Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUMS @ Notre Dame

55 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

OK soccer experts help me out; I readily admit I do not fully understand the rules of soccer.  I've watched the replay innumerable times but still have no clear understanding of what the 'controversy' was all about.   And remember your explanations need to be such that even an old fart can understand.   Thanks one and all.

Rennicks when he scored the goal was beyond the last defender in front of the goal. In soccer off sides is called anytime a player is beyond the last defender when receiving a pass regardless of his position on field. However, the rule only applies if ball touches an IU player first. If it touches a defender first off sides is nullified.

In this case it is hard to tell whether the corner was booted into box by Swartz to Kleyn and flicked onto Rennicks or if it went Swartz hit ND defender first and went on to Rennicks. If its the first scenario it should of been called off sides but if its second no off sides.

The off sides rule in soccer is horrible in my opinion and should not apply after ball crosses the area in front of the box but I don't make the rules and that's how it is played at all levels. Further adding to the controversy was the assistant ref first ruled Rennicks off sides and Kleyn had hit the ball. However, after discussing it with the head referee he over ruled the assistant referee and said ball hit defender first and called the goal good.