Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#USWNT - 2019 World Cup CHAMPS!

Well US dodged a bullet. Didn't play well at all, but fortunately Rapinoe (who was not great most of the day) had two great PK's that were placed perfectly that won America the game. Rough game with lots of fouling and US did a poor job adjusting. Only players I thought were good today in the flow of the game were Sam Mewis and Rose Lavelle in the mid.

Take them anyway we can get them and must play better against France or we will go home. Big thing is Naeher has to be better. Besides the ridiculous goal she gave up, she made bad decisions a few times that almost cost US big. Do that against France and its an L. Hopefully she learned a valuable lesson today while still getting the win.

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

If there is any question why the US held onto Hope Solo so long despite all her legal trouble this World Cup explains it. If you are as good as Solo and the goalies behind you are this mediocre, you stretch out a troubled star as long as possible rightly or wrongly. 

US has the team to win it all again. Just hope Naeher doesn't blow it for them.

I just rewatched it and for the life of me I don’t know what her line of thinking really was there. 

Hopefully Jane Campbell is ready by 2023

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

Well US dodged a bullet. Didn't play well at all, but fortunately Rapinoe (who was not great most of the day) had two great PK's that were placed perfectly that won America the game. Rough game with lots of fouling and US did a poor job adjusting. Only players I thought were good today in the flow of the game were Sam Mewis and Rose Lavelle in the mid.

Take them anyway we can get them and must play better against France or we will go home. Big thing is Naeher has to be better. Besides the ridiculous goal she gave up, she made bad decisions a few times that almost cost US big. Do that against France and its an L. Hopefully she learned a valuable lesson today while still getting the win.

Rapinoe hasn't played well at all in this tournament. Today I thought that there were a few others also. Dunn didn't look comfortable at all and was challenged to get back quite a bit. Thought we would see some subs earlier than we did. Miss Horan out there because she is a beast, but who are you going to sit? Carly could have been inserted earlier because things always seem to happen when she is playing. Thought we could have used Press outside also.

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

Noticed too this World Cup that the US seems to want to play close out front of their own box more instead of clearing up field quicker. Spain's goal a direct result and almost gave some opportunities to Sweden that way.

54 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Noticed too this World Cup that the US seems to want to play close out front of their own box more instead of clearing up field quicker. Spain's goal a direct result and almost gave some opportunities to Sweden that way.

That's the mentality of 'playing from the back'. In mens football the better teams realize that when the front players are pressing the defenders, you ping it over the top and you have an advantage going forward and if the opposing team gets possession, they're at midfield instead of your own 18.

That's the mentality of 'playing from the back'. In mens football the better teams realize that when the front players are pressing the defenders, you ping it over the top and you have an advantage going forward and if the opposing team gets possession, they're at midfield instead of your own 18.

True but you also have to determine if possession on the defensive end is better than a 50/50 ball you are trying to ping over the top.

Good to have a varied approach but both have risks.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

23 hours ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Spain’s goal was a result of playing from the back it was from playing poorly. 

Playing poorly in any style is going to give up easy goals. 

Right now I think the US has no choice but to play from the back. We attempt to use our superior skill and experience to maintain possession. We don’t have the youth or personnel to try and blast it downfield and to outrun the defenders. 

21 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

Quarterfinals all set.

Norway vs England - 6/27 @ 3 pm on FOX

USA vs France - 6/28 @ 3 pm on FOX

Italy vs Netherlands - 6/29 @ 9 am on FS1

Germany vs Sweden - 6/29 @ 12:30 pm on FS1

Wish USA France was on Saturday so I could watch.