Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

IU QB Dawkins Leaves IU program

12 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

It's not just one season, it's IU football. I get this is Allen's second year and I want to believe we get to 6+ wins but I really thought Dawkins would be that difference maker to get us over the top. We haven't had solid QB play in a long time. And I liked what I saw at times from Ramsey last season but I thought one of his biggest issues was arm strength. I wonder how much you can improve that? I assume some but it's not something you just wake up with one day if you know what I mean. Also, very disappointed in Ellison. Really liked him as our bellcow this year. I think he is far and away the best back on the roster. 

Dawkins is statistically less of a passer than Ramsey.  If you were concerned with having Ramsey then Dawkins wasn't likely the solution either.

12 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

It's not just one season, it's IU football. I get this is Allen's second year and I want to believe we get to 6+ wins but I really thought Dawkins would be that difference maker to get us over the top. We haven't had solid QB play in a long time. And I liked what I saw at times from Ramsey last season but I thought one of his biggest issues was arm strength. I wonder how much you can improve that? I assume some but it's not something you just wake up with one day if you know what I mean. Also, very disappointed in Ellison. Really liked him as our bellcow this year. I think he is far and away the best back on the roster. 

Suds was a pretty decent QB who was a stud. And that wasn’t that long ago. Again I’m not saying he woke up yesterday and was like eh I want more arm strength. It’s something you can work on just like pitchers can work on speed. There’s things you can do and drill you can do to increase those things. I get why people were excited to have dawkins, becuase I was excited too. But I didn’t name him the starter ASAP like most did. The kid extended plays and made people miss running. He didn’t have great arm strength or accuracy the times he threw the ball. So did we just want a flashy QB?....I think that’s what I’m seeing. 

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Dawkins is statistically less of a passer than Ramsey.  If you were concerned with having Ramsey then Dawkins wasn't likely the solution either.

But Dawkins was a better runner. I probably put too much excitement into his stats at AZ. I think a lot of people did without seeing him play. That and the fact that Debord seems to like having a dual threat QB at the helm. I'll be very interested to see how Ramsey looks on Saturday. 

19 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

But Dawkins was a better runner. I probably put too much excitement into his stats at AZ. I think a lot of people did without seeing him play. That and the fact that Debord seems to like having a dual threat QB at the helm. I'll be very interested to see how Ramsey looks on Saturday. 

QBs have to be able to pass.  Dawkins seemed to me like one of those run first so-called "QBs" in which case the loss doesn't bother me much.

I guess from Dawkins standpoint he lost out as starter due to an injury back at AZ and thought he would become the starter here. Now to be named 2nd or 3rd is a bad situation.  As long as we can stay healthy I think this is good for IU. He was only here for a year as an experienced hand.

It's too bad he wasted his time with us and likewise we wasted our time with him. It would have been nice to give Penix and Taylor more time to practice (knowing Ramsey wouldn't have lost time with or without Dawkins.)  I just hope we don't have injuries and are saying "if only" later this year.

Edited by VPC

Heart felt instagram post from Dawkins explaining that he is leaving the program and football all together due to his failing mental health. Really sad to hear. Hopefully he gets the help he needs.

[/url]

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I really hope he and others with mental illness will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This quote by CTA just doesn't match up with what Dawkins is saying:

“One of them decided to leave when it didn’t work out for him. That kind of caught me off guard. … You focus on the guys that are here and want to be here. I don’t have anything negative to say about Brandon. I wish him the very best, but I was surprised by that.”

“One of them decided to leave when it didn’t work out for him. That kind of caught me off guard. … You focus on the guys that are here and want to be here. I don’t have anything negative to say about Brandon. I wish him the very best, but I was surprised by that.”

One begets the other.

I'm sure BD is mentality fragile right now and disliking football BECAUSE of how things went at Arizona AND losing the QB battle at Indiana.

Not everyone has the same mental strength. I wish BD the best and hope he finds something else to be passionate about.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

57 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

I don't know that CTA knew the exact reason why Brandon left team when he said that. That quote is from his weekly radio show, which occurred before Brandon made his statement/social media post. CTA did mention in a later interview that IU would be there for anything that Brandon needed.

I don't know that CTA knew the exact reason why Brandon left team when he said that. That quote is from his weekly radio show, which occurred before Brandon made his statement/social media post. CTA did mention in a later interview that IU would be there for anything that Brandon needed.

Glad to hear that CTA and IU would be there for him. Regardless of status; student, student-athlete, faculty, etc. I hope IU is there for them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

Ahh ok thanks for clearing that up, I thought that was quite unlike Allen to say something like that