to a 2-1 win a lot. This year without him those 1 or 2 incredible saves are going in the net and they are losing 3-2 most nights instead. Also one of their two speedy forwards left the team at end of last year so they are a bit easier to shut down on offense but they are still relatively solid there with 1 dynamic scorer still. Fortunately game is at home and last time the teams matched up with these circumstances in 2012 IU picked up an easy 2-0 win and I expect similar Tuesday. Game is on regular BTN so everyone can watch.     

I half regret not sitting it out in the rain tonight but given I saw the dramatic MSU win last year in PK’s and the ND OT win this year in person I have found enough good moments that I am glad I watched this in my well heated house. Also as I said earlier picture was super clear tonight on Roku on BTN2go and as good as a TV broadcast so that helped as well.