Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#USWNT - 2019 World Cup CHAMPS!

Great to see Naeher finally come up big. She has definitely gotten stronger the last two games and today won us the game with the great save in the 32nd min and the PK save. You don't need a goalie often, but the once or twice you do it matters. It certainly did for IU last year when Trey Muse (who was probably the best goalie in college soccer all year) made 2 great saves against Notre Dame in tourney last year or there is no College Cup. I have wondered all tourney if Naeher was up for the big moment and finally today she was. 

Got the two toughest matches in the tourney out of the way (since Germany was upset) and now will have a weaker Netherlands or Italy team. I feel like we got this, but I also felt that after IU beat ND in tourney who was an equal and then faced a slightly inferior Maryland team only to lose. Very much the same here with England being an equal and then Italy or the Netherlands being competitive but inferior. Hopefully this time it happens. 

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Great to see Naeher finally come up big. She has definitely gotten stronger the last two games and today won us the game with the great save in the 32nd min and the PK save. You don't need a goalie often, but the once or twice you do it matters. It certainly did for IU last year when Trey Muse (who was probably the best goalie in college soccer all year) made 2 great saves against Notre Dame in tourney last year or there is no College Cup. I have wondered all tourney if Naeher was up for the big moment and finally today she was. 

Got the two toughest matches in the tourney out of the way (since Germany was upset) and now will have a weaker Netherlands or Italy team. I feel like we got this, but I also felt that after IU beat ND in tourney who was an equal and then faced a slightly inferior Maryland team only to lose. Very much the same here with England being an equal and then Italy or the Netherlands being competitive but inferior. Hopefully this time it happens. 

Sweden not Italy. I wish it was Italy 

Just finished watching the game.
1) Ball don't lie.
2) In the 1st half, I swore I heard what seemed to be the IU band playing for 10-15 minutes straight.

1) I actually agreed with the foul in the box. Could they have let that go? Definitely, but she absolutely clipped her leg effecting the SOG.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Despite all this talk about the rest of the world catching up to the US the USWNT have maintained head coaching records over 80% wins since 2005.  Going back to 95 only had one coach that couldn’t win 83% of their games in fact. 

In the 90s won 3 of 4 Major Tourneys

In the 00s won 2 of 5 Major Tourneys

In the 10s will have won 2/3 of 5 Major tourneys 

Seems pretty consistent. Although a better coach may have gotten another in the 00s

14 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Apparently there’s now talk the field is going to expand to 32 teams for 2023 btw 

I've got no issues with that. Just means that only the first and second place teams in each group go through to the knockout rounds rather than a few third place teams. Will add a group "G" and "H".

Should not effect US at all as they always win their group or at worst finish second. Our forwards are aging outside of Morgan and Pugh. However, I said the same thing last time about our Mid's and we just replaced them with Mewis, Lavelle and Horan this time who no one knew before this World Cup. The reality is we have a dynasty and as long as we keep winning and young girls keep getting into the game as they are now, there is another Lloyd, Rapinoe and Heath we have never heard of ready to go next World Cup and we will not miss a beat.

Same thing at IU. We lost 10 of our 11 starters, but guys you hardly know who are bench players and freshman are ready to step in this year (well I do since I saw a couple spring matches and follow closely but most won't) and not miss a beat. 

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

I've got no issues with that. Just means that only the first and second place teams in each group go through to the knockout rounds rather than a few third place teams. Will add a group "G" and "H".

Should not effect US at all as they always win their group or at worst finish second. Our forwards are aging outside of Morgan and Pugh. However, I said the same thing last time about our Mid's and we just replaced them with Mewis, Lavelle and Horan this time who no one knew before this World Cup. The reality is we have a dynasty and as long as we keep winning and young girls keep getting into the game as they are now, there is another Lloyd, Rapinoe and Heath we have never heard of ready to go next World Cup and we will not miss a beat.

Same thing at IU. We lost 10 of our 11 starters, but guys you hardly know who are bench players and freshman are ready to step in this year (well I do since I saw a couple spring matches and follow closely but most won't) and not miss a beat. 

Yep as long as Soccer is where US women athletes go to be actual superstar athletes we will continue to dominate. 

Expansion to 32 teams technically will help the US  by ensuring they get two low ranked teams in group but like you said they already win their group so not a big deal. 

If they win tomorrow they could easily turn their 12 win streak into 15+ the way these young players are playing. Barring something dramatic they will be heavily favored next year if we make the olympics(most likely will) and favored in 2023

19 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Not only expanding the field but doubling the prize money as well.  

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/fifa-looks-to-expand-women-s-world-cup-from-24-to-32-teams-070519

That’s key too If winners can get 8 million that over 300 thousand per player that’s enough that women can focus on training year round 

And Sweden on short rest after playing extra time just upset England. 100% why I didn’t want to play them. 

I truly believe there are two teams that are not the least bit intimidated by anybody else. And that’s the US and Sweden. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Ever since the giant brain fart against Spain our goal keeping has been extremely solid. 

Yes Naeher has definitely gotten better the last three games and is no longer a liability like early in the tourney. Been very solid recently.