Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Indiana vs Virginia Game Thread 09/08 7:30PM ET BTN

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

For all of those people who have said there is no reason Indiana can't consistently play with the big boys on the football field, I offer you....that.  Everything from clock management to penalties to a QB who simply cannot throw the ball down the field with consistency to unlucky injuries season after season...    Indiana will always be able to play in the middle.    This is who we are.   A really good win.  A necessary win.  But it showed our ceiling.   

Eh....this is a game we normally lose. Too many times has a team beat us on the last drive because we left too much time on the clock. Hard to read this team right now given we opened on the road and played in a monsoon tonight. We need to consistently play better D, which Allen has improved upon since his arrival. We're recruiting better as well. 

Do I think we're anywhere near becoming a B-level program ala West Virginia or Missouri? No. But I do think the pieces are falling into place for this program to become more like Minnesota or Iowa on their "off years" in that we should be able to pull off a quality upset in most seasons, expect 8 wins a season, and pull in top 40 recruiting classes every few years. We're definitely not doormats anymore.

I don't think that Debord is going to be the OC beyond a few more seasons, but he's not a terrible pick right now as Allen settles into building the program's identity.

5 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

I would’ve liked to have seen Penix some tonight. He showed to be a more accurate passer last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised he didn't get a series or two.

Ok I didn’t see the game but why the hate for Ramsey. Completed 16 of 22 for like 9 yards per catch. Hardly terrible judging from the conditions. 

Not really hate since I like Ramsey but he under-threw several passes where the receiver bailed him out and floated a few out patterns. All things considered, my opinion is Penix makes the offense better and has better skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Stevie Scott runs all whole lot like Jordan Howard. 

From what I saw tonight, maybe even a touch faster and just as good. 

I liked what I saw tonight, but I'm going to need a little bigger sample to make that claim.

21 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

For all of those people who have said there is no reason Indiana can't consistently play with the big boys on the football field, I offer you....that.  Everything from clock management to penalties to a QB who simply cannot throw the ball down the field with consistency to unlucky injuries season after season...    Indiana will always be able to play in the middle.    This is who we are.   A really good win.  A necessary win.  But it showed our ceiling.   

Ramsey can throw downfield just fine. They were playing in a monsoon tonight and he still completed 73% of his passes. 

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Ok I didn’t see the game but why the hate for Ramsey. Completed 16 of 22 for like 9 yards per catch. Hardly terrible judging from the conditions. 

I didn't think his overall performance was bad, but he made a terrible throw early in the second half that got picked off and actually made me say "Dammit, Lagow" because of how similar it was to Lagow's many boneheaded throws.

1 hour ago, Magnanimous said:

Eh....this is a game we normally lose. Too many times has a team beat us on the last drive because we left too much time on the clock. Hard to read this team right now given we opened on the road and played in a monsoon tonight. We need to consistently play better D, which Allen has improved upon since his arrival. We're recruiting better as well. 

Do I think we're anywhere near becoming a B-level program ala West Virginia or Missouri? No. But I do think the pieces are falling into place for this program to become more like Minnesota or Iowa on their "off years" in that we should be able to pull off a quality upset in most seasons, expect 8 wins a season, and pull in top 40 recruiting classes every few years. We're definitely not doormats anymore.

I don't think that Debord is going to be the OC beyond a few more seasons, but he's not a terrible pick right now as Allen settles into building the program's identity.

I think we can be better than that, but I was referring to some who said it was a loser's mentality to believe we will never be on par with Ohio State, etc.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Ramsey can throw downfield just fine. They were playing in a monsoon tonight and he still completed 73% of his passes. 

Your eyes work?

His completion % might be the most misleading stat in sports.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Stevie Scott runs all whole lot like Jordan Howard. 

From what I saw tonight, maybe even a touch faster and just as good. 

Missed the game for a wedding. Glad to hear this; makes me feel a tiny bit better about our season

18 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Your eyes work?

His completion % might be the most misleading stat in sports.

My eyes are just fine. They've watched him throw 5 touchdowns in the first two games this year. He doesn't have a cannon but he has a serviceable arm that can make throws downfield when the staff opens up the playbook. 

50 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I think we can be better than that, but I was referring to some who said it was a loser's mentality to believe we will never be on par with Ohio State, etc.

Wisconsin proved that a large enough commitment to the program and the right coach(es) can transform a team from nothing into a premier program, but I agree that it's naive to just think we can go from a historical bottom-dweller into a perennial power by "committing" more to the program. It's a fairly established club at this point.

Like others said his WR's bailed him out numerous times, terrible decision/throw in 2nd half, seemed slower on scrambles and runs tonight (could've been weather), almost zero zip on passes and just seemed ok overall. Again he was ok as was most of the team. His #'s though were certainly misleading. I think he's our version of Alex Smith. He'll do fine and won't make a bunch of mistakes but in the end you aren't going anywhere with him. He just doesn't change the game like someone with a great set of skills whatever they may be.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

Great win! 

Horrible weather.  Power 5 opponent.  Front 5 and front 7 controlled the line of scrimmage.    

Ramsey and Scott is exactly what Coach Allen is looking for on the offensive side.  It's not pretty but effective.  Ramsey's ability to run the ball is the reason why Scott racked up 200+ on a power 5 conference football team.  If Virginia didn't adjust after IU's first drive, Ramsey more than likely rushes for 100+ yards.  Ramsey was able to read his options effectively and Scott let his front 5 open holes for him.  It was absolutely beautiful to watch.  

Most importantly, IU was able to run the ball and put Virginia in a lot of 3rd and longs all while the defense pretty much won this game and that will be the mantra of IU football under Coach Allen.