Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mamasa

George Taliaferro passes away at 91

Every so often, Doyel gets it right.  This is definitely well worth your time to read.  Quite an amazing man.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2015/03/09/doyel-george-taliaferros-amazing-life/24651887/

46 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Every so often, Doyel gets it right.  This is definitely well worth your time to read.  Quite an amazing man.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2015/03/09/doyel-george-taliaferros-amazing-life/24651887/

Neat article. I'm disappointed I didn't know of George until now. I did know of his wife, Judge Taliaferro. She was a major force in Monroe County and statewide for kids' rights and well-being. 

2 hours ago, mamasa said:

George Taliaferro dies at 91

Josh Alper
35 mins ago

a man wearing a red hat© George Taliaferro Sport Association

George Taliaferro, who was the first African-American drafted by an NFL team, has died at the age of 91.

The announcement of his death was made by the George Taliaferro Sport Association on Monday night. Taliaferro grew up in Indiana and starred on the University of Indiana’s only undefeated team before a stint in the United States Army in 1946.

He made history when he was drafted by the Bears in the 13th round of the 1949 draft, but opted to play in the All-American Football Conference with the Los Angeles Dons. He was named rookie of the year and then moved to the NFL with the New York Yankees in 1950. He also played for the Dallas Texans, Baltimore Colts and Philadelphia Eagles before retiring in 1955.

Taliaferro made three Pro Bowls while rushing 498 times for 2,266 yards and catching 95 passes for 1,300 yards. He scored 27 total touchdowns.

He returned to work for the University of Indiana after retirement. Our condolences go out to his loved ones on their loss.

RIP

Indiana University*

IU's plans to honor the late George Taliaferro:
— All flags on campus will be lowered to half-staff through this weekend's game vs. Iowa
— Taliaferro's No. 44 will replace the traditional IU logo on players' helmets vs. Iowa
— Moment of silence prior to Iowa game. #iufb

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners