Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#USWNT - 2019 World Cup CHAMPS!

Great second half! Only reason we did not get more goals is Heath was to slow to convert on those late runs in the open field. Like I said there are only a few teams in the World who can play us mostly equal for 90 min. and the Dutch is not one of them (England and France were). Much better job closing the game also.

To me player of game was Tobin Heath in what is also probably her final World Cup. This may surprise people since she did not score, but her ability to keep getting open caused fits for the Dutch and is what eventually tired them out to the point we broke them down.

Also big shout out to Alyssa Naeher who went from a liability to a solid goalie by the end. Only equivalent I can think of is the 2012 IU National Championship Team where Luis Soffner was a liability under Freitag and Yeagley fixed him is last couple years, but that took a couple years and a coaching change and this was done in a matter of couple weeks. We are set at goalie moving forward.

Congrats to the Women and lets get them equal play (and I rarely get political) at least on World Cup level. The equality of interest on the USMNT and USWNT is unmatched in any countries in most ways. Only team sport I can think of where women have more equality is Quidditch in Harry Potter and that is fictional. LOL

Moving forward as I said before, I am not making the mistake of thinking they are in trouble with all the older forwards like I did the mid's last time as Lavelle and Co. came in and did not miss a beat. We have a dynasty going and I am not making that mistake this time. There are plenty of players ready to replace Lloyd, Press, Heath and Rapinoe I am sure and Morgan who is the World's best still has one more good cycle in her. It's the same with IU. Lose 10 of 11 starters and I don't think we miss a beat this year (and this is because I saw them in spring and new players look more then ready to step in). When you have a dynasty its hard to break it.

Lastly Jill Ellis being British and hanging around the Americans so long has her with a weird cross between a British and American accent. 

I’m confused I can only find her having two assists still. She didn’t get any in the knockout rounds I know but only seeing two from group play. 

EDIT found it. She got an assist against Sweden and 2 against Thailand. But only fifa seems to have that stat right. Everywhere else seems to have missed it. 

Just ordered my daughter a Rapinoe jersey btw 

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

Great second half! Only reason we did not get more goals is Heath was to slow to convert on those late runs in the open field. Like I said there are only a few teams in the World who can play us mostly equal for 90 min. and the Dutch is not one of them (England and France were). Much better job closing the game also.

To me player of game was Tobin Heath in what is also probably her final World Cup. This may surprise people since she did not score, but her ability to keep getting open caused fits for the Dutch and is what eventually tired them out to the point we broke them down.

Also big shout out to Alyssa Naeher who went from a liability to a solid goalie by the end. Only equivalent I can think of is the 2012 IU National Championship Team where Luis Soffner was a liability under Freitag and Yeagley fixed him is last couple years, but that took a couple years and a coaching change and this was done in a matter of couple weeks. We are set at goalie moving forward.

Congrats to the Women and lets get them equal play (and I rarely get political) at least on World Cup level. The equality of interest on the USMNT and USWNT is unmatched in any countries in most ways. Only team sport I can think of where women have more equality is Quidditch in Harry Potter and that is fictional. LOL

Moving forward as I said before, I am not making the mistake of thinking they are in trouble with all the older forwards like I did the mid's last time as Lavelle and Co. came in and did not miss a beat. We have a dynasty going and I am not making that mistake this time. There are plenty of players ready to replace Lloyd, Press, Heath and Rapinoe I am sure and Morgan who is the World's best still has one more good cycle in her. It's the same with IU. Lose 10 of 11 starters and I don't think we miss a beat this year (and this is because I saw them in spring and new players look more then ready to step in). When you have a dynasty its hard to break it.

Lastly Jill Ellis being British and hanging around the Americans so long has her with a weird cross between a British and American accent. 

Equal pay for what? The women's teams actually get a larger percentage of the World Cup revenue than the men's teams. 

"The men’s World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women’s World Cup is expected to earn $131 millionfor the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/03/07/world-cup-soccer-pay-disparity-between-men-and-women-is-justified/

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Equal pay for what? The women's teams actually get a larger percentage of the World Cup revenue than the men's teams. 

"The men’s World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women’s World Cup is expected to earn $131 millionfor the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/03/07/world-cup-soccer-pay-disparity-between-men-and-women-is-justified/

There is more than just prize money for winning the World Cup. The US federation pays the teams per match. And atm the men would get more losing 10 games than the women do for winning 10 games. 

And the US women out earn the men in revenue draw. 

Looking at the roster imagine the olympics roster will look pretty similar  

2023 will be interesting. Morgan will likely still be starting. But then not sure. Hopefully Rapinoe is still around to be similar to Lloyd off the bench. Pugh hopefully will become more consistent. Press will still be herself hopefully.  Still need another starter or sub. Imagine one of the midfielders will move up maybe Ertz if need be utilizing our depth at MF 

35 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Looking at the roster imagine the olympics roster will look pretty similar  

2023 will be interesting. Morgan will likely still be starting. But then not sure. Hopefully Rapinoe is still around to be similar to Lloyd off the bench. Pugh hopefully will become more consistent. Press will still be herself hopefully.  Still need another starter or sub. Imagine one of the midfielders will move up maybe Ertz if need be utilizing our depth at MF 

Like I said with the Midfield this time, I am sure there are forwards waiting in the wings ready to play alongside Morgan and Pugh we have never heard of just like Lavelle, Mewis and Horan this time who were unknown before this World Cup. Rapinoe at 38 next time has almost no chance of being around. More likely Press and Heath at 34/35 would play the Lloyd role. 

Not worried and we will be right there for the foreseeable future 

25 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Like I said with the Midfield this time, I am sure there are forwards waiting in the wings ready to play alongside Morgan and Pugh we have never heard of just like Lavelle, Mewis and Horan this time who were unknown before this World Cup. Rapinoe at 38 next time has almost no chance of being around. More likely Press and Heath at 34/35 would play the Lloyd role. 

Not worried and we will be right there for the foreseeable future 

While I would agree usually a 38 year old has no chance. I probably would have said a 34 year old would never win the golden boot and golden ball. 

That being said I imagine Lloyd and Rapinoe both take a bow after next year. Hopefully with a gold medal. 

Women’s Victory tour starts on August 3rd in California. 

Last time they played 6 games. Each player gets roughly 15,000 per game so hopefully they can get at least that many. Be awesome if they played one in Cincy. 

And in regards to the Olympics sounds like Lloyd may have changed her mind and may have this have be her swan song. And also sounds like Jill Ellis May not be back. Which would be a huge blow.  For a new coach to get this team prepped for their style in a years time  

Well we concluded our victory tour. 

4 wins and a Tie. With another friendly in the middle for some reason. 

We have a new coach is now 2-0-0. 

Pairings for Olympic qualifying tourney are up. We avoided Canada and Mexico in our group so will almost certainly win our group with 9 points. 

Canada will almost certainly win their group as well. 

Canada and the US will almost certainly win their respective semifinal matches and play in finals. Both qualifying for the olympics. 

Alex Morgan hopes to play but will be a new mom. 

Canada qualified earlier today with a win. US is up 2-0 against Mexico. Likely moving on to play Canada. 

If that holds they will play on Sunday I believe for bragging rights essentially.  

Edit

Official now Canada and US in the Olympics.  A very strong field but some dangerous teams left out. 6 games in 17 days favors teams with depth( That’s good) and favors teams with youth (That’s bad). 

There’s going to be one or two teams completely out of their weight class  best case for US would be to get one in the group stage preferably as the last game so they can rest players  

Our ladies got the job done. 3 second half goals and a 3-0 win. 25-0 goal differential for the tourney. 

Our goalie who doesn’t give up a goal doesn’t win Golden glove simply because our team is so good she’s not tested all that hard. 

Very interested to who gets the last 2 spots out of Asia only real chance for another great team to get in. Will come down to two of China, South Korea and Australia. If you want the field to be weaker gotta hope for Aussies to lose to China and South Korea. Not really likely. My guess Aussies make it. 

After that you have an African country and another either African or South American country. No good teams to worry about. 

US will be favorites but probably not over the field. 

Olympics need to expand to 16 teams badly. 

Id say 

European Team #4

European Team #5 vs Asia #4

North America #3 vs South America #2{#3 takes spot against #2 African)

Oceania #2 vs African #3